Executive Search: Chief Operating Officer for The Toronto Golf Club
- September 7, 2023
- Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Chief Operating Officer
The Toronto Golf Club
Established in 1876, The Toronto Golf Club (“the Club”) is the third oldest golf club in North America and was originally located in the east end of Toronto. In 1911 the Club purchased property on the banks of the Etobicoke River and at this time brought Harry S. Colt over from England, where he enjoyed a reputation as one of the premier golf architects, to design its 18-hole course.
In 2009, the Colt course was lovingly restored under the direction of English golf course architect Dr. Martin Hawtree, a world-recognized expert on the restoration of Colt courses in the U.K. and North America. In 2016, the 9-hole Howard Watson Course and entire practice academy was also restored under the direction of Dr. Martin Hawtree.
The final component of the first phase of the Clubhouse Master Plan renovations are due to be completed by spring of 2024.
The Club serves Members and their families through all aspects related to the game of golf, as the Club’s focus is on golf. Members and guests enjoy food and beverage options as well as opportunities to host private functions at the Club. The Club currently has over 1,400 members representing various membership categories.
The Toronto Golf Club is considered a ‘home away from home’ for Members.
The Toronto Golf Club's Guiding Principles
- Our focus is golf. We strive for excellence in all that we offer our members.
- We are accountable to and respect all of our fellow members. We and our guests respect all of our staff.
- We are committed to equity, accessibility and inclusion for all of our members, guests and staff.
- We value our rich heritage and the congeniality and courtesy of our members. We also value and cherish our exceptional facilities. We strive to maintain and improve our golf courses and the beauty and ambiance of our Clubhouse and surroundings.
- We seek to provide a lifetime of playing enjoyment at our Club by encouraging the development of the golfing interest and ability of our members from the youngest to the eldest. We have an obligation to maintain a strong membership through membership renewal.
- We acknowledge and strive to meet our responsibilities to the larger golfing community, which stem from our rich heritage in golf in Canada, including being a founding member of the Golf Association of Ontario.
- We are founded upon and respect the traditions of the past, yet give thoughtful consideration to issues of change to ensure we remain an outstanding golf club into the future.
Serves as Chief Operating Officer of The Toronto Golf Club: manages all aspects of the Club including its activities and the relationships between the Club and the Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government, and industry. Coordinates and implements the Club’s policies as defined by the Board of Directors. Develops operating policies and procedures and directs the work of all departmental managers. Generates and monitors budgets and financial statements, monitors the quality of the Club’s products and services and ensures maximum member and guest satisfaction. Secures and protects the Club’s assets, including facilities and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generates operating and capital budgets that contain sufficient detail to enable accurate projection of revenues and expenses and that disclose underlying assumptions, for ultimate Board approval.
- Generates and monitors monthly, annual, and other financial statements of the Club; takes effective corrective action as required.
- Analyzes financial statements, monitors cash flow, and maintains adequate internal controls.
- Ensures that the financial integrity of the Club is maintained at all times.
- Establishes and monitors compliance with purchasing policies and procedures; and
- Ensures that the Club’s assets are adequately insured against casualty and property losses, and liability losses to the Club and its Board members and staff.
- Develops (for review and approval by the Board of Directors) a Strategic Plan, Board Calendar and Annual Operating Plan.
- Develops, maintains, and administers a sound organizational plan; initiates improvements as necessary; and
- Apprises the Board of trends, changing circumstances and unexpected occurrences with any recommendations for amendment of the Strategic Plan.
- Is knowledgeable regarding best governance practices for private clubs and committed to transparency.
- Implements policies established by the Board of Directors including the Governance Report approved by the Board.
- Plans, develops, and approves specific operational policies, programs, procedures, and methods in concert with Board policies.
- Issues notice of meetings, attends Board and Annual Meetings, serves as the Corporate Secretary appointed annually by the Board of Directors.
- Consistently monitors Club’s bylaws, rules, and regulations for continued relevance to the Club’s operations, and
- Reports in a timely fashion any actual or anticipated material noncompliance with a policy of the Board.
- Has authority over and accountability for all staff.
- Hires, trains, motivates, evaluates, compensates, and terminates staff in a professional, non-discriminatory, and caring fashion.
- Has the authority to appoint and remove any and all employees and agents of the Club and settle the terms of their employment and remuneration in accordance with policies established by the Board.
- Establishes personnel policies in accordance with policies established by the Board; initiates and monitors policies relating to personnel actions and training and professional development programs.
- Works with his direct reports to schedule, supervise and direct the work of all employees.
- Ensures that a succession plan is in place for each of his four direct reports.
- Provides the Board with an annual assessment of each of his four direct reports, for information purposes.
- Conducts regular performance reviews with his four direct reports and ensures that each of them implements a protocol whereby all staff have job descriptions and participate in a review at least once a year; and
- Reviews current staffing model to ensure all functions are being performed by appropriately trained personnel and that the Club is staffed to meet the needs of the members in a cost-effective fashion.
- Provides oversight of and manages all capital projects and related expenditures approved by the Board; and
- Is proactive in planning for capital projects that need to be considered for the benefit of the Club.
- Consistently ensures the Club is operated in compliance with all applicable municipal, provincial, and federal regulations.
- Provides an annual report to the Board of Directors regarding such compliance.
- Maintains relations with police, fire, AGCO, health department and other governmental agencies.
- Evaluates and manages the current membership application process to ensure continued strength of potential members; and
- Coordinates the marketing and membership relations programs to promote the Club’s services and facilities to potential and present members.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of all the Club’s physical assets and facilities.
- Ensures the highest standards for food, beverage, golf, recreation, entertainment, and other Club services.
- Conducts ongoing evaluation of Club programs and events to ensure the consistent provision of outstanding services to meet the needs and expectations of members, guests and employees.
- Is accessible and visible to members and responds to members’ concerns in a timely manner.
- Adopts and maintains an environmentally responsible protocol for all operations.
- Serves as the staff liaison on the various Board committees.
- Receives and resolves complaints from members, guests, and staff; and
- Maintains membership with professional club management organizations and attends conferences, seminars, and other professional development opportunities to keep abreast of current information and developments in club management.
Manager of Golf Course Operations, Clubhouse Manager, Chief Financial Officer and Head Professional
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and pension program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by September 29th at 5:00pm EDT.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Toronto Golf Club COO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Toronto Golf Club COO Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on The Toronto Golf Club, visit torontogolfclub.com