Executive Search: GM at Bayview Golf & Country Club
- November 9, 2020
- Executive Search, Governance, Placement
BAYVIEW GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB
Bayview is an outstanding, all-season Toronto Country Club. Centrally located in the GTA, Bayview has been a treasured part of members’ lives for nearly 60 years. Bayview members enjoy a world-class golf course complemented by exceptional sports, recreation, dining and social experiences, all centered in a modern, full-service family private club setting with curling, tennis, aquatics and fitness facilities.
An impeccable world-class golf course serves as a focal point for our Bayview family. Play outdoor in summer and indoor in winter on Bayview’s six highest-quality Har-Tru courts. Enjoy a full range of programs from friendly daily play to competitive tournaments and inter-club competitions. It’s a cottage in the city! A fabulous 13,000 sq. ft. complex featuring sparkling heated swimming pool, huge sunning deck, swimming lanes, splash pad and wading pool for kids, and delicious poolside dining.
Bayview has a rich history and is well-positioned for future success due to its strong and diverse membership roster, industry leading management team and recently completed significant clubhouse and golf course improvements.
The General Manager (“GM”) is the leader of Bayview’s management team and is responsible for managing all facets of the Club’s operations. The GM manages the affairs and directs the employees of the Club subject to and in accordance with the direction of the Board of Directors (the “Board”) acting through the President, who exercises supervisory authority over the GM. The GM attends all meetings of the Board and is an ex-officio member (i.e. non-voting member) of all Board committees.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
Our Membership Experience:
- Develop and deliver a consistently outstanding member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier Tier 1 private golf and country club.
- Manage all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards and quality of activities and service provided by the Club to ensure a high level of member satisfaction as measured by our annual Club survey.
- Oversee the development and successful implementation of all marketing and member relations programs to both attract new members and foster positive relations with existing members and their guests. Ensure all new club members are “met” and properly oriented to the Club. It is important to be visible and accessible to our members.
Our Operational Excellence:
- Develop and implement best-in-class and industry leading operating policies, programs, procedures and methods while directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers.
- Monitor long and short-term financial objectives and reporting. In consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Director of Finance and Administration, prepare and execute the financial plan for the Club as follows: (i) develop annual operating, cash, and capital budgets; (ii) monitor monthly budget and other financial information (iii) initiate effective corrective action as required (iv) approve invoices and other arrangements before inception or payment; and (v) prepare and make timely financial reports to the Board.
- Monitor and stay current with industry trends and ensure Bayview implements improvements as required. Act as a focal point in the development of the Club’s long-range strategic and annual tactical plans consistent with the Club’s long-term strategic direction.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
- Maintain and develop a management philosophy that recognizes our people are a key part of the foundation of the Club’s success in delivering a great membership experience and competitive advantage. Actively promote a positive work environment where teamwork is emphasized.
- Develop and monitor basic Human Resource policies consistent with the Board’s desire to treat employees fairly at all times and be compliant with all laws/regulations.
- Manage and clearly define direct reports goals and objectives. Provide consistent feedback towards continuous improvement, and ensure appropriate personal development occurs, while incorporating succession planning for all key leadership roles.
- Be visible and approachable to all employees.
- Provide quality and timely communication with the Club’s President, Board, employees and members. Working collaboratively with the Board, this position will take responsibility/ownership of all aspects of Club operations, and share in the Club’s overall success.
Clubhouse Manager; Controller; Head Golf Professional; Golf Course Superintendent; Fitness Manager; Director of Tennis; Marketing & Membership Manager; Executive Chef and Curling Manager.
The GM reports to the Board of Directors acting through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Bayview, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance Member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training and is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
Standard of Care:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a Tier 1 private golf and country club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications.
- Leads our Commitment to Health and safety protocols and processes.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful GM through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic and competent professional who is a “doer” and a take charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Direct experience with golf, tennis, curling, fitness and food and beverage businesses.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Previous experience as a senior leader at a private golf and country club or other similar top tier golf facility, with a passion and understanding of what it means to have a premium country club experience.
- Experience in the hospitality industry beneficial.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to success.
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
Note: The position is currently vacant.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits. The GM/COO also participates in the Club’s performance bonus award program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, November 25, 2020. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Bayview Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, Bayview Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Bayview Golf & Country Club please visit www.bayviewclub.com.