Executive Search: Controller for Caledon Ski Club
- February 17, 2023
- Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Caledon Ski Club
The second-largest private ski club in Southern Ontario, Caledon Ski Club ("the Club"), is a club where members enjoy high quality, family-oriented, competitive and recreational skiing, snowboarding and other multi-seasonal activities and social experiences. The Club is proud to share the 55 acres of skiable terrain with its members year-round in a welcoming and picturesque environment. The Club is financially stable, carries no debt and maintains a healthy capital reserve available for future planned improvements and lodge expansions.
For more information on Caledon Ski Club, visit https://caledonskiclub.com/
We are recruiting a talented full-time Controller to be responsible for supporting the General Manger in ensuring the smooth operation and accurate reporting of all Club financial matters. The person in this role is responsible for administering and performing various accounting functions, including the preparation of monthly and annual financial reports and statements, assisting with budgeting, and oversight for ledgers, accounts payable and other transactions. In addition, this role is responsible for preparing payroll for the salaried, bi-weekly and seasonal staff.
The Controller will be responsible for the following:
- Financial Accounting – preparation of all journal entries, and full cycle accounting including monthly financial statements, annual operating and capital budgets, cash flow projections, bank reconciliations, credit card reconciliations, and other account reconciliations, and maintenance of the fixed asset account schedule and associated depreciation.
- Compliance – remittance, in a timely manner, of all tax (source deductions, HST, EHT, WSIB, and income taxes), completion of regulatory filings and other reporting requirements.
- Audit – preparation of all documentation required for the annual Audit, coordination with Club auditors to ensure annual tax returns are filed accurately and on time for both the Club and the Club’s numbered company.
- Accounts Receivable - Prepare and send the Chalet Members’ Quarterly statements, and respond to all member inquiries and requests quickly and professionally.
- Accounts Payable – Manage the Accounts Payable function, including posting invoices, reviewing all invoices for appropriate documentation and approvals in accordance with Club policies, process vendor payments within vendor credit terms, and perform cheque runs. Work to identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness of the AP Processing.
- HR / Payroll – Supervise the input and processes for payroll data including new hires, employee updates and terminations, prepare and submit bi-weekly, calculate, reconcile, and prepare journal entries for payroll earnings and deductions.
- General – Compliance with all company policies, work closely with the needs of the members, departmental managers, and various club committees; general duties as assigned.
- Handle all financial and Club related matters with a great amount of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability.
- Technically strong in accounting principles (GAAP), practices and procedures and internal controls.
- Knowledge of financial analysis and reconciliation techniques.
- High level of computer proficiency with Excel spreadsheets and accounting software.
- Experience in payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliation and cash procedures.
- Ability to review existing financial controls and reporting systems and make recommendations and implementation changes to modernize and create efficiencies.
- Focused on delivering high levels of service and responding to all inquiries/requests in a professional manner and with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated skills in time management, planning and organization.
- Confident, energetic with ability to build credibility with staff at all levels.
- Proven ability to be proactive and use good judgment.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal & external stakeholders.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and be resourceful.
- Able to maintain confidentiality / privacy of information.
- Able to work weekends and holidays during the ski season and for the Annual General Meeting in October.
- Will perform their duties and ensure that they work in accordance with Caledon’s Health & Safety Policy and Procedures as well as the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must follow all manuals, handbooks, rules, and regulations provided in the course of employment at Caledon Ski Club.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, March 3rd at 5:00pm EDT. If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position, please include that information in your submission. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Caledon Ski Club Controller Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Caledon Ski Club Controller Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview. Please email resume with references.
Lead Search Consultants:
Managing Director & Partner
Liz McDowell, CPA, CA, CCM