Executive Search: Director, Human Resources for Bayview Golf & Country Club
- July 29, 2022
- Allison MacKenzie, Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Director, Human Resources
Bayview Golf & Country Club
Established in 1960 and situated on roughly 145 acres of land, Bayview Golf and Country Club (“the Club”) is one of the premier family country clubs in Ontario. With its inclusive membership structure, Bayview provides access to a wealth of amenities for the primary member on record, as well as their immediate family.
Bayview offers 18 holes of championship golf, with the original, C. E. Robinson-designed, and recently Doug Carrick-renovated par-72 course measuring 7,070 yards from the furthest tees. Bayview also offers members access to indoor golf simulators and hitting bays for winter-season access.
The Club is home to a 13,000 sq. ft. pool facility that includes a heated swimming pool, sunning deck, 20-metre swimming lanes, splash pad and wading pool for children, and poolside dining. Six year-round, Har-Tru tennis courts, with programming and lessons provided to members of all skill levels. A newly-renovated 4,000 sq. ft. fitness center offering a variety of comprehensive strength and cardiovascular equipment, as well as personal training and group exercise sessions to meet all member needs.
As a member of the Bayview Golf & Country Club’s Leadership team, the Director, Human Resources, is accountable for recruitment, talent development, retention and the development and maintenance of a strong working environment and a ‘people-first’ culture which contributes to achieving the Club’s goals and objectives. Please note: This is a newly-created position which will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to build the Club’s human resources processes and initiatives from the ground up.
This role is also accountable for the Club’s strategies encompassing employee engagement, diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Director, Human Resources will be responsible for the following:
- Initiate, lead and execute all human resources programs including, but not limited to: employee communications; recruitment; onboarding; health and safety; benefits and disability management (including proactive accommodation and modified work); training and professional development; performance management; employee compensation, rewards, recognition and engagement.
- Review, recommend and execute creative networking, recruitment, selection and hiring practices to ensure a talented, diverse employee team.
- Build upon the Club’s existing health and safety program to ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, reduce accident rates, mitigate risks, educate employees and minimize WSIB premiums.
- Develop and embed a ‘learning and training’ culture for entirety of employee team, including senior management.
- Provide guidance and direction on all aspects of employee/employer relations including advising Management on the interpretation & implementation of applicable legislation, the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Club policies and supporting managers in determining appropriate resolution to issues.
- Diagnose organizational issues/needs; make recommendations to support culture & structural changes.
- Work closely with Finance Department to ensure that employee payroll records are accurately maintained and labour costs are well-controlled.
- Through active participation in the hospitality human resources sector, identify human resources trends, issues and challenges and make appropriate recommendations.
- Collaborate with senior management to manage employee performance and/or address instances of impropriety or misconduct.
- Collaborate with management and legal counsel to develop termination strategies, conduct terminations when required and develop plans aimed at mitigating legal risks, while ensuring that employee dignity and an environment of mutual respect are preserved at all times.
- Develop, modify, implement and monitor Club human resources policies and procedures in keeping with the Club’s mission, values and strategic direction, with the aim of promoting a collegial and high-performance workplace culture.
- Working in collaboration with the General Manager, the Governance Committee and the Board of Directors, ensure that all human resources policies remain up-to-date, compliant with all applicable legislation and consistent with all Club governance policies.
- Help to develop and facilitate appropriate change management plans to support implementation and sustainability of Club-wide programs.
Key Attributes Required
- Demonstrated success in people recruiting, skills development, retention in a high-performance operating culture.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a superior ability to ‘make things happen’ through collaboration and impact and influencing skills.
- Strong change management skills; demonstrated ability as a catalyst for change.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a customer and employee centric environment that requires a flexible working schedule, based on business demands.
- Capable of providing effective coaching, counselling and mentoring, among peers and within all levels of the organization, including an ability to challenge where appropriate.
- Proven track record of delivering quality results with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to effectively deal with issues, move them forward, and provide expert counsel and consultation throughout the organization.
- Ability to work independently and confidently in a busy environment where competing priorities are a constant.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a field related to human resources or hospitality
- CHRL/CHRP designation
- Minimum 8 years of experience in Human Resource Management in progressively senior roles
- Inspirational leadership abilities combined with the ability to mentor, coach and develop others
- Previous experience leading programs related to engagement, talent management, developing leaders, succession planning, performance management, culture and values, change management, diversity & inclusion
- Excellent organization, planning, forecasting and documentation skills
- Innovative problem solving and sound decision-making abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, including inspiring facilitation and training skills
- Strong knowledge of business controls, HR practices and Ontario employment legislation
- Comfortable operating in a digital environment and operates with a cross-functional mindset
- Experience with systems and computers skills including advanced MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- In-depth knowledge of innovative learning technologies including social, mobile, micro-learning and gamification
Physical & Psychological Demands and Working Conditions
This is an administrative office position based in a hospitality operation that operates 7 days a week, 365 days a year. As such, it requires the physical and psychological ability to:
- Be present in an in-person office environment at 25 Fairway Heights Drive, Thornhill, during regular business hours five days per week (with flexibility)
- Occasionally perform remote work, requiring access to adequate internet and an appropriate home working environment
- Occasionally work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, early mornings or holidays, as business demands may require
- Perform computer work in an office environment for prolonged periods of time
- Visit any working area of the Club (ie: outside one’s own office environment), including kitchen, restaurant, pool deck, golf course, tennis courts, locker rooms, etc.
- Effectively prioritize and manage time when faced with multiple competing demands for your time and attention
- Manage conflict professionally and respectfully in a partially unionized environment
- Perform during periods of intense stress
- Speak and present confidently in English in front of large groups of 200 people or more
- Occasionally lift, push or pull up to 25 pounds
Bayview Golf and Country Club is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and, upon request, will work with qualified job applicants to provide suitable accommodation in a manner which takes into account applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability.
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with our comprehensive health benefits plan and retirement savings matching program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by August 15th at 5:00pm EDT.
If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position, please include that information in your submission. Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Bayview HR Director Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Bayview HR Director Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com
Interested candidates are asked NOT to contact any Club employees directly in relation to this posting. Please direct all inquiries to Michael Gregory or Allison MacKenzie at the contact information below.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultants:
For more information on Bayview Golf & Country Club, visit www.bayviewclub.com