Executive Search: General Manager/Chief Operating Officer for Edmonton Petroleum Golf & Country Club
- August 3, 2022
- Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
Edmonton Petroleum Golf & Country Club
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Located just 5 minutes from Edmonton’s west end, the Mark McCumber-designed 18-hole championship golf course was completed in 1993. The course boasts all the fine features of his designs; immaculate contoured greens and strategically placed bunkers are complemented by water hazards on both the front and back nines. The par 72 layout, measuring over 7000 yards from the back tees, offers a variety of challenges through the harmony of its natural beauty and woodland surroundings. Mark McCumber designed the golf course to “offer a true test for golfers of all levels.”
The Club has a well-equipped golf shop and a first-class practice facility that has been recently upgraded. A full grass driving range sits on a large parcel of land. The driving range extends to 400 yards with the ability to teach on either end of the range, in addition to 3 full golf holes (par 4, par 3 & par 5), and a large chipping and putting area. Members of the Club enjoy unrivaled access to the tee, with the best member to golf course ratio in Edmonton. A friendly clubhouse provides an elegantly appointed Members’ bar, dining room and large patio with a beautiful panoramic view of the 18th hole and the rest of the golf course from any of these three locations.
The Club has had the honour and privilege of hosting many great tournaments, including the ATB Classic PGA Tour of Canada in 2022, the Oil Country Championship, part of the Mackenzie Tour in 2018 and the Canadian Women’s Amateur in 2021.
“To provide members and guests with a superior golfing and social experience on every occasion through a dedicated commitment to excellence in service, quality of work, professionalism, and mutual respect.”
“To become recognized as an enviable and desirable private golf and country club where acquiring a membership is a goal for every golfer in the Edmonton area.”
We are looking for a General Manager/Chief Operating Officer (GM/COO) reporting to the Board, to oversee the entire Club. The start date is negotiable.
The GM/COO will be responsible for the following:
- The consistent delivery of the Club’s golf, hospitality and member service program to an exceptional standard.
- All aspects of the Club including golf, membership services, food and beverage, facilities, and administrative services.
- The Club’s financial results and operating processes, including the implementation of Board policy and strategy.
- The performance of senior management. Senior Managers report directly to the GM/COO and are responsible for the day-to-day activities and processes. Although the GM/COO will rely on the Senior Managers to operate the daily activities, the GM/COO will be ultimately responsible to the Board for overall performance metrics and service.
- Coordination of the Club's strategic plan development and implementation of the resulting annual business plan.
- Representation of the Club, in the context of its stated values, to members, staff and external agencies.
- Becoming the “Face” of the Club and its Chief Host.
- Membership marketing and new member on-boarding.
- Staying up to date with best practices in the golf and private club sector, and bringing best practices to the Club, as appropriate.
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer reports directly to the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee.
The following positions report directly to the General Manager/Chief Operating Officer:
- Food & Beverage Manager
- Controller/Office Manager
- Membership & Marketing Coordinator
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Head Golf Professional
The GM/COO reports to the Board. Given the leading role, this individual will play a key position in achieving the strategic objectives of the Club. It is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- Building Effective Teams: Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; lets subordinates present to senior management.
- Business Acumen: Knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends and information affecting the Club; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Communication: Excellent presentation, verbal, business writing and meeting facilitation skills.
- Compliance: Ability to ensure compliance with all regulatory matters.
- Customer Service: Clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent approach. Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets firsthand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; talks and acts with customers in mind.
- Drive for Results: Can be counted on to consistently meet goals; is constantly and consistently a top performer; very bottom line oriented; works collaboratively with team.
- Ethics & Values: Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs; acts in line with those values.
- Integrity & Trust: Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; doesn’t blame others for own mistakes or misrepresent self for personal gain.
- Leadership: Highly visible leader with professional deportment. Leads by example.
- Managing Vision & Purpose: Creates and communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purposes; sees beyond today; sees possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire.
- Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulate possibilities and likelihoods; can create strategies and plans.
- Total Quality Management Re-engineering: Dedicated to providing highest quality products and services, which meet the needs and requirements of internal and external customers. Committed to continuous improvement through empowerment and management by data; is open to suggestions. Ability to examine and re-engineer operations and procedures and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by September 9, 2022. If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position, please include that information in your submission. These documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Edmonton Petroleum GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Edmonton Petroleum GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview. Please email resume with references.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on Edmonton Petroleum Golf & Country Club: www.epgcc.ab.ca