Executive Search: General Manager for Osler Bluff Ski Club
- June 10, 2022
- Michael Gregory, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Osler Bluff Ski Club
The Blue Mountains, Ontario
Osler Bluff Ski Club
Founded in 1949, Osler Bluff Ski Club provides a truly private recreational environment, where like minded people share their love for skiing/boarding and the great outdoors. Located near the shores of Georgian Bay and at a base elevation 200 feet higher than Blue Mountain, Osler provides its members with access to some of Ontario’s most beautiful scenery. The Club’s vertical drop of 745 feet is among the greatest in the province, and the natural terrain provides some of the longest, most scenic trails from beginner to expert. There is also over 27km of marked cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails throughout the Club’s property.
Activities at the Club include Snow School and Racing programs, private skiing lessons, and an outdoor skating rink. The Club’s facilities are home to a recently renovated/expanded clubhouse, a chalet, a lodge, a children’s playroom, a pro shop, five lifts, and a Summer Club. The Club has significant land holdings, including four land-licence style cabin communities which the Club manages and maintains capital infrastructure assets in respect of. Osler offers some of the best variety of skiable terrain in the province, as well as a 6.5-acre terrain park with a competition-sized half-pipe.
To learn more about the Club, visit www.oslerbluff.com.
The General Manager (“GM”) is responsible to continue to build the Club’s standard for excellence and provide strategic direction while embracing opportunities for new initiatives. The General Manager will carry out the vison and is responsible for the overall operations, leadership and strategic planning of the Club. The hands-on experienced individual is a strong leader, energetic and who is team and member focused, is values driven and has a willingness to take on new challenges while supporting the brand of the Club. This individual will focus on goals and strategies and is responsible for the fiscal integrity of the Club. This position will sit on Board Committees as required.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Oversee the complete operation of the Club in accordance with the direction established by Board and the Strategic Plan.
- Build and maintain relationships with staff, members, local government leaders, leaders of other Private ski clubs, etc.
- Lead, coach, direct and mentor the Management team which will include performance management.
- Provide effective leadership at the Club and within the community.
- Ensures a strong presence and seeks to be highly visible to membership and staff.
- Ensures a strong understanding of best-in-class Food & Beverage experiences for members and guests.
- Support a strong and engaged Board of Directors to execute all policies and decisions.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board providing, in a timely and accurate manner, information necessary for the Board fiduciary and oversight responsibilities e.g. monthly reporting.
- Work with the Board and its Committees and serve as a liaison between the Board, staff and membership.
- Create, and ensure success of the Club’s vision and direction.
- Create, communicate, lead the strategic planning efforts and implementation of the Club’s Strategy.
- Prepare budgets associated with outdoor and indoor operations and carry the overall responsibility for working within these budgets.
- Formulating and overseeing long-term Capital budgeting and plans.
- Maintain familiarity, knowledge and compliance of all Club by-laws, health and safety legislation, insurance, T.S.S.A Regulations, Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, etc. and assure standards are met.
- Successful execution of Special Projects.
- Ensure the success of all aspects of member/guest satisfaction, engagement and safety.
- Assist with the membership sales process to promote the Club and member experience to prospective members.
- Set annual staff goals, carry out periodic performance planning reviews with staff and conduct annual appraisals against pre-agreed goals and objectives.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of progressive leadership and management experience in a Private Club environment or related field.
- A University or College Degree/Diploma in Hospitality Management, Business Management, Ski Resort Management or a related field.
- Exceptional leadership skills with proven success at leading teams.
- Exceptional relationship management skills with the ability to build, grow and cultivate new and existing relationships.
- Experience partnering with a Board of Directors.
- Experience skiing or snowboarding would be an asset.
- An experienced visionary and transformational leader who can lead, coach and motivate staff.
- Strong team player with an orientation to take initiative. Flexible, adaptive and ability to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities. Ability to successfully handle multiple complex priorities concurrently.
- Ability to work in an environment where unanticipated changes in demands often necessitate a change in priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism and diplomacy.
- Ability to organize and manage projects, adapting as needed to changing priorities and deadlines, emerging issues, impacts of decisions, competing and conflicting demands, and to keep staff, colleagues and the Board informed as required.
- Strong judgment, interpersonal, problem solving and influencing skills.
- Strong conflict resolution skills and knows when to use the appropriate skill.
- Possess excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Club’s core values.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits.
Application Process and Deadline
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Thursday, June 30, 2022. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Osler Bluff Resume” and "Last Name, First Name, Osler Bluff Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lead Search Executive
Managing Director & Partner