Executive Search: General Manager for The National Golf Club of Canada
- March 31, 2022
- Michael Gregory, Stephen Johnston, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
The National Golf Club of Canada
I. The National Golf Club of Canada
Located in Woodbridge, just north of Toronto, Ontario, The National Golf Club of Canada (“The National” or the “Club”), Canada’s preeminent private golf club, is seeking an extraordinary leader to serve as General Manager of the Club.
The National is an equity golf club established in 1987 with 468 members. We pride ourselves on our commitment to golf, the golf experience and our renowned George and Tom Fazio (1974) golf course, which is consistently rated as one of the best in Canada and heralded internationally.
The role of General Manager at The National - the top-job in Canadian golf - offers an extremely challenging yet extraordinarily rewarding opportunity for a highly capable, experienced and respected professional. The General Manager will report to the Board of Directors and be responsible primarily to deliver, at the highest level and on a consistent basis, the Mission Statement of The National.
If you are an experienced, highly professional golf-industry leader who exudes excellence in golf, please submit your resume, in confidence, to GGA Partners.
III. Related Titles
IV. Job Summary
- Serves as General Manager of the club and delivers, above all, the Mission Statement of the Club.
- Is responsible for all aspects of the club including its activities and the relationships between the Club and its board of directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry.
- Sustains and administers the club’s policies as defined by the board of directors.
- Directs the work of all department managers; monitors the budget; monitors the quality and maintains the world-class status of the golf course and of the golf club’s products and services, and ensures maximum member and guest satisfaction unless otherwise directed by the board of directors.
- Secures and protects the club’s assets, including facilities and equipment.
V. Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements general policies established by the board of directors; directs their administration and execution.
- Plans, develops and approves specific operational policies, programs, procedures and methods in concert with general policies and the board of directors.
- Coordinates the development of the club’s short-range operational plan and ultimately a 5-year plan with the board of directors.
- Develops, maintains and administers a sound organizational plan; initiates operational improvements and structures a plan for their implementation.
- Monitors policies relating to personnel actions, training and professional development programs. Executes a human resources audit. Ensures the club’s current handbook covers all of the required topics (sexual harassment, vacation policy, etc.) as directed by the board of directors.
- Maintains membership with the club managers’ and other professional associations.
- Attends conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and developments in the field with the approval of the board of directors.
- Coordinates development of operating and capital budgets according to the budget calendar; monitors monthly and other financial statements for the club; takes effective corrective action as required. Upon arrival, the general manager “tests” all budgets to ensure that they are supported by appropriate details. Ensures that each department’s methods for producing each line item are accurate and justified for all areas of the budget.
- Coordinates and serves as ex-officio member of appropriate club committees.
- Welcomes new club members; “meets and greets” all club members, as practical, during their visits to the club.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits.
VII. Application Process and Deadline
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Sunday, April 17, 2022. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, National Resume” and "Last Name, First Name, National Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
To learn more about the Club, visit www.nationalgolf.ca
Lead Search Executives