Executive Search: GM/COO at Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club
- April 16, 2019
- Latest News, Placement, Governance
General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
SHAUGHNESSY GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB
Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club:
Founded in 1911 when Vancouver was just 25 years old, Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club traces its history back to the earliest days of golf on the West Coast. First located on Canadian Pacific Railway lands, the Club moved in 1960 to the ancestral site of the Musqueam Nation's winter village. As one of Canada's premier country clubs, Shaughnessy has served as the proud host of many prestigious events and notable figures in golf and tennis over these 100+ years; that tradition was continued when the Club hosted its fourth Canadian Open golf championship in 2011. Shaughnessy was the last championship-length golf course that A.V. Macan (1882-1964) designed in Canada. The Irish-born golf architect was highly regarded in the Pacific Northwest as a brilliant designer and an amateur golf champion in his earlier years.
Today’s Club features an award-winning clubhouse, highly-ranked and competitive golf course, indoor and outdoor tennis, fitness and a golf performance centre. The Club also owns and operates a public golf course in Richmond, BC.
We are looking for a General Manager/Chief Operating Officer (GM/COO) reporting to the Executive, comprised of the President, Vice President and Past President, to oversee the Club’s operations. The GM/COO has full responsibility for all aspects of operations at the Club, effectively managing all resources to deliver a consistently excellent member experience. The GM/COO will guide and assist the Board in the development and implementation of Club policies and programs.
The GM/COO will be responsible for the following:
- Prepare the annual operating and capital budgets and manage the Club’s combined financial results;
- Establish and maintain relationships with all levels of government, Indigenous organizations, national bodies and club industry associations;
- Attend all Board meetings and ensure that the Board is kept promptly advised of all activities of the Club and its financial progress;
- Work with the Board in reviewing and potentially enhancing the Club’s strategic alternatives. After considering the Club’s strategic alternatives, construct a Business Plan and a Marketing Plan that drives Club revenues and achieves the agreed upon financial results;
- Oversee the operation of the Club’s public golf course;
- Ongoing course and facility improvements, and,
- Such other activities as delegated by the Executive.
The GM/COO reports to the Executive. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Shaughnessy, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivation and leading by example, has the ability to provide direction and manage expectations;
- Previous experience as a senior leader at a private golf club or other similar entity, experience in the hospitality industry beneficial;
- A self-starter and results oriented work style combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with all the Club’s stakeholders; including unionized employees at the Club’s public golf course;
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member/customer approach;
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds;
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance model or COO governance model;
- Experience managing national and international tournaments;
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline, a Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred, and
- Experience in negotiating complicated contracts between the Club and all levels of government, Indigenous organizations, national bodies and industry organizations.
The position is currently vacant.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Tuesday, April 30th, 2019. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or .PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name Shaughnessy Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, Shaughnessy Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Golf Advisors Inc.
For more information on Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club: www.shaughnessy.org