Executive Search: Assistant General Manager for Capitol Hill Club
- November 18, 2021
- Patrick DeLozier, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Assistant General Manager
Capitol Hill Club
The Capitol Hill Club (the Club), just steps from the halls of Congress and next door to the Republican National Committee, was founded to support a community of working professionals and leaders. Members of Congress, government representatives, event attendees, meeting planners, staff and guests patronize the Club daily to connect with influential leaders and use the Club’s resources productively.
Members and guests of the Capitol Hill Club have access to multiple dining areas including the Presidential Dining Room and grill. The Club features fourteen meeting rooms ideal for private events and business meetings. Throughout the year, the Club hosts a myriad of special events including epicurean adventures, winemaker dinners, fundraisers, theme parties and concerts.
Club Facts and Figures
- Members: 3,900
- Initiation fee: $3,000
- Annual dues: $1,728 (resident)
- Gross volume: $9,000,000
- Gross payroll: $4,800,000
- Employees: 100
- Board members: 39, with 1, 2, and 3 year terms
- Average age of membership: 49
The Assistant General Manager Position
The Assistant General Manager reports to, and works closely with, the General Manager. He/she is responsible for all operations of the Club in the absence of the General Manager.
This position requires core competency and knowledge of management requirements for food & beverage, engineering, and maintenance/repair functions at the Club. In addition, the incumbent must possess the ability to recognize and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions. Knowledge of and ability to perform in emergency situations are critical to the role.
The Assistant General Manager must also possess and utilize analytical, organizational and project management skills while maintaining focus on details.
A strong and visible hands-on presence to maintain contact with members and ensure their satisfaction will be a daily requirement.
- Director of Banquets & Catering
- Building Engineer
- Outlet Managers
- Executive Chef
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies, and Expectations
- Ability to function as the Club’s general manager during his/her absence.
- Knowledge of management requirements for food & beverage, engineering, and maintenance and repair functions at the Club.
- Demonstrate appropriate analytical skills, attention to detail, organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions; skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform required role in emergency situations.
- Maintains contact with members and helps to ensure maximum member satisfaction.
- Receives and resolves member/guest complaints; partners with Human Resources (HR) to resolve employee issues.
- Approves scheduling, staffing and general operating procedures, and works directly with department heads on Club plans for rooms, maintenance, repair and security.
- Monitors the budget and directs corrective actions as necessary to ensure budget goals are attained.
- Functions as an administrative liaison between departments.
- Monitors internal cost control procedures.
- Plans and coordinates training/professional development for himself/herself and Club personnel.
- Assists the General Manager in the development and implementation of long-range strategic plans and annual business plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Monitors safety conditions and employees’ conformance with said procedures; updates emergency plans/procedures and assures that effective training for these programs is conducted in all departments.
- Assures the Club’s preventative maintenance and energy management programs and Master Plan are on schedule and in use.
- Assists in the planning of facility improvements, remodeling, construction and repair; interacts with appropriate Club committees.
- Participates in ongoing facility inspections throughout the Club to ensure cleanliness, maintenance, safety and other standards are consistently attained.
- Serves as an ad hoc member of appropriate Club committees.
- May serve as a department manager in the event of manager’s absence.
- Attends scheduled management and staff meetings.
- Interacts with members to answer questions, solve problems, and oversee services.
- Provides tours of Club facilities to visitors.
- Approves all entertainment, in consultation with the Director of Membership & Marketing, and others.
- Serves as a representative of the Club in the community.
- Counsels managers and employees regarding grievances and complaints; directs corrective action where possible.
- Monitors labor; evaluates scheduled and actual hours and costs.
- Research and analyze new product costs and benefits.
- Oversees daily Club operations.
- Reviews all accidents and works with HR to complete required reports.
- Advises the General Manager about the development and revision of the Club’s bylaws and policies.
- Consistently enforces all policies for members, guests and staff.
- Works with HR to develop long-term staffing needs for the Club.
- Ensures all legal requirements are consistently followed.
- Performs Clubhouse opening and closing duties when required.
- Monitors employee and member dress costs for compliance with policies.
- Conducts training and meetings with department staff.
- Completes other assignments as requested by the General Manager.
Important Individual Characteristics
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- A hands on leadership style that promotes staff and management engagement.
- An enthusiastic personality and passion for the club management profession.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of how to deliver remarkable food and beverage experiences.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Maintain high visibility among members and staff to ensure a high level of satisfaction.
- Understands the importance of digital communications and is proficient in website and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; hospitality management emphasis preferred.
- Six or more years of related experience; a minimum of three years as a manager.
- Substantial private club or hospitality industry experience with management and supervisory experience, and progressive professional advancement.
- Skilled management and knowledge of capital projects.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Monday, December 20, 2021.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Capitol Hill Club AGM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Capitol Hill AGM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please e-mail resume with references.
For more information about Capitol Hill Club, visit www.capitolhillclub.org.
Lead Search Executive