Executive Search: Superintendent for Deer Ridge Golf Club
- January 4, 2023
- Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Deer Ridge Golf Club
About the Club
Deer Ridge Golf Club (“Deer Ridge” or the “Club”) is one of Ontario’s greatest golf clubs. Situated in Southern Ontario between Kitchener and Cambridge, the Club prides itself on putting its top-tier golf experience first. Deer Ridge is home to one of the best golf courses in Ontario which is consistently ranked in the Top 100 golf courses in Canada by SCOREGolf, originally designed by Thomas McBroom. An incredible practice facility complements the highly distinguished course. The Club also features an Academy run by an experienced Director of Instruction with classes for men, ladies, and junior golfers of all abilities.
In addition to Deer Ridge’s golf experience, the Club offers a beautiful clubhouse with an excellent food and beverage experience. The clubhouse features a majestic patio which overlooks the incredible Grand River Valley.
Deer Ridge is experienced by a group of just 400 equity members, meaning access to the tee is easy.
For more information on Deer Ridge Golf Club, visit www.deerridgegolfclub.com.
About the Superintendent Role
The Superintendent is responsible for leading the golf course maintenance operation. The successful candidate will work to create an environment where staff is involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, members, guests, and the property.
The Superintendent will be responsible for the following:
- Responsible for scheduling and payroll of grounds and maintenance staff.
- Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff, and conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provide leadership, coaching, training, and necessary disciplinary actions for all staff.
- Coordinate and plan with the Board of Directors to create annual budgets, with or without capital improvement projects.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
- Oversee equipment/cart maintenance and repair.
- Designs landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
- Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for staff.
- Works closely with the GM and the Board of Directors to operate the Club in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
- Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all provincial and federal regulations.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
- Work closely with other managers to ensure the timely completion of golf course projects and operations to a high standard.
- Maintain all office records, including purchase orders, pesticide records and licensing, training records, and other records as required.
- Ensure staff are meeting all Occupational Health and safety standards and creating a work environment that promotes health and safety.
- Assist other departments within the organization, including clubhouse repairs and maintenance as required.
- Perform other related work as required.
The ideal candidate is a proven superintendent who possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, fairways and roughs.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees and/or greens.
- Ability to work under pressure in dynamic situations with a high level of professionalism.
- Experience in budgeting and financial management.
- Reliable with a strong work ethic and adaptability, with strong communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Turf Management, consideration of candidates with 5 years or more applicable experience as a Golf Superintendent or 1st Assistant.
- Class A Golf Course Superintendent designation (preferred)
- Supervision, employee training & staff management experience (hiring/terminations and laying off employees in off season).
- Budgeting and planning skills.
- Knowledgeable on the safe use and training for all pieces of equipment utilized on the grounds.
- Possess a Pesticide Applicator Certificate.
- Extensive knowledge of golf course watering requirements, including pumps and irrigation infrastructure.
- Advance computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office.
- Current Pest Management certification.
Salary and Benefits
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by February 1, 2023, at 5:00pm EDT. Interested candidates are asked not to contact any Club employees directly in relation to this posting. Please direct all inquires to the Search Consultant at the contact information listed below.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Deer Ridge Superintendent Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Deer Ridge Superintendent Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
Deer Ridge Golf Club is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and, upon request, will work with qualified job applicants to provide suitable accommodation in a manner which considers applicants' accessibility needs due to disability.
Deer Ridge Golf Club is an equal opportunity employer. It is the organization's policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely based on their qualifications, with emphasis on selecting the best qualified person for the job. Applicants must have a valid Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) card. We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner