Executive Search: Head Professional at Earl Grey Golf Club
- November 7, 2018
- Governance, Latest News, Placement
Earl Grey Golf Club:
Following and respecting the traditions of the past while providing facilities and improvements for future generations.
Earl Grey was founded in 1919 by Major Duncan Stuart, a practicing city lawyer, who organized a group of people interested in playing golf. The original course, which consisted of five holes, was located on land leased from the C.P.R., south of and adjacent to the Earl Grey Public School in the Mount Royal district. The Club moved on two occasions, and in 1932, a twenty-year lease was negotiated with the City of Calgary for the present site.
Rejuvenation and Transition:
Improvements were made to the courses and clubhouse over the years leading to a transition to the current club designed to meet member expectations for the entire family. In anticipation of celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2019, the Club is conducting a facility wide rejuvenation. This started in 2015 with the development of a new state of the art Maintenance facility, the renovation of the 9-hole Par 3 Course in 2016, and now the renovation and renewal of the 18-hole Championship Course, Driving Range, parking lots and the build of a new Clubhouse and Professional Shop in 2018. With the addition of two HD Golf Simulators and a SAM Puttlab located in the Professional Shop, Earl Grey is positioned to be a leader in the industry. A new club and power cart storage facility is set to open in the spring of 2019.
There is little doubt that Earl Grey will continue as one of Calgary’s premiere family Golf Clubs and a choice of many for years to come. The new Head Professional has an opportunity to be a part of the Club’s exciting future.
We are looking for a Head Professional reporting to the General Manager to oversee the Golf Operations of the Club. The Head Professional will deliver a consistently excellent member experience within the existing financial framework. The Head Professional will balance innovation with tradition as the history of the club is highly valued by Shareholders and members of the club. The anticipated start date is in January 2019.
The Head Professional will be responsible for the following:
- The consistent delivery of a member experience commensurate with specified member expectations.
- The supervision of the Golf Operation and Golf Operation Staff
- Recruitment, training, development, performance management and leadership of Golf Operations staff
- Preparation of the Golf operating and capital budgets.
- Golf Operations Staff who report directly to the Head Professional and are responsible for the day-to-day activities and processes. Although the Head Professional will rely on the Staff to operate the daily activities, the Head Professional will be responsible for overall performance metrics and service.
- Working with the Golf Operations staff, management team and various member committees, to develop and implement merchandising programs, club tournaments, leagues, coaching and lesson programs and outside events.
- Purchasing, merchandising, sales and marketing, inventory management, and financial performance of all aspects of the Pro Shop.
- Representation of the Club to members, staff and external agencies. The Head Professional is engaged in new member recruitment.
The initial key areas of focus for the Head Professional will be:
- To complete the transition to the new Club facilities to maximize member use and benefit from renovation of the golf courses together with the new clubhouse in preparation for the Club’s 100 Anniversary Celebrations in 2019.
- To maximize the Club’s primary revenue sources of membership recruitment and retention.
- To understand the Club’s mission, vision and evolving culture though interaction with members of all categories. This will be essential in building and executing plans and services to deliver the member experience model.
- To work with the General Manager in reviewing and potentially enhancing the current Club Strategic Plan.
The Head Professional reports to the General Manager. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic objectives of Earl Grey Golf Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- Class A member of the PGA of Canada with Head Professional experience preferred
- Highly visible leader with friendly and outgoing personality, and focus on member service
- An out of the box thinker determined to be innovative in the modern world of golf operations
- A leadership style that lends itself to being the ‘face of the golf experience’.
- An ability to work collaboratively with the active volunteer base at the club to achieve results
- An understanding of a private member owned club culture
- A demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of the Professional Shop retail business
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, hire, train and motivate Golf Operations staff
- Accountable for the implementation of the annual Golf Operations budget, monthly reporting and budget creation
- Proficient instructor well versed in the latest club fitting and teaching technologies
- Proven leadership, management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely with the Management Team
- Ability to organize and oversee annual golf event fixtures and programs including participation in the internal marketing and administration of the events and programs
- Familiarity with Jonas software an asset
- Ability to implement, enforce and maintain all policies, programs and plans as established and communicated through the General Manager
- Ability to market, schedule and manage any external competitions and events
- Provide support for prospective member sales, new member integration and membership retention programs
- Maintain and promote a well-respected and professional image within the Club, the industry and community
- A keen interest in continuous learning and professional development in the industry
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivation and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes;
- A self-starter and results oriented work style combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with all the Club’s stakeholders;
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Monday, November 26th, 2018. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name EG Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, EG Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
Global Golf Advisors Inc.
For more information on Earl Grey Golf Club: www.earlgreygolfclub.com