Executive Search: Assistant General Manager at Savannah Yacht Club
- December 14, 2019
- Executive Search, Governance, Latest News, Placement
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER
SAVANNAH YACHT CLUB
The Savannah Yacht Club is a private, family-oriented Club dedicated to member satisfaction through superior service and quality facilities.
The Savannah Yacht Club was originated on June 14, 1869, as the Regatta Association of Chatham County and the association was succeeded seven years later on June 7, 1876, by the formal organization of the Savannah Yacht Club.
The Club offers a variety of recreational activities including sailing, boating, tennis, swimming, and several dining options. The active member participation and enjoyment of the Savannah Yacht Club can be attributed to sound management and mindful planning by the Board of Stewards. Operational flexibility and an annual review of the policies, practices, and planned projects will assure the membership of the Club for many years of continued success.
The Assistant General Manager is considered the “go-to manager” for the General Manager/COO. He/she manages and is responsible for all aspects of the food and beverage program as well as the upkeep and appearance of conditions throughout the Clubhouse. This individual will plan and implement complex annual budgets for the food and beverage and swimming pool operations as well as hire, train, and supervise subordinates. The Assistant General Manager is directly responsible for the catering department, all food and beverage outlets, as well as the pool complex and housekeeping. He/she will be responsible for continuous improvements for the operations of all the food and beverage outlets throughout the entire Club.
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated professional with a proven and stable record of food and beverage management at a reputable private club, restaurant, or hotel – knowledge of fine wines and a strong sense of pairing wine with food is imperative.
The Assistant General Manager will have a proven work history that demonstrates knowledge and a steady upward career track in successful operations. This personable professional is a member of the Executive Staff and will work with other department heads to ensure that the expectations of members and guests are exceeded. He/she will be genuinely people-oriented, “visible” and readily accessible, and responsive to the membership.
- Assures that effective orientation and training for new staff, and professional development activities for exceptional staff, are planned and implemented. Develops ongoing professional development and training programs for food production, service and bar production/service personnel.
- Helps plan and approve external and internal marketing and sales promotion activities for the department. Works on keeping Club functions/promotions for all Food and Beverage activities fresh and appealing to membership. Ensures that an accurate reservations system is in place.
- Helps plan and approve the organizational chart, staffing, and scheduling procedures as well as job description/specifications for all Food and Beverage departments, Pool Facility and Housekeeping staff.
- Monitors purchasing and receiving procedures for front of the house products and supplies to ensure proper quantities, quality, and price for all purchases.
- Maintains contact with members and helps to ensure maximum member satisfaction.
- Oversees bar operation, develops wine list and bottle/glass wine sales promotion programs in conjunction with the Food and Beverage Service Manager and Bar Manager.
- Responsible for correct handling procedures to minimize china and glassware breakage and food waste. Ensures storage areas are neat and orderly.
- Maintains appearance, upkeep and cleanliness of all Food and Beverage equipment and facilities. Initiates ongoing facility inspections throughout the Club to assure that cleanliness, preventive maintenance, safety, and other standards are consistently attained.
- Addresses member and guest complaints/suggestions and advises the General Manager/COO about appropriate actions taken.
- Assists in planning and implementing procedures for special Club events and banquets functions.
- Functions as an administrative link between departments.
- Occasionally works as a department head when needed.
- Manages all aspects of the Club in the absents of the General Manager/COO.
- Assists in developing the operating budget for Food and Beverage department outlets, the Pool Facility, and Housekeeping. After approval, monitors and takes corrective action as necessary to help ensure that budget goals are attained.
- Ensures that all standard operating procedures for revenue and cost control are in place and consistently utilized.
- Approves/reviews all invoices before submitting them to the accounting department.
- Manages physical inventory verification and provides updated information to the Accounting department. Responsible for beverage inventory.
- Responsible to the proper accounting and reconciliation for point-of-sale system and member revenues.
- Audits and approves payroll sheets on as needed basis.
Manages and is responsible for all aspects of the day to day Food and Beverage operation, Pool Facility, and Housekeeping. Plans and implements budgets; hires, trains and supervises subordinates. Plans, assigns and directs work; appraises performance; disciplines as required; addresses complaints and helps to resolve problems. Directly responsible for catering and Food and Beverage needs throughout the property. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Assist the General Manager/COO in establishing and implementing long-range and annual plans, operating report, forecast and budgets.
More About Savannah Yacht Club:
$6M Gross Volume
$3M Annual Dues
$2M F&B Volume
100 Employees in-season
Average age of members is 57
Given the active role this individual will be expected to play in the maintaining the standards of excellence of the Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in club, restaurant or hotel management environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) preferred or in active pursuit of designation.
- Must be proficient in all Microsoft applications. Jonas experience is preferred.
A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position becomes available January 1, 2020.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package, including Club Management Association of America (CMAA) dues and education, a comprehensive medical insurance program according to Club policy, 401k program with employer matching contribution, vacation, and professional development.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday January 3, 2020, and if possible, sooner. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Savannah AGM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Savannah AGM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
For more information on the Savannah Yacht Club: www.savannahyachtclub.org