Executive Search: General Manager/COO for Wisconsin Club
- January 11, 2023
- Patrick DeLozier, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
Built in 1843 by Alexander Mitchell, grandfather of General Billy Mitchell, the current City Club clubhouse has been a fixture of the rich history of Milwaukee and is listed on the National Registry of Historical Places. The Wisconsin Club (the Club) is a connected community of inclusive, diverse and caring people that has everything a club can offer. The Club strives to provide members and their guests with the absolute best club experience possible, highlighted by incredible personalized service at both its City and Country Club locations. The Club offers an exceptional private club experience at great value. Senior staff possess years of club experience with ongoing caring and consistency, which go a long way in providing personalized service to members and guests.
In addition to its top-notch facilities, members enjoy a variety of social events for all ages, offering terrific opportunities to mingle with old friends or meet new ones.
- 1244 members. 514 regular, 459 golf, 118 sports, 302 social
- Initiation fee: Resident member golf $12,000
- Annual dues: $6,700,000
- Gross volume: $12,000,000 (including dues)
- F&B volume: $5,000,000
- Gross payroll: $6,000,000
- 300 employees in-season; 200 off-season
- 9 Board members
- Average age of membership: 63
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer Position
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer (GM/COO) reports to the Board and coordinates with its President on a regular basis to implement the established policies and the Club's bylaws. The GM/COO also coordinates all management functions and works in concert with committee chairs to assist in the development of proposed policies, programs, events, etc.
He/she develops operational policies and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all departments. This includes the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets, and management of operations to attain the desired results.
This position requires taking the lead to coordinate programming and the development of departmental synergy. Another critical requirement of the position is to oversee the internal and external marketing strategies for membership growth and member engagement.
A strong and visible presence will be a daily requirement to set the example for all employees to consistently treat members with warm hospitality and professional service.
- Chief Financial Officer
- City Club Manager
- Assistant General Manager
- Director of Grounds and Facilities Maintenance
- Director of Marketing and Communication.
- Director of Transportation and Concierge Services
- Director of Membership
- Head Golf Pro
Important Individual Characteristics
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the board and committees.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club come to fruition.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement.
- An enthusiastic personality and passion for the club management profession.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of how to deliver remarkable food and beverage experiences.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Maintain a high level of visibility to members and staff as the face of the Club.
- Understands the importance of digital communication and can utilize web and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of progressive leadership and management experience in the Hospitality Industry and Private Club Environment. Current Assistant General Managers or Clubhouse Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement will also be considered.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business is preferred.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation or working towards one preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, February 3, 2023.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Wisconsin Club GM/COO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Wisconsin Club GM/COO Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail resume with references.
All requested information, along with references, should be emailed to the address above.
Lead Search Executive
For more information about Wisconsin Club, please visit www.wisconsinclub.com.