Executive Search: Clubhouse Manager for Long Cove Club
- April 6, 2022
- Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Long Cove Club
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Long Cove Club, located in the heart of Hilton Head, SC, is considered one of the island’s best-kept secrets. Small by design, with just over 600 acres, the natural beauty and casual elegance of our community reflects the relaxed and unpretentious lifestyle, as well as a commitment to excellence in all aspects of the operation.
The Top-100 ranked Pete Dye golf course sets the tone for the community as it sweeps through the salt marsh, lagoons, pine and live oak forests that surround it. Beyond world-class golf, members enjoy the deep-water marina, racquet sports, bocce, casual and elegant dining, a heated, saline, Junior Olympic-size swimming pool and a robust social calendar.
To say the members have quietly enjoyed the good life here for over three decades is an understatement. Long Cove Club provides a truly extraordinary way of life filled with all the activity members could hope for or all the solitude they could want.
Long Cove Club Overview
- 570 members
- Initiation fee $35,000
- Annual Dues $15,333
- $12.00M Gross volume
- $8.70M Annual dues
- $1.3M F&B volume
- $4.3M Gross payroll
- 91 Employees
- 9 Board members
- Average age of members is 67
The Clubhouse Manager Position
The Clubhouse Manager is ultimately responsible for all clubhouse and food & beverage, including the general housekeeping over these areas. In the absence of the General Manager, the Clubhouse Manager is responsible for all clubhouse operations and performs specific tasks as requested.
Additional responsibilities include the preparation of annual department budgets in concert with the General Manager, supporting respective club committees, building relationships with members, guests and employees and ensuring the “club culture” is one of hospitality, friendliness and goodwill.
Along with being the “public face” of the operations, a hands-on approach to enhancing engagement with members and employees is critical to success in this position. Also critical is assuring that all member food and beverage experiences are outstanding.
The Clubhouse Manager reports to, and works closely with, the General Manager and collaborates closely with the Executive Chef. Leadership and the display of a positive attitude is required to ensure collaborative, innovative, and harmonious relationships between front and back of house operations.
- Consistent, sincere and significant engagement of members and staff in the dining areas of the club is of premium importance. The Clubhouse Manager is ultimately responsible to ensure that all member dining and club events are well-conceived and executed.
- Exhibit quality and positive leadership skills to create and maintain a first-class service culture throughout all areas of the club.
- Address and resolve all member and guest complaints and suggestions, general service, employee attitude, maintenance, and presentation of the clubhouse operations.
- Oversee the recruiting, hiring, training and development of clubhouse and service personnel complete with up-to-date training manuals to ensure exceptional service in all parts of the club’s operation.
- Provide for training and future development of all subordinate managers and supervisors subject to budget approval by the General Manager. Instill the concept of being “team players” in all employees. Continue to coach, counsel, and evaluate departmental staff.
- Ensure a positive spirit and healthy work environment, free of safety risks and all forms of employee harassment, exists throughout all club operations.
- Maintain an effective program with employees and between departments to maintain fair, structured and consistent communications.
- Guarantee that all clubhouse employees are regularly trained and certified in areas that help guard the safety and well-being of our members, guests and other employees including, but not limited to responsible alcohol service, safe food handling, etc.
- Help to facilitate a team environment based on positive morale, high ethical standards and efficient use of resources to position Long Cove Club to be a preferred employer of choice in the community.
- Work jointly with the CFO and General Manager to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for all clubhouse and recreational operations. Throughout the year, manage and monitor budget each week/month and direct corrective action as necessary to assure that the budgeted goals are attained.
- Communicate annual budgets, capital spending plans, fiscal controls and operational guidelines to all clubhouse and recreation personnel.
- Responsible for all labor cost payouts, maintaining said costs within the constraints of the budget and through close coordination with, and approval from, the General Manager and CFO.
- Monitor payroll records to control overtime and maintain labor costs within budgetary guidelines.
- Supervise the purchasing, receiving, safekeeping and disbursement of operating supplies and equipment to maximize quality and profitability.
- Display a hands-on approach and lead the staff by example. Must be approachable to staff, members and guests.
- Assist the General Manager in developing and implementing long-range (strategic) and annual (business) plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Work with Human Resources to develop long-term staffing needs for area of responsibility.
- Responsible for the hiring, discipline, termination and documentation of all clubhouse staff.
