Executive Search: General Manager for The Royal Ottawa Golf Club
- March 29, 2023
- Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
The Royal Ottawa Golf Club
The Royal Ottawa Golf Club (ROGC) is one of the oldest establishments of its kind in Canada. The Club’s roots in the game of golf and history in the National Capital Region run deep. Founded in 1891, the Club received the prestigious Royal designation in 1912.
Private yet welcoming, fostering friendships, social activity and friendly competition are integral to Club life, while all five of Royal Ottawa’s competitive teams are in Class A competitive divisions.
The traditional and classic design of the clubhouse and patio is a welcomed setting for the noteworthy food, beverage and social ambiance of the Club. The traditional and challenging layout of the 18-hole Main Course will test the skills of even the most avid golfer, in just four hours. The relaxed atmosphere of the Royal Nine course provides a perfect setting for those honing their techniques, also making it ideal for families and juniors. The Club’s newly built academy, driving range and short-game facility operates with state-of-the-art technologies, and is the largest such facility in Canada.
The General Manager (GM) serves as the Chief Operating Officer. The GM will manage all aspects of the Club, including its activities and relationships between the Club and its Board of Directors, Members, guests, employees, community, government, and industry.
Reporting to the Board of Directors through the President, the General Manager is responsible for managing the overall performance of the ROGC by providing an exceptional Member experience. The General Manager will have a strong command of industry trends in addition to industry benchmarks and best practices.
Highly visible and interactive throughout all seasons, the GM will be a professional in personal style, demeanour and presence, and comfortable interacting with Members and staff. As chief host within the Club and ambassador of the Club within the community, the GM manages the quality of the Club’s services to ensure Member and guest satisfaction.
The GM will be expected, along with their team, to develop ongoing strategies that contribute to fulfilling the Club’s Vision and Mission as approved by the Board and the Membership. The GM will also lead the annual planning, goal setting and financial performance of the Club.
Experience and understanding of the game of golf, its history and traditions, and a minimum of ten years of progressive management experience in a well-regarded private club or similar hospitality environment is required.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Develop an effective working relationship with the Board of Directors and Committees.
- Lead the development of the Club’s strategic and annual plans, consistent with the Club’s Vision and Mission.
- Lead, mentor and build a strong management team including effective performance management along with succession planning.
- Follow industry trends, benchmarks and best practices and develop strategies that maintain the ROGC’s best-in-class premier golf club position.
- Value the Club’s heritage, historic Clubhouse and Royal designation.
- Give thoughtful consideration to issues of change to ensure the ROGC remains a premier club.
- Be well-known and visible to the Membership.
- Be fiscally responsible while investing in the Club’s people and assets to ensure an exceptional Member experience.
- Ensure that the Club is operated in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Provide timely, relevant, and accurate reporting, including key indicators, performance metrics and benchmarking.
- Maintain a long-term financial plan that incorporates cash flow planning and membership recruiting strategies.
- Ensure the golf courses and practice facilities are to the highest standards of condition and playability.
- Ensure that the teaching capabilities and quality of teaching experience are the highest possible standard.
- Ensure that the Pro Shop provides goods and services that are commensurate with the highest standards, and that prices are competitive.
- Promote the course such that it receives the highest possible ratings from external sources.
- Promote a long-term vision for the golf courses and practice facilities via the Golf Course Master Plan.
- Nurture the spirit of the game, fostering a community atmosphere through participation, player development, competition and enjoyment.
Member and Clubhouse Experience:
- Deliver a consistently exceptional Clubhouse experience by providing a high-calibre food and beverage offering, quality service and Member social programming.
- Ensure that the Club has identified an appropriate long-term maintenance and Campus Master Plan.
- Encourage participation and pride of membership through communication and engagement.
- Consistently communicate with the membership and enforce Club rules.
The ideal candidate possesses strong interpersonal skills, is a proven collaborator and relationship builder, and is action- and results-oriented.
- An innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen and passion for continuous improvement.
- Able to display sound judgement and make complex decisions in support of the Club’s Vision and Mission.
- A drive to identify industry best practices and key benchmarks.
- A dynamic leader and motivator that prides themselves on the accomplishments of their team and the willingness to provide ongoing constructive feedback.
- Experience managing large, complex projects.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Member experience-driven attitude
- Conducts themselves in a responsible and professional manner.
- Able to be diplomatic and tactful, yet firm, when dealing with Member constituents.
- Self-starter, results-orientated and hands-on when needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- A post-secondary degree in business or a golf-related program.
- A Certified Club Manager designation is preferred (CCM).
- Experience reporting to a Board and an understanding of club governance.
- A leadership track record.
- Experience in a premier club environment.
- Bilingualism would be considered an asset.
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications, along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and retirement savings matching program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter, which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position, by April 21st at 5:00pm PST.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Royal Ottawa GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Royal Ottawa GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on The Royal Ottawa Golf Club, visit https://royalottawagolfclub.com/