Executive Search: Director of Golf for The National Golf Club of Canada
- November 8, 2023
- Kathy Grayson, Canada, Michael Gregory, Placement, Private Clubs, Executive Search
Director of Golf
The National Golf Club of Canada
The National Golf Club of Canada
Located in Woodbridge, just north of Toronto, Ontario, The National Golf Club of Canada (“The National” or the “Club”), Canada’s preeminent private golf club, is seeking an extraordinary leader to serve as Director of Golf.
The National is an equity golf club established in 1987 with 468 members. We pride ourselves on our commitment to golf, the golf experience and our renowned George and Tom Fazio (1974) golf course, which is consistently rated as one of the best in Canada and heralded internationally.
The role of Director of Golf at The National - the top-job in Canadian golf - offers an extremely challenging yet extraordinarily rewarding opportunity for a highly capable, experienced, and respected professional. The Director of Golf is looked upon to set the standard for golf operation by providing world-class programs, services, and leadership. The individual will promote an enthusiastic professional atmosphere focused on Member enjoyment and satisfaction through a visible, accessible, and professional management/leadership style. The Director of Golf will work with the Professional team to address Members concerns, complaints, and compliments, and with the Membership Coordinator to provide new member orientation in a timely manner.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Possess the highest level of accountability for ensuring the golf operation is executing at a world-class level and be recognized as a leader in the Canadian golf industry.
- Oversee and direct the day-to-day activities of the golf operations.
- Implementation of policies and standard operating procedures; enforcing all rules and regulations established by the club.
- Assist in communication to the members via publication of newsletters, website, informational and promotional materials and actively promote golf events at the club.
- Onboard new members and acclimate them to club rules and regulations, assimilate them into group play, encourage event participation, and maintain handicap.
- Create a playing schedule where all team members actively play golf with all segments of the membership.
- Directly responsible for all staffing and training, human resources activities of the golf operations personnel.
- Applies and administers the Club’s policies and by-laws in day-to-day operations.
- Act as the staff liaison to the Club’s Captain and attend all relevant committee meetings.
- Maintain a professional image in and around the Club.
- Prepare and administer the annual budgets for golf operations.
- Ensure the golf operation is compliant with all Club financial guidelines including purchasing, inventory, payroll, and fee schedules.
- Responsible for preparing monthly reports for both the Captain’s Committee and General Manager
- Review and report on P&L monthly golf operations, providing explanations on variances and forecasting.
- Ultimately responsible for pro shop inventory and delivery of annual targets.
- Hire, train, and mentor a professional staff with a positive and service-oriented attitude
- Develop personal career plans for each staff member; meet with them quarterly to review progress.
- Conduct daily line-ups, weekly staff meetings and seasonal team retreats to ensure the vision of the club is clearly understood and member and guest experiences are consistent.
- Empower staff and ensure they are engaged in all areas of the operation.
- Conduct both stay and exit interview to garner feedback for continuous operations improvement.
- Design, coordinate and successfully execute all golf events.
- Assist in a Play Better golf program wherein the handicap of any player comes down following the system.
- Research new tournament formats
- Communicate weekly rules tips and promote club events by engaging members on the practice range and first tee as well as through member outreach and club communication systems.
- Oversight of business and programming of the Ben Kern Learning Centre (indoor golf)
- Research and recommend teaching technologies that will enhance the member experience.
- Assist in program design and offerings for: full senior members, intermediates, juniors and female spouses and daughters.
- Conduct clinics and seminars to engage members and enhance programming.
- Play golf with Members when appropriate.
Merchandise Concession: (owned by The National Golf Club)
- Final approval on all merchandise and golf equipment purchases.
- Develop partnerships with vendors who will invest and support the success of the golf shop.
- Return demo product and defective merchandise in a timely manner and ensure proper credits and/or reimbursements are received.
- Maintain accurate member credits for tournaments and other events.
- Attendance at trade shows to research new products and services.
- Stays current with technology, continues education in the C.P.G.A., keep management methods up-to-date, and continue to upgrade Teaching & Coaching certification
- Participates as a member of the PGA of Ontario, PGA of Canada, and maintains a local network of industry contacts.
- Professional Staff
- Director of Instruction
- Starters and Rangers
- Range Attendants
- Administrative Assistant
- Back Shop Staff
Reports to the General Manager and liaises with the Captain’s Committee and Board of Directors
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Head Professional or Director of Golf.
- Class ‘A’ member of the PGA of Canada, PGA of America
- Computer literate: Excel, Word, Golf Genius, P.O.S. programs i.e., Northstar and or Jonas
- Possess the highest level of understanding in the rules of golf, tournament formatting, scoring, and handicapping.
The Club will offer a very attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by November 29, 2023.
Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, National Resume” and "Last Name, First Name, National Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultants:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on The National Golf Club of Canada, visit https://nationalgolf.ca