Executive Search: General Manager for The Georgian Peaks Club
- May 26, 2023
- Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
The Georgian Peaks Club
For over 60 years, the Georgian Peaks Club (the “Peaks”) has been providing exceptional experiences for Southern Ontario's most active families in a safe and rewarding environment. The Peaks provides the highest, longest, and most challenging terrain in the province including some of the best intermediate and beginner runs for skiers and snowboarders of all ages and abilities. The Peaks has 750 member families who enjoy 3 lodges, 5 lifts and over 24 runs. Here you will find the only ski area in Southern Ontario with enough vertical to hold a F.I.S. sanctioned Giant Slalom race and, our best-in-class Alpine programs are recognized across North America, consistently turning young athletes into Olympians.
The Peaks is located on the shores of Georgian Bay, 12 kilometers west of Collingwood and 5 minutes from Thornbury. Downtown Toronto is less than 2.5 hours away.
The General Manager (“GM”) is responsible for the execution of all strategic plan initiatives while fostering a culture of continuous operational and experiential excellence. Reporting to and working with the Board of Directors, this individual will bring the Peaks vision to life. The candidate’s willingness to take on bold challenges along with strong leadership and strategic capabilities, ensures the success of the Club while protecting its fiscal integrity.
- Director of Finance
- Director of Alpine Programs
- Director of Outside Operations
- Director of Food and Beverage
- Membership and Guest Services Manager
- Membership Experience Manager
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Oversee the complete operation of the Club in accordance with the direction and vision established by the Board and all applicable local and federal laws.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with members, staff, local government officials, leaders of other private ski clubs, etc.
- Lead, coach, direct and mentor the management team which will include setting annual goals and objectives, performance evaluation and accountability.
- Oversee the creation, approval and execution of annual business plans, annual budgets, annual capital plans and long term strategic and capital plans.
- Provide an active presence at the club and be highly visible to the membership and staff.
- Troubleshoot day-to-day operating challenges in a timely manner.
- Oversee the Club’s, health and safety, security, and risk management programs – protecting members and employees as well as physical assets.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board, in a timely and accurate manner, providing necessary information for the Board's fiduciary and oversight responsibilities (e.g., monthly reporting).
- Work with the Board and its Committees and serve as a liaison between the Board, staff, and membership.
- Maintain familiarity, knowledge and compliance of all Club by-laws, health and safety legislation, insurance, T.S.S.A Regulations, Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, etc. and assure standards are met.
- Continuously strive to improve member and guest experience.
- Oversee the new membership development initiative. Set and achieve targets for new membership numbers.
- Establish and maintain appropriate member expectations through effective communication practices. Create a communication strategy including frequency, content and requests for feedback.
- Solicit member feedback through pulse surveys.
- Create, obtain approval for, and execute short and mid-term strategic plans.
- Minimum of 10 years experience of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment or related field.
- A University or College Degree/Diploma in Hospitality Management, Business Management, Ski Resort Management or a related field.
- Exceptional leadership skills with proven success at leading teams.
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to build, grow and cultivate new and existing relationships.
- Experience partnering with a Board of Directors.
- Exceptional near term and long-range strategic thinking and planning capability
- A ski or snowboard enthusiast.
- An experienced visionary and transformational leader who can lead, coach, and motivate staff to take bold actions.
- Strong team player with an orientation to take initiative. Flexible, adaptive, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities. Ability to successfully handle multiple complex priorities concurrently.
- Ability to work in an environment where unanticipated changes in demands often necessitate a change in priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Ability to organize and manage projects, adapting as needed to changing priorities and deadlines, emerging issues, impacts of decisions, competing and conflicting demands, and to keep staff, colleagues and the Board informed as required.
- Strong judgment, interpersonal, problem solving and influencing skills.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- Possess excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Club’s core values.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by June 18, 2023. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Georgian Peaks Resume” and "Last Name, First Name, Georgian Peaks Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on The Georgian Peaks Club, visit https://www.georgianpeaks.com/