Executive Search: Controller for St. George’s Golf & Country Club
- February 21, 2023
- Michael Gregory, Liz McDowell, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
St. George’s Golf & Country Club
The historic St. George’s Golf & Country Club is home to one of Canada’s finest golf courses. While the club has gone through several enhancements to the club and course over its 90-year history, the commitment has remained to preserve the legendary storied past while providing the membership with a world class club experience.
Host of the 2022 RBC Canadian Open and Golf Canada Foundation’s charitable efforts, the club is also home to spectacular amenities including elegantly appointed locker rooms, an indoor learning centre, three golf simulators, incredible clubhouse events, and magnificent cuisine.
We are recruiting an accomplished full time Controller to take charge of the Club's accounting and finance functions. Reporting to the General Manager, the Controller is an integral member of the Senior Management Team and will lead an accounting team of three people. The Controller is a contributing team manager to the overall Club operation, and manages the financial operations of the Club, supervises the accounting functions, and provides analytical support to the GM, Finance & Risk Committee, Board of Directors and others for planning, budgets, and solutions to business problems. This includes recommendations on the implementation and maintenance of the Club's financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports. The Controller is a strong Club business partner and makes decisions in accordance with Club policy on administrative or operational matters, ensuring the effective achievement of objectives.
The Controller will be responsible for the following:
- Recommend and implement policies to control and coordinate accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities and records; develop, establish, and administer procedures and systems pertaining to financial matters. Responsible for the Club’s internal controls and compliance to same. Periodically report to the Audit, Finance & Risk Committee on the status of internal controls, and opportunities to improve and strengthen controls.
- Prepare financial statements, forecasts, and analysis for all administrative and managerial functions in a timely manner. Maintain all accounting records; develop, analyze, and interpret statistical and accounting information.
- Manage the annual external audit and ensure all year end reporting requirements are met. Prepare the first draft of year end financial statements and notes in conjunction with the audit.
- Evaluate and recommend insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities. Lead negotiations with Club’s insurance partners.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets with senior leadership team, including short- and long-term business plans, and financial forecasts.
- Actively manage cash and working capital on an ongoing basis and develop cash flow projections to support cash and debt financing requirements for operations and capital investments. Work with financial institutions to secure debt management facilities and maintain proper covenants. Invest excess funds in accordance with the investment policy to maximize returns while ensuring sufficient liquidity to meet cash requirements.
- Oversee Human Resources operations and ensure proper controls are established around payroll and all related HR processes.
- Evaluate and coordinate appropriate technologies to support the activities of the Club.
- Responsible for hiring, training, coaching, and evaluating the performance of department employees. This individual recommends training requirements and has the duty to keep staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet Club needs and objectives.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and operation of all accounting and information systems support; for the administration, management, and maintenance of the equipment systems employed in the collection of information and for the training and supervision of staff related, but not limited, to the Administration department.
- Furnishes internal reports, revises, and updates reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnishes external reports, including for tax and other government reporting, as necessary.
- CPA Strongly preferred.
- Five years of professional accounting experience as a Controller or Financial Manager.
- Experience working with Not-for-profit Organizations, the private club industry an asset.
- Familiarity with golf an asset.
- Ability to work collaboratively on a senior leadership team.
- Excellent management, leadership, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Strong oral, written, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
The position is currently vacant.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Monday, March 13th at 5:00pm EDT. If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position, please include that information in your submission. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, St Georges Controller Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, St Georges Controller Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview. Please email resume with references.
Lead Search Consultants:
Managing Director & Partner
Liz McDowell, CPA, CA, CCM
For more information on St. Georges Golf and Country Club: www.stgeorgesgolfandcountryclub.com.