Executive Search: General Manager/Chief Operating Officer for The Victoria Golf Club
- November 8, 2021
- Placement, Private Clubs, George Pinches, Michael Gregory, Executive Search
General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
Victoria Golf Club
Victoria, British Columbia
The Victoria Golf Club, founded in 1893, is the oldest 18-hole golf club in Canada in its original location, and second oldest in North America. The course began as 14 holes but quickly expanded to 18 in 1895. The current course is largely the same layout as 1923 with recent restoration to most of its holes by Architect Jeff Mingay. Our stately Clubhouse, completed in 1928 and a registered Canadian Historic Place, has undergone a number of expansions and renovations (including the most recent in 1993) and provides a grand and comfortable venue to begin your own memories.
On a links-style course, the dynamic relationship between golfer and environment are more closely knit than ever. Designed as nature allowed, our golf course is best experienced while walking and enjoying the magnificent west coast environment.
The Victoria Golf Club is nestled in the beautiful municipality of Oak Bay, in a heritage neighborhood lined with Garry Oaks and hanging flower baskets, on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. Blessed with a warm, dry microclimate that keeps our holes green and free of snow, we get to play golf year-round here.
To learn more about the Club, visit www.victoriagolf.com.
The Position: General Manager and Chief Operating Officer
This historic and unique Canadian golf club is seeking a General Manager and Chief Operating Officer (GM/COO) who is dedicated to the Club’s Mission, Vision and Values. Reporting to the Board of Directors through the President, the GM/COO is the leader of the Club’s management team and is responsible for managing all facets of the Club’s operations in accordance with the strategies, plans and policies approved by the Board.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and deliver a consistently excellent member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier private club.
- Effectively manage all aspects of the Club’s activities and services to ensure a high level of member satisfaction and referrals to their family, friends, and colleagues.
- Develop and implement innovative, industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures, and methods. Direct the work of and support the development of all department managers.
- In consultation with the Board, deliver long and short-term financial objectives. Ensure that the financial integrity of the Club is maintained at all times.
- Prepare forecasts and execute the financial plan for the Club including development of annual operating, cash, and capital budgets. Prepare financial reports to the Board.
- Develop an organizational structure that is in keeping with the values and the strategic direction of the Club. Act as a mentor to Direct Reports.
- Coordinate and implement the strategies within the Club’s short and long-range strategic plan as approved by the Board.
- Welcome new Club members, “meet and greet” all Club members as practical during their visits to the Club.
- Maintain a visible and outgoing presence and lines of communications in the Club with members and staff. Responsible for ensuring communications initiatives and appropriate marketing tools are developed to increase the visibility of the Club to current and potential members.
- Develop ongoing dialogue and rapport with members by being present at all major Club functions.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
Head Golf Professional, Links Superintendent, Food and Beverage Manager, Executive Chef, Controller, Administrative Assistant, Director of Sales and Marketing, Communications Director and Building Superintendent.
The GM/COO will report to the Board of Directors through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Victoria Golf Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dependable, and dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example.
- Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback with recognition that leads to positive outcomes. Fully engage and inspire department managers and their teams to enhance member experiences.
- Exhibit leadership skills in continued team building, employee motivation and service training consistent with the Board’s desire to create a club environment that is inclusive and safe for all members and staff.
- Foster and support equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) within the Club through adoption of best practices for an inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Proudly represent the Club as its spokesperson to internal and external groups through strong communication and presentation skills.
Member and Guest Experience:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service as expected at a member-owned club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services, and communications.
- Demonstrates integrity, ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful leader through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, empathy, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work-style combined with excellent verbal and written communication as well as interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- A confident, diplomatic, competent professional who is a “doer”. A take-charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability and innovation.
- A track record of strong professional results with a clear commitment to member service.
- Interacts with an open and transparent approach with members while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a strong understanding of all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management, marketing and performance management.
- An innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Experience successfully leading hospitality operations in a club or similar setting.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business, hospitality or professional golf management credential is preferable.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Experience as a senior leader in a private club environment or other similar top tier facility.
- A passion and understanding of what it means to deliver a consistently excellent member experience.
- Hospitality experience with an excellent understanding of food and beverage operations, including pricing, menu development, inventory management and costing.
- Proven experience developing and managing budgets and business plans.
- Experience reporting to a board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM/COO to thrive.
- Evidence of continued professional development.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits.
Application Process and Deadline
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, November 26, 2021. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Victoria Resume” and "Last Name, First Name, Victoria Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
Lead Search Executives