Executive Search: General Manager/COO for La Crosse Country Club
- April 20, 2023
- Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
La Crosse Country Club
The La Crosse Country Club, located in Onalaska, offers country club services and programs to members in the Western Wisconsin area.
The centerpiece of this family-centric facility is the 7,181-yard Arthur Hill-designed golf course occupying two separate valleys among the rolling hills of Emerald Valley along with a spacious practice facility. Beyond golf, members can choose from a variety of other activities to entertain the entire family. The tennis center features five courts, including a stadium option with Nova ProBounce and pickleball. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, members and their families take advantage of fun in the sun at the Club’s main pool and the family pool. When it is time for a meal, members have four options including the Main dining room, Grill room, Mulligan’s bar and at the cabana bar and patio.
The Club does a robust event business and is known as a premier wedding venue available to members and non-members year-round. The elegant facility, which features both indoor and outdoor space, is available to host up to 250 guests and the experienced professional staff has a reputation for taking care of every detail.
- Members - 436
- Initiation Fee - $5,000
- Annual Dues - $7,015
- Gross Volume - $4.2 million
- Total Annual Dues - $2 million
- F&B Volume - $1.2 million
- Gross Payroll - $1.9 million
- Employees - 104
- Board Members - 9
- Average age of members - 36
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer Position
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer manages all aspects of the club including its activities and the relationships between the club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government, and industry. The GM/COO coordinates and administers the club’s policies as defined by its Board of Directors, develops operating policies, procedures and directs the work of all department managers. Additional duties include the implementation and monitoring of the budget, the Club’s products and services and maximization of member and guest satisfaction. The GM/COO must also secure and protect the club’s assets, including all facilities and equipment.
- Leads the senior management team to maintain and improve the member experience and foster a unified team culture. Builds strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Provides direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training while promoting employee well-being. Respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Properly manages all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure the highest quality standards for food, beverage, sports and recreation, entertainment, and other Club services. Reviews and initiates programs to provide members with a variety of popular events.
- Coordinate the development and execution of the club’s long-range and annual operational plans to achieve the club’s mission.
- Prepare comprehensive operating plans and budgets, obtain approval from the board, and operate in accordance with approved budgets. Maintain a long-term capital budget to assure the sustained material condition of all physical assets of the club.
- Plan, develop and approve specific operational policies, programs, procedures, methods, rules, and regulations in concert with board-approved policies.
- Work with board-established committees to ensure they are well-supported and operate in accordance with approved policies and directives.
- Performs competitive analyses of Clubs and other businesses providing member alternatives through personal observations and historical reports. Provide the board and committees with relevant information on trends and developments.
- Oversee security, risk management, and health and safety programs to implement and manage measures put in place to protect members, employees, staff, and club physical assets.
- Maintain clear, consistent dialogue with the board and develop a comprehensive communication program to keep appropriate constituents apprised of club operations, member satisfaction, and financial performance.
- Operate the club in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws. Ensure compliance with regulatory and other governmental agencies that have oversight of various club assets and operations.
- Perform other duties and functions the board may direct that are consistent with this job description.
- Director of Events
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Head Golf Professional
- Director of Food and Beverage
- Executive Assistant
The successful candidate should possess the following core competencies, experiences, and attributes.
- Ability to define a simple and understandable vision of success for the management team.
- See the big picture, take stock, identify problems/needs, and conceptualize solutions/strategies.
- Focus on the essentials, attend to detail, and follow through on decisions.
- Attract and develop a strong and supportive management team capable of ensuring a smooth transfer of responsibility when tasks are delegated.
- Demonstrate a strong member satisfaction ethic and to interact with the membership in a frequent and friendly manner.
- Manage day-to-day pressures and maintain a healthy and positive culture.
- Excellent written and verbal, timely communications to appropriate constituents.
- Encourages two-way communication from all stakeholders alike.
- Experience as a senior leader at a private members club or other similar top tier facility, with an understanding of what it means to provide a premium member experience and a passion for delivering it.
- Knowledge and understanding of business and financial acumen, both from an operational and a strategic perspective.
- Strong understanding of private club governance and ability to implement strategic club initiatives.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club, hospitality, and leisure environment.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business preferred.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) or in active pursuit of designation preferred.
Note: A pre-employment background check will be required.
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and retirement savings matching program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, May 12, 2023.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, La Crosse GM/COO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, La Crosse GM/COO Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail resume with references.
Lead Search Executives
Managing Director & Partner
Dee Anna Clarke
For more information about La Crosse Country Club, please visit www.lacrossecountryclub.com.