- Review all accidents; work with HR and Safety Committees in completing accidents reports and implementing improved procedures.
- Attend meetings of senior management and carry out directives resulting from these meeting along with any other requests of the General Manager.
- Serve as an ad-hoc member of appropriate club committees.
- Work with Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to develop P&L statements prior to each event, makes appropriate notes following events and files information for future use.
- Work with Executive Chef on menu development.
- Work with the F&B Manager to organize and market special club events with guidance of the Social Committee.
- Further continued development as a club management professional through membership in CMAA. With the assistance and approval of the General Manager, participate in appropriate seminars/training programs, thereby enhancing value and quality of services to Long Cove Club.
- Understand and abide by Long Cove Club policies and departmental procedures. Suggests changes and, if approved, direct the implementation of change.
- Assure Clubhouse operations and Recreational amenities are run in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Research new products/services/vendors, develop an analysis of their costs/benefits and when appropriate, provide recommendations to the General Manager.
- Ensure the club’s preventive maintenance and energy management programs are on schedule and in use.
- Disseminate information effectively and coordinate activities between departments on a timely basis.
- Keep the General Manager apprised of all potential problems and activities related to the smooth operation of the clubhouse and recreation amenities.
- Oversee inventory management throughout departments and complete a periodic china, glass and silver inventory to maintain par levels.
- Coordinate and approve all entertainment in consultation with the Food and Beverage Manager and others.
- Possess a sharp eye for detail in the overall management of the operation.
- Responsible for regularly reporting of performance and financial data, i.e. weekly report to General Manager.
- Dining Room Manager
- Assistant Clubhouse Manager
- Clubhouse Activities Coordinator
- Experience in designing and implementing training programs to ensure a consistent, high-quality member and guest experience.
- Must be an analytical thinker and data driven decision maker with experience in member survey analysis and plan of action programming.
- Is a passionate leader with strong food and beverage credentials and a proven track record of providing premium-level hospitality services, with a personality that is commensurately appropriate for Long Cove Club culture.
- Is a proven operational leader who can manage his or her time and establish priorities, to which he or she is accountable to execute against.
- Has a verifiable track record of successfully leading and growing a dynamic food and beverage program, recreational programs and clubhouse operations including building revenues, controlling costs, and meeting or exceeding planned and budgeted bottom line goals and objectives
- Is a “relationship” person who is successful in finding solutions with all sides in mind.
- Has an in-depth knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits. Has a thorough knowledge of multi-dimensional à la carte dining services, training, and service standards and processes, as well as strong and verifiable skills in developing and growing catering sales and banquets.
- Is a highly motivated individual who is confident in his or her abilities, yet humble in personality; a person who can share the credit with their staff for achievements made and take responsibility when standards are not met.
- Has a positive attitude and is professional in nature with a high degree of integrity and strong work ethic. Has the ability to handle a fast paced, high energy environment and clientele.
- Exhibits a continuous desire to improve him/herself and a track record of developing strong and upwardly successful associates and direct reports.
- Understands golf, fitness, aquatics and court sports and is knowledgeable of the traditions of the games.
- Is a confident, proactive team builder who has a history of attracting, developing, and retaining high performance staff.
- Has an intuitive style resulting in a sincere and visibly engaged presence with members, guests, and staff; a truly engaging “people person.”
- Has a fundamental understanding of what constitutes a “premier club experience” and the proven ability to execute to that level.
- A professional career track record of operational achievement and stability with experience in a high volume, highly respected club, resort or hotel.
- Proven leadership qualities with demonstrated ability to direct, coordinate and manage all facets of a club operation.
- Must possess experience with Point of Sale systems and have excellent technology skills, including extensive use of Microsoft Office programs.
- Possess financial acumen to understand club financials and manage budgets.
- An overriding sense of quality consciousness that pervades every part of the clubhouse operation. This includes a high quality, courteous and efficient staff.
- Sound and current knowledge of human resources practices, including wage and hour laws, employment and discharge, equal opportunity employment, OSHA and the full range of employee benefits.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills. Comfortable speaking in front of a wide variety of groups including staff and board committees. Communication with members, guests, and visibility are highly important attributes of the incoming Clubhouse Manager.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) or in active pursuit of designation preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available May 1, 2022.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday April 29, 2022.
Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Long Cove Clubhouse Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Long Cove Clubhouse Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail resume with references.
For more information about Long Cove Club, please visit www.longcoveclub.com