Executive Search: General Manager for Ozaukee Country Club
- November 4, 2021
- Executive Search, Patrick DeLozier, Placement, Private Clubs
Ozaukee Country Club
Founded in 1922, Ozaukee Country Club (the Club) is located in Mequon, Wisconsin, a short, 15-mile drive from downtown Milwaukee. This member-owned club is known for its challenging golf course, featuring pristine greens and fairways. The club has been honored to host several Wisconsin State Golf Association (WSGA) and United States Golf Association (USGA) tournaments, including the 2014 Wisconsin State Amateur Championship. In 2022, the Club will celebrate its 100th anniversary and host the 2022 Wisconsin State Open.
The welcoming atmosphere, beautiful grounds and personalized service are what make Ozaukee Country Club a special place. The Club’s focus is family entertainment, offered through strong youth programs that include junior golf, Kidz Klub, a swim team, and Kamp Oz. The spectacular golf course, elegant and casual dining, and outdoor bar/patio and pool complex combined with the warm, friendly atmosphere ensures that Ozaukee Country Club offers something for all seeking to enjoy the benefits of a private club lifestyle.
Club Facts and Figures
- 378 memberships - Golf: 268, Social: 77, Other: 33 (Social Dining and Honorary)
- Initiation fee - Golf: $15,000
- Annual Dues: $12,235
- $5.8M Gross Revenue
- $2.8M Annual Dues
- $1.6M F&B Volume
- $2.2M Gross Payroll
- 140 Employees in-season; 40 off-season
- 7 Board members
- Average age of members is 56
The General Manager Position
The General Manager reports to, and interfaces with, the Board on a regular basis to establish and implement programs, policies and procedures in accordance with the Club’s bylaws. He/she is responsible for managing all club operations, including preparation of the annual operating plan and budget, and building and leading the management team and all staff to achieve the desired results.
The General Manager coordinates all management functions, and works in concert with the Board and its committees to assist in the development of policies, programs, events, etc..., to meet the club’s near- and long-term objectives
Overseeing internal and external marketing strategies for membership growth and member engagement is a critical part of the position, as is serving as the lead coordinator of programming. The General Manager will be responsible for developing and maintaining synergy among all departments. The ideal candidate will be a capable leader with a strong presence who will maintain high visibility with the membership and staff. He/she will set the tone for consistently delivering first- class hospitality and will communicate this expectation to the entire team.
Important Individual Characteristics
- A naturally enthusiastic personality with a passion for the club management profession.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement.
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the board and committees.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club come to fruition.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of top-notch golf and food & beverage experiences for Club members and guests.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in all aspects of golf shop operations and tournaments/events.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Skilled in maintaining high visibility among members and staff as the face of the Club.
- Strength in communicating through digital tools, including the website and social media to correspond with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a world-class team with a shared vision.
- Head Golf Professional
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Maintenance and Facilities
- Food & Beverage Manager
- Executive Chef
- Events and Marketing Manager
- Recreations Department
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience within private club, hospitality or leisure environments. Current Assistant General Managers or Clubhouse Managers at well-recognized organizations, with verifiable records of achievement, will also be considered.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred or working towards one.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Monday, November 29, 2021.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Ozaukee GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Ozaukee GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please e-mail resume with references.
For more information about Ozaukee Country Club, please visit www.ozaukeecc.com.
Lead Search Executive