Executive Search: General Manager at Mount Vernon Country Club
- June 2, 2021
- Executive Search, Governance, Placement
MOUNT VERNON COUNTRY CLUB
Founded in 1961, Mount Vernon Country Club is a member-owned golf and country club in Alexandria, Virginia, located 19 miles from Washington, D.C. The Club features an 18-hole championship golf course with work from golf course designers Russell Roberts, Ed Ault, and most recently, Bill Love. The course winds its way through the original forest of George Washington's Mount Vernon farm and is enhanced by the presence of Dogue Creek, a Potomac River Chesapeake tidal tributary which lends a water hazard challenge on 14 of Mount Vernon's 18 holes.
Mount Vernon Club is a family-friendly environment primarily focused on golf and dining. The Club offers five distinct food and beverage locations for Member’s enjoyment. The pool complex features a pool and the Barracuda Grill. The Clubhouse consists of the administrative offices, kitchen, member dining areas, lounge and banquet facilities. The Club currently benefits from a full membership with a growing wait list.
Mount Vernon Country Club Overview:
- 700 Members (Golf: 475, Other: 225)
- Initiation Fee (Resident Member Golf: $32,000)
- Annual Dues (Golf: $7,068 and Capital Dues $1,236)
- $8.30M Gross volume
- $3.70M Annual dues
- $2.30M F&B volume
- $3.30M Gross payroll
- 120 Employees in-season; 90 off-season
- 9 Board members
The General Manager Position
The General Manager reports to the Board and coordinates with the President of the Board on a regular basis. The General Manager implements the policies established by the Board of Directors and the Club's bylaws. He/she develops operational policies and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all areas of the club. This includes the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets and management of operations to attain the desired results.
The General Manager coordinates all management functions and works in concert with committee chairs to assist in the development of proposed policies, programs, events, etc.
The General Manager is the lead coordinator of programming and development of synergy among all departments. Overseeing the internal and external marketing strategies for membership growth and member engagement is a critical part of the position. The General Manager will work with the Board to develop the current long- range plan which will include significant upgrades to the golf course and amenities.
The General Manager should have a strong presence and seek to be highly visible to the membership and staff. The General Manager sets the tone for consistently treating members with first class hospitality and is responsible for communicating these expectations to the entire staff.
Important Individual Characteristics:
- A naturally enthusiastic personality and passion for the club management profession.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement and camaraderie.
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the board and committees.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club come to fruition.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possesses a strong understanding of top-notch food and beverage experiences for Club members and guests.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Maintains a high level of visibility to members and staff as the face of the Club.
- Understands the importance of digital communication and can utilize web and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment. Current Assistant General Managers or Clubhouse Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement will also be considered.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available August 1, 2021.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, June 25, 2021.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Mount Vernon GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Mount Vernon GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please email résumé with references.
Lead Search Executive
For more information about Mount Vernon Country Club, please visit www.mountvernoncc.org.