Executive Search: General Manager at The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club
- January 9, 2020
- Latest News, Placement, Governance, Executive Search
The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club:
The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club was formed in 1903, seventeen years after Vancouver was incorporated. Since the early days, the Club has developed into a year-round, full-service operation with seven offshore stations and three food & beverage outlets between the two home ports. A membership of 5,000+ embraces all forms of yachting and social activities. The Clubhouse and Jericho home port are in the beautiful Point Grey residential area and offer easy access to English Bay. Our Coal Harbour home port is nestled into the shores of Stanley Park, a stone's throw from the cycling path, park trails and downtown Vancouver.
Reporting to the Executive Committee (Board), the General Manager serves as Club’s Chief Operating Officer and implements the Club’s policies and strategy as defined by its Executive Committee. The General Manager is responsible for leading and directing all day-to-day and long-term activities associated with the Club.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Work with the Executive Committee in the execution of the Strategic Plan, from the Strategic Plan, construct a Business Plan and a Marketing Plan that drives Club revenues and achieves the agreed upon financial results.
- Effectively manage and oversee Club Operations. Senior Managers who report directly to the GM and are responsible for the day-to-day activities and processes. Although the GM will rely on the Senior Managers to operate the daily activities, the GM will be ultimately responsible for overall performance metrics and service.
- Develop and implement an effective sales and marketing strategy to increase membership and awareness of The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club within the local community.
- Design, implement and maintain operating policies and procedures that align and support the Club’s policies as defined by the Executive Committee.
- Conduct an ongoing evaluation of Club programs and events to ensure the consistent provision of outstanding services to meet the needs and expectations of members, guests, and employees.
- Represent the Club to members, employees and external agencies. The GM is engaged in new member recruitment and onboarding.
- Manage the development, implementation and ongoing monitoring of the annual operating and capital budgets and the Club’s overall financial results.
- Maintain effective communication with the Executive Committee on Club operations, financial reports, risk analysis, compliance, asset management, human resources, membership initiatives and capital projects.
Given the leading role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of the Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivation and lead by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes;
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred;
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience operating at a senior level in a private club or other similar athletic/social facility;
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member/customer approach;
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen with the ability to “grow the membership” through traditional and innovative sales and marketing techniques;
- A definite business presence complemented with personal drive, resourcefulness, maturity and sound business judgment, with integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds;
- A self-starter approach, results oriented work style combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- An innovative and decisive professional who possesses a positive demeanor;
- Experience reporting to an Executive Committee that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to collaborative success;
- A strong boating background, preferably with an excellent profile in the club industry.
The current General Manager will tentatively retire on March 31, 2020.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, January 31, 2020. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, RVYC Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, RVYC Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
For more information on The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club: www.royalvan.com