Executive Search: Director of Membership and Marketing for Mount Vernon Country Club
- September 13, 2022
- Patrick DeLozier, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Director of Membership and Marketing
Mount Vernon Country Club
Founded in 1961, Mount Vernon Country Club is a member-owned golf and country club in Alexandria, Virginia, located 19 miles from Washington, D.C. Mount Vernon Club is a family-friendly environment primarily focused on golf and dining. The 18-hole championship golf course features the work of golf course designers Russell Roberts, Ed Ault, and most recently, Bill Love. There are five distinct food and beverage locations along with a pool complex featuring the Barracuda Grill. The membership at Mount Vernon is fully subscribed with a growing wait list.
Mount Vernon Country Club Overview:
- 700 members (Golf: 475, Other: 225)
- Initiation fee (Resident Member Golf: $32,000)
- Annual Dues (Golf: $7,068 and Capital Dues $1,236)
- $8.30M Gross volume
- $3.70M Annual dues
- $2.30M F&B volume
- $3.30M Gross payroll
- 120 Employees in-season; 90 off-season
- 9 Board members
The Director of Membership & Marketing Position
The Director of Membership & Marketing reports to the General Manager as well as the Membership Committee and Board of Directors.
The person selected for this position will be required to formulate and present annual plans for membership recruitment, public relations, brand communications, events and promotions. Upon approval by the General Manager, Membership Committee and Board, it is the responsibility of the Director of Membership & Marketing to implement all aspects of the plan within the approved budget.
Development of all membership marketing materials, the new member orientation program and maintenance of all membership files Is an Important aspect of this position. The person selected for this role should have an outgoing and friendly personality and expect to be highly visible to the membership and staff. A well-established reputation in the community from which to draw prospective members will be considered a positive asset. Alongside the General Manager, the Director or Membership and Marketing will be expected to set the example for consistently treating members, prospects and fellow employees with first class hospitality.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Preparation of annual plans/budgets for membership recruitment, public relations, marketing, communications, events and member promotions.
- Implementation of approved plans, within the budget.
- Prepare and present monthly membership and sales reports to General Manager, Membership Committee and Board of Directors.
- Develop a robust prospect list through member referrals, personal contacts, business contacts, civic organizations, etc.
- Prepare timely communications to members of membership matters and Club activities.
- Day-to-day responsibility for maintaining for all membership files, responding to member communications, processing resignation or status changes and all other member-related administration functions.
- Actively solicit new member prospects, respond to membership inquiries, assist prospects with the application process, provide Club tours, plan and implement special events, socials and all other activities related to new member recruitment.
- Coordinate and manage all aspects of the new member orientation process.
- Prepare and integrate administrative and promotional tools Including the membership application packet, welcome packet and handbook for use In member sales Initiatives
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the Club's website and assisting in the preparation of the monthly member newsletter (The View). Assist department heads in the promotion of Club activities and special events.
- Tracks home purchases and move-ins in the Mount Vernon area and builds relationships with local realtors to gain access to these new residents as potential prospects.
- Work with the department heads and staff to provide guidance and training on how to direct questions regarding membership, greet prospects, answer telephones and provide appropriate answers to members and prospects.
Important Individual Characteristics:
- A naturally enthusiastic personality and passion for membership sales and club marketing.
- The ability to build relationships both internally and externally that will lead to a steady stream of referrals.
- Possess the ability to quickly learn the various membership options and articulate the benefits of each clearly and concisely.
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the board and committees.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the goals and objectives of the Club are met.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member satisfaction.
- Maintains a high level of visibility to members.
- Understands the importance of digital communication and can utilize web and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive sales and marketing experience, preferably in a private club or hospitality environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Sales & Marketing or Business.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, October 12, 2022.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Mount Vernon DMM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Mount Vernon DMM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please email résumé with references.
Lead Search Executive
For more information about Mount Vernon Country Club, please visit www.mountvernoncc.org.