Executive Search: General Manager for Country Hills Golf Club
- February 3, 2022
- Michael Gregory, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Country Hills Golf Club
Position title: General Manager
Course: Country Hills Golf Club
Reports to: Board of Directors
Job Type: Full Time
Application Deadline: February 21, 2022
Start Date: ASAP
About Country Hills Golf Club
Country Hills Golf Club (CHGC) is a private, member-owned facility with two courses that provide distinct and exciting golf experiences.
To promote an engaging culture of family and friends with remarkable golf and social experiences for everyone.
To deliver the most complete golf experience for the contemporary Albertan family.
Country Hills Golf Club is the only 36-hole facility within Calgary city limits and is located 20 minutes from downtown and less than 15 minutes from an international airport. The Club is easily accessible by way of Beddington Trail, Country Hills Boulevard, and Stoney Trail.
The first Thomas McBroom design in Alberta features five lakes and the meandering Nose Creek which adds beauty and intrigue to your shot making strategies. The challenging layout has hosted professional and elite championships including the Mackenzie Tour’s ATB Financial Classic.
In contrast to the rugged appearance of the Talons course, the Ridge course, designed by Dave Bennett, offers a more park like setting with trees and manicured turf as the aesthetic focus. The upper nine presents panoramic views from the cliff tops. The lower nine is influenced by the rising cliffs and Nose Creek that will challenge your game to an incredible finish.
Country Hills Golf Club offers outstanding amenities in a relaxed and casual atmosphere. Members find the Club to be a place of choice for both business meetings and social entertaining. Whether it is a round of golf, or dinner and drinks in our clubhouse, we provide Members and their families an extension of their own home. Our active and fun-filled social calendar encourages Members to spend time at the Club and create new relationships. Over the years, the Club has developed a true feeling of camaraderie among its Members and staff.
The General Manager, is responsible for executing the strategic plan for the Board, providing input to that plan, and executing the operational plan that is formed to support progress towards achieving the Club’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Executive Chef, Food and Beverage Manager, Marketing Manager, Head Golf Professional, Building Manager, Accounting Manager, Superintendent, Event and Experience Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and develop the desired culture of the Club
- Build and develop a highly member focused Club
- Promote and be a champion for service excellence
- Oversee the efficient management of the Club on a day-to-day basis
- Ensure policies and procedures support the needs of members, staff and the public; and are reviewed periodically to ensure they are current and aligned with the strategic and operating needs of the Club
- Plan for quality golfing and year-round social events for members
- Ensure that the membership categories reflect the demographic of the Club and target members; maintain appropriate category limits and access to the facilities
- Lead a dynamic workforce that thrives on providing a best-in-class private club experience for all stakeholders, including members, guests, staff, and our community
- Create accountability and guide the management team towards short- and long-term objectives
- Strong leadership skills that foster a positive environment for all patrons and staff of the Club
- Overall corporate responsibility for the development and implementation of HR practices and systems, including attraction, retention and training of staff, resulting in CHGC being a choice place for employees to work
- Accountability to the Board of Directors for the financial operations and policies of the Club
- Ensure the financial sustainability of the Club through evolution of the existing membership base
- Oversight of the financial operations as it relates to daily management, budgeting, cash flow, forecasting and long-range financial and capital planning
- Develop the annual operating budget with a focus on creating efficiencies within the operation; synergies between operating departments; and long-term sustainability of fiscal status for the benefit of members
- Develop and maintain the Capital Plan including specific upgrades to the golf course and Clubhouse; surrounding grounds; member and public oriented facilities; maintenance facilities and equipment
- Elevate the Country Hills brand through networking, marketing, and business development
- Promote golf, and specifically CHGC, foster hospitality, friendliness, and goodwill amongst all members and guests
- Strengthen the brand and reputation for the Club in the community
- Provide open communication and accessibility to the membership and board
- Attend all Board meetings and ensure that the Board is kept promptly advised of all activities of the Club and its financial progress
- Develop member relations by responding to Members requests in a timely manner
- Create a multi-channel communication approach to providing information and gaining feedback so that both the operation and strategy are supported – and new opportunities identified
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Experience with POS systems
- Advanced Experience working with Microsoft Office
- Extensive experience running a Private Golf Club
- A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited post-secondary institution
- Leadership - Innate and inspiring leadership that demonstrates the needs of a governance board including interface between the members/Board/GM; sound leadership in developing and executing an operational plan for the Leadership team; engaging and leading employee culture to provide an exceptional experience for staff and patrons of the Club. The GM will be a mature and seasoned communicator with experience communicating proactively, across multiple stakeholder groups, and utilizing appropriate channels.
- Business Acumen - Sound financial and business acumen that balances short-term fiscal needs with long term financial sustainability. Correspondingly excellent understanding and business acumen in a golf environment will be advantageous.
- Hospitality - Understanding of, and experience in, providing a premium private club experience via all aspects of the facility.
- Governance - Mature experience dealing with a governance board and developing and implementing the bylaws; policies; governance handbook; strategic plan; and succession plan for both board and employees. It is further facilitated by the GM in supporting the board to execute the strategic plan.
- Personality - A self-starter and results oriented work style combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with all the Club’s stakeholders. Strong professional conduct with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach. Highly ethical conduct and the ability to hold people accountable.
Key Performance Indicators
- Department financial contributions
- Labour & Expense Controls
- Member Experience Results
- Team Member Experience Results
- Membership Satisfaction results
- Capital Planning, on budget, on time
Our Core Values
- Live our Values
Country Hills Golf Club is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Salary will be commensurate with private golf clubs in Calgary.
Application Process and Deadline
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Monday, February 21, 2022. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Country Hills Resume” and "Last Name, First Name, Country Hills Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
For more information about Country Hills Golf Club, please visit www.countryhills.ab.ca.
Lead Search Executives