Director of Finance
The Toronto Lawn Tennis Club
The Toronto Lawn Tennis Club is a private members’ club in the heart of Rosedale, Toronto, and is conveniently located on the Yonge Street subway line. The Club has a long history, since 1876, of providing excellent tennis courts, coaching and programming for players of all ages and has built its reputation as the premier tennis club in Canada
In addition to 18 tennis courts (four indoors) the Club has four squash courts, a Fitness Centre, a seasonal pool, a Wellness Centre, and food and beverage outlets. The Club has 3,000 members, including family members of all ages; annual revenues are approximately $14 million. From high-caliber tennis, to all-around athletics and exceptional social scene, membership is about belonging to a uniquely warm community located right in the heart of Rosedale.
The Toronto Lawn Tennis Club is a historic facility that has been witness to the best tennis since the 19th century. Legends like Borg, Navratilova, Connors and Evert have all graced the club’s Har-Tru courts.
We are recruiting an accomplished full time Director of Finance to take charge of the Club’s accounting and finance functions. Reporting to the General Manager/Chief Operating Officer (GM/COO), the Director of Finance is an integral member of the Senior Management Team and will lead an accounting team of three people. The Director of Finance is a contributing team manager to the overall Club operation, and manages the financial operations of the Club, supervises the accounting functions, and provides analytical support to the GM/COO, Finance Committee, Board of Directors and others for planning, budgets, and solutions to business problems. This includes recommendations on the implementation and maintenance of the Club’s financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports. The Director of Finance is a strong Club business partner, and makes decisions in accordance with Club policy on administrative or operational matters, ensuring the effective achievement of objectives.
The Director of Finance will be responsible for the following:
- Recommend and implement policies to control and coordinate accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities and records; develop, establish, and administer procedures and systems pertaining to financial matters. Responsible for the Club’s internal controls and compliance to same.
- Prepare financial statements, forecasts, and analysis for all administrative and managerial functions. Maintain all accounting records; develop, analyze, and interpret statistical and accounting information.
- Manage the annual audit.
- Evaluates and recommends insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
- Coordinates and directs the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets, business plan, and financial forecasts; institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures; and analyzes and reports variances. The Club performs in a fiscal year beginning January 1 of each year.
- Development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of several personnel in the Administration department. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet Club needs and objectives.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and operation of all accounting and information systems support; for the administration, management, and maintenance of the equipment systems employed in the collection of information and for the training and supervision of staff related, but not limited, to the Administration department.
- Establishes major economic objectives and policies for the Club and prepares reports that outline the Club’s financial position in the areas of receivables, payables, payroll, purchasing, fixed asset accounting, cash flow management and banking arrangements.
- Furnishes internal reports, revises, and updates reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnishes external reports, including for tax and other government reporting, as necessary.
- Professional Accounting designation (CPA);
- Ten years of professional accounting experience with at least two years as Controller;
- Experience working with Not-for-profit Organizations, the private club industry, and volunteer committees;
- Excellent management, leadership, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Strong communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations;
- Knowledge of pertinent Ontario and federal employment laws and practices.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
The position is currently vacant.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, May 13th at 5:00pm EDT. If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position please include that information in your submission. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Toronto Lawn Finance Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Toronto Lawn Finance Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview. Please email resume with references.
Co-lead Search Consultant
Lead Search Consultant
Liz McDowell, CPA, CA, CCM
For more information on Toronto Lawn Tennis Club, visit www.torontolawn.com.