Executive Search: General Manager for Sewickley Heights Golf Club
- July 12, 2023
- Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Sewickley Heights Golf Club
Over 60 years ago, five men had a vision to turn land that was planned to be an airport into Sewickley Heights Golf Club. The centerpiece of this private club is the James G. Harrison- designed, 7,029-yard, par 71 golf course that meanders across rolling hills amid mature landscape.
After golf, members have the option of enjoying both casual and fine dining in the Club’s four venues, including al fresco dining and cocktails on the newly constructed outdoor patio. The Semple ballroom, named after founding member and former USGA President Bud Semple, is host to weddings and special events for up to 200 guests throughout the year.
In 2022, the Club embarked on the development of a 5-Year Strategic Plan. This process involved a top-to-bottom examination of the Club’s governance model, market position, operations, membership structure, utilization, communications efforts, and finances that enabled the Board to set strategic initiatives that now serve as the guide to meet the needs of our existing members as well as those who will join in the future.
Sewickley Heights Golf Club Overview
- 523 memberships (Golf: 417, Social: 106)
- Initiation fee (Resident Member Golf: $10,000)
- Annual Dues (Golf: $8,544)
- $5.40M Gross volume
- $2.86M Annual dues
- $1.12M F&B volume
- $2.60M Gross payroll
- 100 Employees (during peak season)
- 12 Board members
- Average age of members is 55
The General Manager Position
The person chosen as the General Manager of Sewickley Heights will:
- Report to the Board and coordinate with the Board President on a regular basis.
- Implement policies established by the Board and the Club’s By-Laws.
- Assume responsibility for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all areas of the Club that execute on the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Help to facilitate a team environment based on positive morale, high ethical standards, and efficient use of resources to position Sewickley Heights GC as a preferred employer of choice in the community.
- In conjunction with the Finance team, prepare an annual operating and capital budget and manage operations to attain desired results established by budgets.
- Coordinate all management functions, working with committee chairs to develop proposed policies, programs, and events.
- Serve as lead coordinator of programming, developing synergy among all departments.
- Oversee internal and external marketing strategies for membership growth and increased member engagement.
- Be highly visible to members and staff.
- Establish and communicate the standard for staff to provide first-class hospitality.
Important Individual Characteristics
- A naturally enthusiastic personality and passion for the club management profession.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement.
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the Board and committees.
- Possess effective written and verbal communications skills.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club are met.
- Ability to cultivate a high level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of top-notch food and beverage experiences for Club members and guests.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Understanding of the importance of digital communications, with the ability to utilize web and social media tools to communicate with staff and the membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- A minimum of five years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment. Along with General Managers, current Assistant General Managers or Clubhouse Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement will also be considered.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation or desired future attainment of designation preferred.
- Note: A pre-employment drug screen, background check, and reference check will be required.
Salary & Benefits
The salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by August 9, 2023.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Sewickley Heights Golf Club GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Sewickley Heights Golf Club GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com. Please email résumé with references.
Lead Search Executive
Dee Anna Clarke
For more information about Sewickley Heights Golf Club, please visit www.shgc.org