Executive Search: Director of Food and Beverage for Greenville Country Club
- August 15, 2022
- Patrick DeLozier, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Director of Food and Beverage
Greenville Country Club
Greenville Country Club, established in 1895, has built its reputation as one of the finest country clubs in South Carolina, providing a level of service unmatched in the Southeast.
The club offers a variety of amenities and activities for members of all ages including with two championship 18-hole golf courses. Chanticleer is a Robert Trent Jones, Sr. design while Riverside is an original design by Thomas Bendelow that was revamped by Brian Silva in 2006.
Greenville also boasts a world-class aquatics complex with over 9,500 square feet of pool area, a large pool house with a grill, lockers and youth room. Members who seek racquet play won’t have any problem finding a game on one of the 17 courts available for tennis or the 4 pickleball courts. Dining and social activities are also an integral part of life at Greenville. The club offers six unique dining options from club casual and poolside to on the course or upscale.
At the Greenville Country Club, history, tradition and thoughtful planning are combined with an entrepreneurial spirit and creativity to deliver and that delivers an experience unmatched in the Southeast.
- Members - 1217 Members
- Initiation Fee – $60,000
- Annual Dues - $7,272; Capital Dues- $1,500
- Gross Volume - $16MM
- Annual Dues - $6.6M
- F&B Volume - $4.0M
- Gross Payroll - $5.7M
- Employees – 70 F&B
- Board Members - 14
- Average age of members - 53
Director of Food and Beverage Position
The Director of Food and Beverage is responsible for all the clubs’ food and beverage operations as well as the dissemination of hospitality, friendliness and goodwill among members, guests and staff. His/her number one priority is to ensure members and guests enjoy the facilities and events at the Club.
In addition to building relationships with Club members, guests, and employees, the Director of Food & Beverage provides support to the respective committees and advisory groups. The candidate must take a hands-on approach as the public face of F&B operations and understand that achieving a high level of member and staff engagement is critical to succeeding in this position.
The Director of Food and Beverage consistently provides anticipated and enhanced hospitality along with superb dining and other food and beverage experiences for the Club’s membership and their guests. Alignment with the Executive Chef is very important in this position to ensure collaborative, innovative, harmonious relationships between front- and back-of-house operations.
This Director of Food & Beverage reports to the Assistant General Manager and works alongside the Executive Chef. He/she will also prepare annual department budgets in concert with the Assistant General Manager and CFO.
Personnel reporting directly to the Food & Beverage Director include:
- Food and Beverage Managers
- Food and Beverage Assistant Managers
- All FOH F&B Staff – servers, bartenders, food runners etc.
- Consistent, highly-visible, sincere and significant engagement with members and staff
in the dining areas of the club is of the utmost importance. It is the ultimate responsibility of the Director of Food and Beverage to ensure all member dining, amenities and club events are well-conceived and executed.
- Create and maintain a first-class service culture throughout the Club campus.
- Exhibit quality leadership in a positive and upbeat manner every day.
- Address and, when necessary, resolve issues arising from member or guest complaints, and suggestions related to general service, employee attitudes, maintenance and overall presentation of the clubhouse facilities.
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring and development of all food and beverage personnel.
- Supervise ongoing training programs, complete with up-to-date training manuals, to ensure exceptional service in all parts of the Club’s operation.
- Provide for training and future development of all subordinate managers and supervisors, subject to budget approval by the Assistant General Manager. Continue to coach, counsel, and evaluate departmental staff.
- Ensure a positive spirit and healthy work environment, free of safety risks and all forms of employee harassment, exists throughout all club operations.
- Maintain an effective two-way communications program with employees to ensure they are treated in a fair, structured and consistent manner.
- Function as an administrative and communications link between club departments.
- Guarantee that all clubhouse employees are regularly trained and certified in areas that help guard the safety and well-being of our members, guests and other employees including, but not limited to, responsible alcohol service, safe food handling, etc.
- Help to facilitate a team environment with positive morale, high ethical standards and efficient use of resources to position the Greenville Country Club as the preferred employer of choice in the community.
- Work jointly with the CFO, Assistant General Manager and General Manager to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for all food and beverage operations; assist in the management and control of operations to attain the desired results.
- Monitor the budget each week/month and direct any corrective action, as necessary, to assure budgeted goals are attained.
- Provide input for all clubhouse and service personnel regarding annual budgets, capital spending plans, fiscal controls and operational guidelines.
- Manage and maintain all labor cost payouts within the constraints of the budget, and through close coordination and approval from the Assistant General Manager and CFO.
- Monitor payroll records to control overtime and maintain labor costs within budgetary guidelines.
- Supervise the purchase, receipt, safekeeping and disbursement of operating supplies and equipment to maximize quality and profitability.
- Display a strong hands-on approach and lead the staff by example.
- Maintain an environment of approachability by staff, members and guests.
- Assist the Assistant General Manager in developing and implementing long-range (strategic) and annual (business) plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Work with Human Resources to develop long-term staffing needs for each area of responsibility.
- Own the responsibility for hiring, discipline, termination and documentation of all food, beverage and service staff.
- Review all accidents and work with HR and Safety Committee to complete accident reports and implement improved procedures to prevent the situation from reoccurring.
- Attend senior management meetings and carry out directives agreed upon during the meetings along with any other requests of the Assistant General Manager. All actions must be carried out in a timely manner.
- Serve as an ad-hoc member of appropriate club committees and advisory groups.
- Possess a warm personality, a sense of humor and the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and members.
- Work with the Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Manager and others to develop P&L statements prior to each event. Produce an event recap along with all appropriate documentation/history, keeping it on file for future use.
- Work with Executive Chef on menu development.
- Work with the F&B team to organize and market special club events.
- Further his/her own continued development as a club management professional as a member of CMAA. With the assistance and approval of the Assistant General Manager, participate in appropriate seminars/training programs, thereby enhancing his/her value and quality of services to the Greenville Country Club.
- Understand and abide by the Greenville Country Club policies and departmental procedures. Suggest changes, and when appropriate, direct the implementation of approved changes.
- Provide content for, and manage communications and marketing information, of department activities and events for all F&B departments.
- Assure Food and Beverage operations and campus venues are run in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Disseminate information effectively and coordinate activities between departments
in a timely manner.
- Alert the Assistant General Manager of all potential problems and activities related to the smooth operation of the clubhouse and other food service venues.
- Oversee inventory management throughout departments and complete a periodic china, glass and silver inventory to maintain par levels.
- Coordinate and approve all entertainment in consultation with Assistant General Manager and others.
- Possess a sharp eye for detail in the overall management of the operation.
- Report performance and financial data, e.g., weekly report to Assistant General Manager in a timely manner.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club or hospitality environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business preferred.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) or in active pursuit of designation preferred.
Note: A pre-employment background check will be required. The position is available immediately.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, September 7, 2022.
These documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Greenville DF&B Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Greenville DF&B Résumé”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All requested information, along with references, should be emailed to the address above.
Lead Search Executive
For more information about Greenville Country Club, please visit www.gccsc.com