Executive Search: Director of Golf Course at Cherokee Country Club
- January 22, 2021
- Placement, Governance, Executive Search
DIRECTOR OF GOLF COURSE
CHEROKEE COUNTRY CLUB
Founded in 1907, Cherokee Country Club is a private, member-owned country club which has a long tradition dedicated to enriching the lives of its members and their families by providing the finest in dining, social, and recreational interests in a private club environment.
Cherokee Country Club is recognized as one of Knoxville’s greatest assets, featuring a classic, elegant Clubhouse, top-quality athletic and social activities, and a golf course designed by the legendary Donald Ross.
The Club’s goal is to promote and elevate golf so that the pursuit of the game is an important part of members’ lifestyle and recreational pleasure. Cherokee offers golf at its finest and is truly an exceptional golf experience for all levels of players. A classic 18-hole Donald Ross links-style course opened in 1907 and is supported by golf facilities that include an extensive golf shop, practice range, practice putting and chipping green.
Members are afforded access to the most prestigious tennis facilities in East Tennessee. The Club is home to nine outdoor and four indoor courts in addition to an outstanding pro-shop and each court is accentuated by a beautiful east Tennessee Valley view.
Recognizing the growing emphasis of a healthy lifestyle, Cherokee strives to provide the ultimate fitness and wellness experience through its fitness center and health program, which is operated by Performance Training, Inc. (PTI). Members enjoy a comprehensive health and fitness experience through a variety of services which include personalized training, group exercise classes, nutrition coaching, physical therapy and rehabilitation, as well as fitness assessments and consultations.
The Cherokee Aquatic Center and Overlook Bar and Grill offer a fun and safe gathering place for children and adults alike. Featuring both a family and a competition pool, the resort-style facilities were recently renovated to include kids’ entertainment zones and a pool bar. The Family Pool includes zero-entry access, Baja shelves, shade sails, slash fountains, and an adult lounge area. The competition length pool is wonderful for swimming, lap and severs the competitive Cherokee Swim Team.
Cherokee provides a wide selection of dining venues to accommodate members’ dining needs and the experienced culinary team is one of the finest in the Southeast. Whether it’s a quick bite to eat in the Pub, or dinner with the family in the Sequoyah Room, the Club’s talented staff are there to make sure all of members’ dining needs are met.
Since its inception, Cherokee has been the recreational home for generations of families and the Club’s story is about more than brick and mortar; about more that golf, swimming, bowling, and tennis; and about more than bridge, music, and social events. Cherokee Country Club’s story is about the hard work and hearts of generations of people, people who stand together, play together and work together.
Cherokee Country Club Overview
- 914 Members
- Initiation Fee (Resident Member Golf: $40,000)
- $15M Gross Volume
- $5.0M Annual Dues
- $4.70M Gross Payroll
- Average age of members is 58
- Greens: Bent Grass
- Fairways: Bermuda
- Tee Boxes: Bermuda/Zoysia
The Director of Golf Course Position
The Director of Golf Course reports to the General Manager/COO and coordinates with the Greens Committee Chair on a regular basis. The Director of Golf Course implements the policies established by the Board of Directors and the Club's bylaws. He/she develops operational policies and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all areas.
The Director of Golf Course is the lead catalyst for driving excellence in the golf experience and establishing standards for agronomic practices are critical part of the position. The Director of Golf must facilitate an environment where staff is involved and enthusiastic, with open communication and respect for themselves, members, guests and the property.
The Director of Golf Course should have a strong presence and seek to be highly visible to the membership and staff. They set the tone of pride in setting the course conditions for a first-class golf experience.
- Responsible for all phases of Golf Course Maintenance and Agronomic operations and related personnel.
- Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the Head Golf Professional on any issues related to golf course maintenance.
- Plans and assists in the direction, construction, and maintenance of the grounds.
- Plans and assists in the design of landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
- Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations, and policies for staff.
- Supports and assists with membership seminars and orientations as applicable.
- Works closely with the General Manager/COO and Board to operate the Golf Course in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
- Provides technical, operational, and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals, and fertilizers.
- Develops an annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains, records, and completes required reporting which includes ordering parts, supplies, and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, fairways, and roughs.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating, and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skills to resolve conflict resolution professionally.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing, and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules, and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees and/or greens.
- 5-7 years’ experience as a Golf Superintendent or 1st Assistant
- 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science).
- Advanced computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Certification by the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America is preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available February 3, 2021.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, February 3, 2021.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Cherokee DOGC Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Cherokee DOGC Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail résumé with references.
For more information about Cherokee Country Club, please visit cherokeecountryclub.com.