Executive Search: General Manager at Camp Lake James
- October 23, 2020
- Executive Search, Governance, Placement
CAMP LAKE JAMES
Camp Lake James is an incredible lakeside adventure center in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, just 45 minutes east of Asheville, NC, surrounded by thousands of acres of public land with access to hundreds of miles of hiking and biking trails.
Perfectly situated in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, Camp Lake James is a private, member-owned social club which offers the ultimate in lake lifestyle. The Camp is a rustic resort where neighbors socialize, stop by for lunch or drinks on the dock, lounge by the pool or slip into the hot tub, take a paddleboard or kayak out on the lake, hit up the gym, or play lawn games and roast marshmallows at the fire pit.
The Camp has everything members and guests need to relax, play, and create special memories with family, friends, and neighbors. Members of the community spend their days kayaking or canoeing on clear mountain waters, cooling off in the pool, or unwinding around a crackling campfire while roasting marshmallows. After a day on the lake, nothing is better than kicking back at the Social Hall and getting a bite to eat at the County Line Canteen.
The expert staff at the Camp ensure that time spent here is truly memorable and the Activities Director organizes events throughout the year and plans unique, popular events for all ages. Members enjoy wine tastings, camping and ski trips, holiday parties, bonfires on the beach, movies under the stars, family sports, games, crafts, and a dinner club.
Members soak-in nature walks along the shores of Lake James while listening for native frog calls or enjoy a glass of wine during Friday nights “Drinks at the Dock” and Saturday Socials with friends and neighbors. A day at the Camp holds as much or as little diversion as they desire.
Members are warmly welcomed and enjoy resort-style amenities at Camp Lake James when they purchase a home or homesite in 1780 or Old Wildlife Club, both dazzling communities on Lake James. A limited number of recreational licenses enable others to join the Camp, affording access to a resort-style pool, outdoor spa, tennis courts, fishing pond, state-of-the-art fitness facility, and much more.
Camp Lake James At A Glance
- Social Hall & County Line Canteen
- Resort-style pool, outdoor spa, and toddler pool
- State-of-the-art indoor fitness facility
- Beach area with canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards
- Expo Center with bar, snacks, lounge and fireplaces
- Tennis and pickleball courts
- Outdoor amphitheater & fire pit
- Game room & lawn games
- Hully Gully fishing pond
- Boat docking for members
- Neighborhood trail access
Camp Lake James Overview
- 321 Member families (homesites)
- $1.80M Gross volume
- $750K Annual dues
- $600K Rental revenue
- $250K F&B/Events volume
- 25 Employees in-season; 8-9 off-season
- 5 Board members
The General Manager Position:
The General Manager of Camp Lake James is responsible for maintaining a constant focus on the Camp’s commitment to instill a culture of continuous improvement and elevation of the member experience in every area of the operation. An understanding of and appreciation for the nuances and training involved in cultivating this type of cultural environment is required.
The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors and coordinates with the President of the Board on a regular basis. The General Manager implements the policies established by the Board and the Camp’s bylaws. He/she develops operational policies and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all areas. This includes the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets and management of operations to attain the desired results consistent with strategic vision and planning.
The General Manager coordinates all management functions and works in concert with committee chairs in assisting them in the development of proposed policies, programs, events, etcetera.
The General Manager is the lead coordinator of programming and development of synergy among all departments. Overseeing the Camp’s strategies for high levels of member engagement and satisfaction with Camp experience is a critical part of the position.
Connecting with members and staff is a top priority, the General Manager should have a strong presence and seek to be highly visible to the membership and staff. He or she sets the tone for consistently treating members with first class hospitality and communicates this expectation to the entire staff as well. The overarching focus of the General Manager, and the focus instilled in his or her team, should be on the overall member experience.
Important Individual Characteristics:
The General Manager is responsible to “lead by example”, the camaraderie and engaging nature that is seen throughout the Camp must be exemplified by the General Manager in a natural and intuitively engaging style. He/she must “walk the talk” and exhibit a passion for developing and maintain an environment of extreme hospitality.
- A naturally enthusiastic personality and passion for the club management and hospitality profession.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement.
- A mind for innovation and action with an ability to act as a thought partner with the board, committees, and homeowners.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience overseeing small-scale and large-scale service and facility enhancements.
- Ability to create and implement strategic plans, with disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Camp come to fruition.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of top-notch food and beverage and event experiences for Camp members and guests.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Maintain a high level of visibility to members and staff as the face of the Camp.
- Understands the importance of digital communication and can utilize web and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to anticipate how the Camp needs to evolve, done by being actively networked in the club industry and being on the forefront of trends in hospitality, club management, and lifestyle communities.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club or hospitality environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Active involvement in CMAA or similar organizations where there is a strong network of peers that stay actively abreast of the industry, trends, and opportunities is preferred. Possessing a Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation, or working toward achieving one, is an advantage for applicants.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available October 20, 2020.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Camp offers a compensation package which includes a performance bonus plus full benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, November 13, 2020.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Camp LJ GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Camp LJ GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please email resume with references.