Executive Search: General Manager/Chief Operating Officer for The Club at Hōkūli’a
- May 26, 2022
- Patrick DeLozier, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
The Club at Hōkūli'a
Spanning three miles along the heart of the Kona Coast, the private community of Hōkūli'a lies on a lush 1,300 acres, just minutes from the town of Kailua-Kona. The sheltered climate provides gentle coastal breezes, ideal year-round conditions for outdoor living, golf and water pursuits.
Situated in the heart of this residential community is the Club at Hōkūli'a, home to the 7,337-yard Jack Nicklaus Signature Design golf course that features cascading fairways, risk/reward holes and dramatic ocean views.
The traditional Polynesian-style compound houses the men’s and women’s golf lounge, locker-room, golf shop, dining options, fitness center, a 3-lane lap pool, two Har-Tru tennis courts as well as the spa & massage facility which includes an open-air yoga studio. Surrounded by beautifully-manicured tropically landscaped grounds, the facility also features an expansive event-lawn area with endless ocean views for every type of entertaining and special events.
The Club at Hōkūli'a Overview:
- Memberships - 258
- Initiation Fee - $150,000
- Annual Dues - $27,000 for club operations & capital expenses plus $4,500 for village fees
- Gross Volume - $7.3 million
- Food & Beverage Volume - $607,000
- Gross Payroll - $2.2 million
- Employees – 80
- Board Members – 7
- Average Member Age – 70
- Strong balance sheet and positive cash flow
- Championship golf course ranked six in Hawaii by Golf Digest
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer Position
The General Manager (GM) has total operational responsibility for the club and reports to the board of directors. The GM oversees a private club with an 18-hole Nicklaus Signature golf course and clubhouse compound featuring an array of dining options and other amenities.
- Coordinate the development and execution of the club’s long-range and annual business plans to achieve the stated mission.
- Prepare comprehensive operating plans and budgets for board approval; operate in accordance with approved budgets.
- Maintain a long-term capital budget to assure the sustained material condition of all physical assets of the club.
- Plan, develop and approve specific operational policies, programs, procedures, methods, rules and regulations in concert with board-approved policies.
- Direct staff recruitment and training.
- Establish employee rules and regulations, work schedules, internal controls, and a performance appraisal system.
- Assure that the highest standards of member service and satisfaction are established and achieved.
- Operate the club is operated in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and other governmental agencies that have oversight of various club assets and operations, including utility regulation, water quality and environmental statutory law compliance
- Provide the board and committees with relevant information on trends and developments in the club/residential community business.
- Ensure board-established committees are well-supported and operate in accordance with board-approved policies and directives.
- Oversee security, risk management, and health/safety programs to maintain measures to protect members, employees, staff, and club physical assets.
- Keep board thoroughly informed of club operations, member satisfaction, and financial performance.
- Develop and oversee a comprehensive communications program that keeps all appropriate constituencies informed of relevant matters.
- Interact with local community leaders and organizations.
- Perform other duties and functions as the board may direct that are consistent with this job description.
- Office Manager
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Head Golf Professional
- Facilities and Infrastructure Manager
- Director of Food and Beverage
- Executive Chef
- Membership Director
Core Leadership Competencies:
- Define a simple and understandable vision of success for the management team.
- See the big picture, take stock, identify problems/needs and conceptualize solutions/strategies.
- Focus on the essentials, to attend to detail, and to follow through on decisions.
- Create a sense of followership among subordinates.
- Attract and develop a strong supporting management team.
- Demonstrate a strong member satisfaction ethic; interact with membership frequently, in a friendly manner.
- Articulate the highest performance and ethical standards, demand compliance and move swiftly and positively when corrective action is warranted
- Cope with day-to-day pressures and maintain a healthy and positive culture.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club or hospitality environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) or in active pursuit of designation preferred.
A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. The position is available August 1, 2022.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, June 17, 2022.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Hōkūli'a GM/COO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Hōkūli'a GM/COO Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please email résumé with references.
Lead Search Executive
For more information about The Club at Hōkūli’a, please visit www.hokuliaclub.com