Executive Search: Director of Golf for Marietta Country Club
- July 18, 2022
- Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Director of Golf
Marietta Country Club
Founded in 1915, Marietta Country Club is a member-owned club in Kennesaw, Georgia, located 28 miles from downtown Atlanta.
The Club offers 27-holes of championship golf, 12 lighted tennis courts, fitness center, a seasonal pool facility, poolside restaurant and an amazing clubhouse, including three dining rooms and banquet facilities. The Club's magnificent setting with views of Kennesaw Mountain creates a fabulous resort environment. The Club offers its members a family-friendly environment with outstanding programs and events that enhance sports, social, and business needs and interests. This, paired with the Club's outstanding service staff and desire to create a perfect Club environment for members, their families and guests makes Marietta Country Club truly incomparable to any other.
The Club has a total of 1150 member families with 730 having full golf privileges. There are 40,000 rounds of golf played annually, and a vibrant tournament schedule for both men and women add to the outstanding golf experience. The current Director of Golf is retiring after 21 years of service at the Club!
- 1,150 members
- Initiation fee: $50,000
- Annual dues: Golf - $7,200
- Rounds of Golf: 40,000
- Gross volume - $11M
- Annual dues - $5M
- F&B volume - $3.4M
- Gross payroll - $4.7M
- Employees - 200 in-season; 120 off-season
- Board members - 11
- Average age of members - 58
The Director of Golf Position
The Director of Golf reports to the General Manager, coordinates with the Golf Committee Chair on a regular basis and implements the policies established by the Board of Directors as well as those in the Club's bylaws. He/she develops operational policies, and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all areas.
The Director of Golf is the lead coordinator of programming and synergies among all golf programming, amenities and services. Driving excellence in the golf experience through training is a critical part of the position.
The Director of Golf should have a strong presence and seek to be highly visible to the membership and staff. He/she sets the tone for consistently treating members to a first-class golf experience as well as communicating this expectation to the entire staff.
Important Individual Characteristics
- A naturally enthusiastic personality and passion for the golf industry.
- Natural leadership skills that promote staff and membership engagement.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Disciplined accountability to ensure the golf department training and standards of are consistently met.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of top-notch golf experiences for Club members and guests.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Desire to be highly visible to members and staff as the face of the golf operation at the Club.
- Flexibility to cater to various interests and the playing skills of the entire membership demographic.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- Develop, coordinate, and execute the annual business plan including the operating and capital budgets.
- Oversees a merchandise operation including the purchasing strategies, inventory control, and presentation. Develops purchasing strategies that are consistent with member demographics and needs.
- Develops and oversees golf instruction, clinics, academies, and player development programs.
- Organize and execute an innovative and active tournament schedule that services all segments of the membership.
- Collaborates with the Director of Agronomy and his staff on golf operation activities.
- Enforces all rules and regulations governing golf course usage.
- Coordinates plans with Food and Beverage staff for all food and beverage needs for regular play, tournaments, outings, and special golf events.
- Oversees and enforces the procedures, controls, and fee structures to ensure the safekeeping of assets, inventory, and resources.
- Ensures that all written correspondence, reporting, newsletter, and communications for the golf operations is completed on a timely basis.
- Participants in Golf Committee meetings, annual Board/Staff Retreat, and weekly senior leadership meetings.
- All candidates must be a Class “A” member in good standing with the PGA of America.
- Experience as a current Head Golf Professional or Director of Golf; however current 1st Assistant Golf Professionals at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement will also be considered.
- A college degree from an accredited university or college is preferred.
- Proven experience in budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, and staff management.
- Demonstrated strong command of written, verbal, interpersonal communication skills.
- Maintain a credible golf game and remain current on teaching innovations.
- Experienced and can apply the latest technology in all applications of the golf operation.
- Proficient in point-of-sale software, Microsoft Word, Excel, Golf Genius, etc...
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including evenings/weekends/holidays.
- Positive attitude; professional manner and appearance in all situations.
- Must have a fundamental knowledge of the game of golf including golf rules, golf facility operations, and tournament operations.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism, both manner and appearance, with a positive attitude in all situations.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package including Health/Dental/Vision. 401k match, FSA/HSA, employer paid STD, LTD. Vacation/Personal days, PGA membership and continuing education allowance.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, August 10, 2022.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Marietta Director of Golf Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Marietta Director of Golf Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please email résumé with references.
For more information about Marietta Country Club, please visit mariettacountryclub.org