Executive Search: Chief Operating Officer at Scarboro Golf & Country Club
- June 12, 2019
- Latest News, Placement, Governance
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
SCARBORO GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB
Scarboro Golf & Country Club has a truly unique and prestigious history which dates back to 1912. The Club is a private member club in eastern Toronto, Canada and has an 18-hole golf course that is consistently ranked among the top 100 courses in Canada with a grand Edwardian clubhouse which opened in 1914.
The course was originally designed by George Cummings and was extensively changed in 1924 under the direction of A. W. Tillinghast. The golf course went through a further renovation in 2010 which was overseen by famed golf architect Gil Hanse. Mr. Hanse designed the golf course in Rio to host the 2016 Olympics. He has designed and worked on many other world-renowned golf courses and performed numerous Tillinghast restorations.
Scarboro has been proud host of the Canadian Open golf tournament four times. Past Champions include Sam Snead, Bobby Locke, Dave Douglas and Doug Ford. In hosting the 1958 Canadian Amateur Championship, a first-round casualty was an 18-year-old Jack Nicklaus. In 1961, the course was one of 25 that hosted the World Series of Golf matches between Masters and British Open champions, Gary Player and Arnold Palmer. In fact, Mr. Palmer was so taken with the golf course, he included Scarboro’ s signature par 3 Hole # 14 as one of his all-time favourite holes. Numerous other professional and amateur events have been conducted on the Club's fairways over the years including the CPGA tour championship in 2012.
We are looking for a Chief Operating Officer (/COO) reporting to the Board of Directors to oversee the Club’s operations. The COO has full responsibility for all aspects of operations including sales and marketing at the Club, effectively managing all resources to deliver a consistently excellent member experience. The COO, with oversight from the Board, will guide and assist the Board in the development and implementation of Club policies and programs.
The COO will be responsible for the following:
- The consistent delivery of a member experience commensurate with specified member expectations as well as member recruitment.
- The performance management for the Club’s financial results, sales, marketing, operating processes and senior management performance. Senior Managers who report directly to the COO and are responsible for the day-to-day activities and processes. Although the COO will rely on the Senior Managers to operate the daily activities, the COO will be ultimately responsible for overall performance metrics and service, member growth and retention and revenue growth.
- Representation of the Club to members, staff and external agencies. The COO is engaged in new member onboarding.
- The execution of the Scarboro Golf & CC Strategic Plan and resulting Business Plan, Membership Development Plan and overall marketing strategy.
- The supervision of the entire Club operation including food and beverage operations, membership services, golf services operations, golf course maintenance, Club facilities and administrative services.
- The execution of Board policy and strategy.
The COO reports to the Board. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic objectives of Scarboro Golf & Country Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivation and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes;
- Previous experience as a senior leader at a private club or other similar facility is desirable, experience in the hospitality industry beneficial;
- A self-starter and results oriented work style combined with excellent collaborative, communication and interpersonal skills with all the Club’s stakeholders;
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent customer/member approach, demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds;
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen to maximize revenue potential through aggressive member acquisition as well as effective retention programs;
- Politically astute. Able to identify potential issues and deal effectively with them while exercising tact and diplomacy;
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management;
- Readily accepts and responds to challenges. Directly confronts problems, seeks help when needed and is solution oriented;
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles;
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory and matters affecting the Club;
- Experience reporting to and collaborating with a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and COO to success;
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline preferred;
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
The position is currently vacant.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Scarboro COO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Scarboro COO Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Golf Advisors Inc.
For more information on Scarboro Golf and Country Club: www.scarborogolf.com