Executive Search: Director of Food and Beverage at Glen Arven Country Club
- January 5, 2022
- Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Director of Food and Beverage
Glen Arven Country Club
Founded in 1892, Glen Arven has thrived in a classic American small town for 130 years. Throughout its storied history, the Club was home to three United States Golf Association Women’s Amateur champions and was the host of multiple early PGA Tour events which featured legends Ben Hogan, Gene Sarazen, and Byron Nelson. Throughout the years, Glen Arven has proudly produced current PGA Tour and NCAA players, who carry on the Club’s notable golf history. The championship golf course was renovated in 2014 by famed architect Bob Cupp, to the acclaim and admiration of golfers throughout the region.
Glen Arven, built on a foundation of stability and excellence, is a full service country club offering golf, tennis, pool amenities and multiple dining options. Additionally, the Club is home to a world-class racquet facility featuring nine clay courts, along with a staff of three racquet professionals with accomplished NCAA careers. The facility was awarded the 2019 United States Tennis Association Outstanding Private Facility Award.
Governed by a Board Of Directors, the club benefits from great stability with an average Board member tenure of ten years. Additionally, the Club’s Department Heads reflect cohesion with long standing tenures.
Not satisfied to rest on its laurels, Glen Arven is in the design revision phase of a six million dollar clubhouse renovation, the scope of which includes a complete renovation to the kitchen and dining areas, in addition to updating enhancements to all locker room areas. The kitchen will feature an enlarged footprint with all new all new prep equipment displayed in an enhanced floor plan. The dining areas are being fully updated to reflect a modernized upscale casual design. The golf course maintenance facility is currently being relocated to a new site which will feature an industry leading facility design.
- 620 Members – 383 golf; 92 social and 145 non-resident members
- Initiation Fee – Full membership $20,000; Social membership $10,000
- Annual Dues – $7,000
- $6.8M Gross Volume
- $3M Annual Dues
- $1.5M F&B Volume
- $3M Gross Payroll
- Employees – 52 full time; 38 part time. Fluctuates minimally throughout the year.
- 7 Board Members
- Average age of members - 58
Director of Food and Beverage Position
The Director of Food and Beverage is responsible for all of the clubs’ food and beverage operations as well as the dissemination of hospitality, friendliness and goodwill among members, guests and staff. His/her number one priority is to ensure members and guests enjoy the facilities and events of the Club.
In addition to building relationships with Club members, guests, and employees, the Director of Food & Beverage provides support to the respective committees and advisory groups. As the public face of these operations, a hands-on approach, and understanding that full member and staff engagement is critical, is required to succeed in this position.
The Director of Food and Beverage consistently provides anticipated and enhanced hospitality along with superb dining and other food and beverage experiences for the Club’s membership and their guests. Alignment with the Executive Chef is very important in this position to ensure collaborative, innovative, harmonious relationships between front- and back-of-house operations.
This Director of Food & Beverage reports directly to the General Manager and will work alongside the Executive Chef. All service staff will be direct reports, including shift leaders and bartenders. He/she will also prepare annual department budgets in concert with the General Manager.
- Consistent, highly-visible, sincere and significant engagement with members and staff in the dining areas of the club is of the utmost importance. It is the ultimate responsibility of the Director of Food and Beverage to ensure all member dining, amenities and club events are well-conceived and executed.
- Provide quality leadership in a positive and upbeat manner for the members, guests and staff.
- Create and maintain a first-class service culture throughout the Club campus.
- Address and resolve all member and guest complaints, suggestions, general service, employee attitude, maintenance, and presentation of the clubhouse operations.
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring and development of all food and beverage personnel.
- Oversee ongoing training programs complete with up-to-date training manuals to ensure exceptional service in all parts of the Club’s operation.
- Provide for training and future development of all subordinate managers and supervisors, subject to budget approval by the General Manager. Instill the concept of being team players in all employees. Continue to coach, counsel, and evaluate departmental staff.
- Ensure a positive spirit and healthy work environment exists throughout all Club operations, one that is free of safety risks and all forms of employee harassment.
- Maintain an effective two-way communications program with employees to ensure they are treated in a fair, structured and consistent manner.
- Function as an administrative and communication link between departments in the Club.
- Guarantee that all clubhouse employees are regularly trained and certified in areas that help guard the safety and well-being of our members, guests and other employees including, but not limited to, responsible alcohol service, safe food handling, etc.
- Help to facilitate a team environment with positive morale, high ethical standards and efficient use of resources to position Glen Arven Country Club as the preferred employer of choice in the community.
- Work jointly with the Controller and General Manager to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for all food and beverage operations; assist in the management and control of operations to attain the desired results.
- Monitor the budget each week/month and direct any corrective action, as necessary, to assure budgeted goals are attained.
- Provide input for all clubhouse and service personnel regarding annual budgets, capital spending plans, fiscal controls and operational guidelines.
- Manage and maintain all labor cost payouts within the constraints of the budget, and through close coordination and approval from the General Manager and Controller.
- Monitor payroll records to control overtime and maintain labor costs within budgetary guidelines.
- Supervise the purchase, receipt, safekeeping and disbursement of operating supplies and equipment to maximize quality and profitability.
- Display a strong hands-on approach and lead the staff by example.
- Maintain an environment of approachability by staff, members and guests.
- Assist the General Manager in developing and implementing long-range (strategic) and annual (business) plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Work with Human Resources to develop long-term staffing needs for each area of responsibility.
- Own the responsibility for hiring, discipline, termination and documentation of all food, beverage and service staff.
- Review all accidents and work with HR and Safety Committee to complete accident reports and implement improved procedures to prevent the situation from reoccurring.
- Attend senior management meetings and carry out directives agreed upon during the meetings along with any other requests of the General Manager. All actions must be carried out in a timely manner.
- Serve as an ad-hoc member of appropriate Club committees and advisory groups.
- Possess a warm personality, a sense of humor and the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and members.
- Work with the Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Manager and others to develop P&L statements prior to each event. Produce an event recap along with all appropriate documentation/history, keeping it on file for future use.
- Work with Executive Chef on menu development.
- Work with the F&B team to organize and market special club events.
- Further his/her own continued development as a club management professional as a member of CMAA. With the assistance and approval of the General Manager participate in appropriate seminars/training programs, thereby enhancing his/her value and quality of services to Glen Arven Country Club.
- Understand and abide by Glen Arven Country Club policies and departmental procedures. Suggest changes, and when appropriate, direct the implementation of approved changes.
- Provide content for, and manage communications and marketing information, of department activities and events for all F&B departments.
- Assure Food and Beverage operations and campus venues are run in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Disseminate information effectively and coordinate activities between departments in a timely manner.
- Alert the General Manager of all potential problems and activities related to the smooth operation of the clubhouse and other food service venues.
- Oversee inventory management throughout departments and complete a periodic china, glass and silver inventory to maintain par levels.
- Coordinate and approve all entertainment in consultation with General Manager and others.
- Possess a sharp eye for detail in the overall management of the operation.
- Report performance and financial data, e.g., weekly report to General Manager in a timely manner.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club or hospitality environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) or in active pursuit of designation preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available immediately.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, February 4, 2022.
These documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, GACC DF&B Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, GACC DF&B Résumé”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All requested information, along with references, should be emailed to the address above.
For more information about Glen Arven Country club, please visit glenarven.com.