Executive Search: CEO/GM at The Toronto Hunt
- January 25, 2021
- Placement, Governance, Executive Search
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER/GENERAL MANAGER
THE TORONTO HUNT
The Toronto Hunt:
The Toronto Hunt (“the Club”) has been in operation for over 175 years. The Club has one of the finest locations in the Greater Toronto Area, with a spectacular setting and unrivaled vistas on the bluffs overlooking Lake Ontario. It is truly a hidden gem in the heart of the City of Toronto. The Club has an exceptional 9-hole golf course, fabulous dining, one of the most successful private club wine societies in Canada and a warm and congenial membership.
The 2019 strategic plan for the Club begins with the statement “The backdrop to this plan is the continued understanding that we are first and foremost a golf club.” Our vision is “To be a club of choice for our members and their guests, and to offer a golf and social experience of the highest quality.” The Club has consistently maintained a strong financial position and high governance standards. There is a membership waiting list.
The golf course has been ranked as the best 9-hole course in Canada and 35th in the world. The Club has 525 golf members. A state-of-the-art golf centre with four simulators was added in 2020 enabling year-round member enjoyment and instruction opportunities. The number of available golf memberships is limited to ensure the preservation of the Club’s long-standing tradition that no starting times are required for play at any time.
The Club has a robust, year-round food and beverage operation. Serving tens of thousands of meals annually, the clubhouse provides member dining and also serves member-sponsored functions including weddings. The Club also has 300 social members who, along with golf members, enjoy a variety of activities including a wine club, wine tastings, book club, bridge, cooking lessons, yoga, wellness events and frequently scheduled guest speakers.
The Toronto Hunt is seeking a Chief Executive Officer/General Manager (CEO/GM) who is dedicated to the Club’s vision “To be a club of choice for our members and their guests, and to offer a golf and social experience of the highest quality.”
Reporting to the Board of Directors through the President, the role of the CEO/GM is to manage Club operations in accordance with the strategic, financial and operational direction set by the Board. The CEO/GM shall serve as Chief Executive Officer of the Club, manage all aspects of the Club including activities and relationships between the Club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry. The CEO/GM is the leader of the Club’s management team and is responsible for managing all facets of the Club’s operations.
The CEO/GM will be responsible for the following:
- Developing and delivering a consistently excellent member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier private club.
- Properly managing all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards and quality of activities and services provided by the Club and to ensure a high level of member satisfaction.
- Developing and implementing best-in-class and industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures and methods and directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers.
- Monitoring long and short-term financial objectives and reporting; and, in consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Controller, preparing and executing the financial plan for the Club, developing annual operating, cash, and capital budgets and preparing and making financial reports for the Board.
- Establishing personnel policies, initiating and monitoring policies relating to personnel actions, and overseeing training and professional development programs. Acting as a mentor to Direct Reports.
- Coordinating the development of the Club’s long-range strategic and annual tactical plans consistent with the Club’s long-term strategic direction.
- Welcoming new Club members, and “meeting and greeting” all Club members as practical during their visits to the Club. Coordinating the marketing and member relations program to promote the Club’s services and facilities to present to potential members. Developing ongoing dialogue and rapport with members and being present at all major Club functions.
- Incorporating succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- Ensuring compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
Assistant General Manager, Director of Golf, Golf Course and Property Manager, Controller; Facility Manager, Executive Chef and Executive Assistant/Membership Secretary.
The CEO/GM will report to the Board of Directors through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of The Toronto Hunt, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training and is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
Standard of Care:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a premium private club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications.
- Analytical with the ability to use data effectively in reviewing revenue and cost centres.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful leader through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented workstyle combined with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic and competent professional who is a “doer” and a take- charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Direct experience with golf and hospitality businesses.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Previous experience as a senior leader at a private golf club or other similar top tier golf facility, with a passion and understanding of what it means to have a premium golf club experience.
- Experience in the hospitality industry beneficial.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and CEO/GM to success.
- Evidence of continued professional development.
Note: The position is currently vacant.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Thursday, February 18, 2021. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Toronto Hunt Resume” and ‘Last Name, First Name, Toronto Hunt Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
George Pinches, Director and Michael Gregory, Partner
GGA Partners, Inc.
For more information on The Toronto Hunt please visit torontohunt.com.