Executive Search: Director of Golf for Marine Drive Golf Club
- June 30, 2022
- Placement, Private Clubs, Michael Gregory, Executive Search
Director of Golf
Marine Drive Golf Club
The Club and the Course
Marine Drive Golf Club (“MDGC” or the “Club”) is one of Canada’s most prestigious and historic private golf clubs, situated in the heart of Vancouver and boasting a diverse membership of 1,300 resident and non-resident enthusiasts. Founded in 1922, MDGC combines the heritage of a top-rated golf course on the shores of the Fraser River with a stately clubhouse for member services, dining and events. MDGC prides itself on delivering an outstanding member experience over approximately 40,000 rounds in a typical 12-month season.
The Club and course have been central to Canadian amateur golf for 100 years. MDGC’s Junior Development Program is widely recognized for the quality players it cultivates from its over 125 young players. The Club has produced multiple champions including Stan Leonard, Dick Zokol and Doug Roxburgh – and it has hosted numerous prestigious amateur events including the 2018 Canadian Women’s Amateur and the 1992 World Amateur.
Jim Urbina served as the Club’s Golf Course Designer from 2009 to 2019, completing the renovation of all bunkers and green surrounds. In 2015, the Club invested in a state-of-the-art 1.5-acre short game practice area. Rod Whitman is the Golf Course Designer working with the Club today following the members’ recent approval of a $3.9 million investment into its driving range to round out the state-of-the-art practice experience.
Our Core Values
Passion for People, Strive for Excellence, Be Vulnerable, Do Right.
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Golf will play a pivotal role in exceeding the expectations of our members by delivering an exceptional golf experience that positions the Club for sustained leadership in our community and our industry. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Golf will operate our golf operations at the highest service levels as expected by our membership and guests. Delivering exceptional service, programs and teaching at this facility will be paramount to the Director of Golf’s success in the role.
The Director of Golf will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the Club’s entire golf operation, including the practice facilities, golf professionals, non-professional golf staff, teaching programs and seasonal golf activities and events.
- Enthusiastically promote the game of golf and excellence in every member and guest experience at MDGC.
- Build and lead a strong team of golf professionals, pro shop staff and back shop team members.
- Be a visionary leader and represent the Club with pride in support of our brand and goals.
- Lead and advance our comprehensive teaching program, including clinics and private instruction.
- Direct and organize all golf activities, including member and invitational events/tournaments, practice facilities, tee time reservation program, back shop and cart operations.
- Manage golf-related administration and financial activities such as budgeting and reporting.
- Actively participate in golf committees, external events and conferences, and serve as an ambassador in the industry.
- Recent and relevant experience in a high-end golf club environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to exceptional member service.
- Strong leadership and relationship-building. Track record of motivating and inspiring a team towards a common vision and defined goals.
- Demonstrated interest in the golf industry, a considered perspective on where the industry is moving and how private golf clubs will adapt to these developments.
- Post-secondary degree or PGM college diploma.
- Business sense and experience as it relates to golf shop management within a private golf club.
- Class “A” professional capable of playing at a high level.
- Member in good standing with the PGA of Canada or the US (eligible for Canadian membership).
- Collaborative contributor to the Senior Leadership Team with a Club-wide perspective and focus.
- Commitment to excellence in all aspects of the game of golf:
- Organization & promotion of events / tournaments
- Understanding of golf instruction
- Ability to tactfully enforce the rules and regulations of golf and of the Club
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with our comprehensive health benefits plan and retirement savings matching program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Sunday, July 31st at 5:00pm EDT. Please include up to  professional references within your resume.
If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position, please include that information in your submission. Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Marine Drive Director of Golf Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Marine Drive Director of Golf Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com
Interested candidates are asked NOT to contact any Club employees directly in relation to this posting. Please direct all inquires to Michael Gregory at the contact information listed below.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on Marine Drive Golf Club, visit www.marine-drive.com.