Executive Search: GM at Vancouver Lawn Tennis & Badminton Club
- December 18, 2020
- Placement, Governance, Executive Search
VANCOUVER LAWN TENNIS & BADMINTON CLUB
The Vancouver Lawn Tennis and Badminton Club, founded in 1897, has a celebrated history as the city’s premier racquets and social club. Members enjoy superior tennis, badminton and squash programs, fitness and aquatics facilities, superb dining and outstanding service. Conveniently located just 10 minutes from downtown Vancouver and adjacent to the fine Vancouver neighbourhoods of Shaughnessy, Kerrisdale, Kitsilano and False Creek, the Club’s facilities, programs and staff of 100 cater to approximately 4000 members of all ages.
The Club completed a $15 million dollar renovation of its top floor banquet rooms, pub and main kitchen to enhance members’ experience and boost Food and Beverage operations in December 2016. Phase 2 of this renovation plan is set to start in 2022. The Club is currently completing the schematic design and costing for presentation to the membership in early 2021.
Vancouver Lawn provides an exciting opportunity to be part of the ultimate hospitality, leisure and sports environment with an active and engaged membership. The General Manager is expected to make a direct and significant contribution to the ongoing success of the Club, its members and employees.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the General Manager (“GM”) will bring a strategic direction to Vancouver Lawn and act as the primary catalyst to ensure the reputation of the Club is maintained and enhanced. The GM shall serve as Chief Operating Officer of the Club, managing all aspects of the Club including activities and relationships between the Club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry. The GM is the leader of the Club’s management team and is responsible for managing all facets of the Club’s operations.
Vancouver Lawn is seeking a GM who is dedicated to being the best and is willing to embrace the Club's core values of community, tradition, exceptional service, fiscal responsibility, and continuous improvement.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and deliver a consistently outstanding member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier private club.
- Manage all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards and quality of activities and service provided by the Club to ensure a high level of member satisfaction.
- Oversee the development and successful implementation of all marketing and member relations programs to both attract new members and foster positive relations with existing members and their guests. Ensure all new club members are “met” and properly oriented to the Club. It is important to be visible and accessible to our members.
- Develop and implement best-in-class and industry leading operating policies, programs, procedures and methods while directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers.
- Monitor long and short-term financial objectives and reporting. In consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Controller, prepare and execute the financial plan for the Club.
- Monitor and stay current with industry trends and ensure Vancouver Lawn implements improvements as required.
- Act as a catalyst in the development of a Strategic Plan that charts the future course of the Club. The plan will be updated on an annual basis and will act as the framework in which the Club is operated. The achievement of the key objectives in the plan will be the primary responsibility of the GM.
- Develop and implement an Annual Business Plan in the context of the Strategic Plan. Regularly update the Board on progress relative to both the Strategic and Annual Business Plans.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
- Maintain and develop a management philosophy that recognizes our people are a key part of the foundation of the Club’s success in delivering a great membership experience and competitive advantage. Actively promote a positive work environment where teamwork is emphasized.
- Develop and monitor Human Resource policies consistent with the Board’s desire to treat employees fairly at all times and be compliant with all laws/regulations/union contracts.
- Manage and clearly define direct reports’ goals and objectives. Provide consistent feedback towards continuous improvement, and ensure appropriate personal development occurs, while incorporating succession planning for all key leadership roles.
- Be visible and approachable to all employees.
- Provide quality and timely communication with the Club’s President, Board, employees and members. Working collaboratively with the Board, this position will take responsibility/ownership of all aspects of Club operations, and share in the Club’s overall success.
Controller; Membership & Marketing Director; Athletics Director; Food and Beverage Director; Operations Manager; Member Services Manager and Human Resources Manager.
The GM reports to the Board of Directors through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Vancouver Lawn, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance Member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training and is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
Standard of Care:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a premium private club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications.
- Leads our Commitment to Health and safety protocols and processes.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful GM through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic and competent professional who is a “doer” and a take charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Direct experience with racquet sports, fitness, aquatics and food and beverage businesses preferred.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Previous experience as a senior leader at a private multi-sport, family club or other similar top tier multi-sport facility, with a passion and understanding of what it means to have a premium club experience preferred.
- Experience in the hospitality industry beneficial.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to success.
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
Note: The incumbent will retire upon the selection and onboarding of the new GM.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits. The GM also participates in the Club’s performance bonus award program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, January 15, 2021. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Van Lawn Resume” and ‘Last Name, First Name, Van Lawn Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Vancouver Lawn Tennis & Badminton Club please visit vanlawn.com.