Chief Executive Officer
The Arbutus Club
The Arbutus Club (“the Club”) has been a landmark in Vancouver since 1964. The Club has evolved into a modern recreation complex with excellent food and beverage services. The Club’s wide range of facilities and programs, coupled with unparalleled service, have earned The Arbutus Club the reputation as one of Canada’s finest private clubs. The Arbutus Club’s first-class facilities include 12 tennis courts, five squash courts, three music studios, two gymnasiums, a pool complex, two ice rinks, and countless other amenities.
The Club is also home to numerous unique social facilities, many of which offer food and beverage services, including a casual café with poolside patio, a relaxed evening lounge with a bar, an upscale dining room, and a rooftop patio and garden.
The Club has experienced many expansions and renovations over its 60-year history. The first expansion occurred in 1969, when the Club added a gym, health spa, curling, and racquet courts. The Club underwent another expansion in 2008 with the construction of The Shoppe, Arbutus Studios, The Rooftop, Physiotherapy, and a parkade. Most recently, The Arbutus 2020 infrastructure expansion and improvement project was built upon the Club’s historical roots and growing its tomorrow.
For more information on The Arbutus Club, visit www.arbutusclub.com.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the senior management position, reporting to the Executive Committee of The Arbutus Club and, where appropriate, to the Board of Directors of the Club.
The CEO manages all aspects of the Club including its activities and the relationships between the Club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry. The CEO coordinates and administers the Club’s bylaws, rules and policies as set by the members of the Club or by its Board of Directors. This individual develops operating policies and procedures and directs the work of all department managers. The CEO implements and monitors the budget, monitors the quality of the Club’s facilities and services and ensures maximum member and guest satisfaction. This individual also secures and protects the Club’s assets, including facilities and equipment.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Leads the senior management team to maintain and improve the member experience and foster a unified team culture. Builds strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Provides direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training while promoting employee well-being. Respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Plans, develops and approves specific operational policies, programs, procedures and methods in concert with the bylaws, rules and policies.
- Coordinates the development of the Club’s long-range and annual operational plans. Develops, maintains and administers a sound organizational plan; initiates improvements as necessary.
- Coordinates development of operating and capital budgets according to the budget calendar; analyzes and monitors monthly and other financial statements for the Club, manages cash flow and establishes controls to safeguard funds, reviews revenue and costs relative to goals; takes effective corrective action as required.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of all the Club’s physical assets and facilities. Provides advice and recommendations to the Board of Directors and committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services not provided in approved plans and/or budgets.
- Coordinates the marketing and membership relations programs to promote the Club’s services and facilities to members.
- Properly manages all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure the highest quality standards for food, beverage, sports and recreation, entertainment and other Club services. Reviews and initiates programs to provide members with a variety of popular events.
- Prepares reports and other support material for committee and Board use. Attends meetings of the Club’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors. Coordinates and serves as ex-officio member of appropriate Club committees.
- Develops, maintains and disseminates a basic management philosophy to guide all Club personnel toward optimal operating results, employee morale and member satisfaction. Writes policy or approves those written by department heads, and obtains approval from the Board of Directors as necessary.
- Performs competitive analyses of Clubs and other businesses providing member alternatives through personal observations and historical reports.
- Promptly handles emergencies such as fires, accidents and breaches of security or Club bylaws, rules or policies promptly and, whenever possible, in person. Emphasizes prevention through training, inspection and preventive enforcement.
- Writes the Club newsletter.
Controller, Executive Chef, Director of Food & Beverage, Director of Operations, Plant Operations Manager, Director of Athletics & Recreation, Executive Assistant / Director of Communications & Strategy, Membership Manager, Human Resources Manager
The successful candidate should possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes.
- Thorough understanding of and proven ability to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a premium private club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful CEO through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Confident and capable of clear and effective two-way communication with individuals and groups, including stakeholders.
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with the membership.
- A diplomatic and competent professional who is a “doer” and a “take-charge” person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Possesses strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital & construction projects.
- Experience successfully leading hospitality operations in a club or similar setting.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Previous experience operating at a senior level in the customer service environment in one or more of the following sectors: a multi-sport, family club or other similar top tier multi-sport facility; hospitality; resort/recreational; or public sector where there is a wide range of services provided to a diverse customer base.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and CEO to success.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Experience in the hospitality industry preferred.
Enhanced background screening will be required.
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and retirement savings matching program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by March 12th at 5:00pm PST.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Arbutus CEO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Arbutus CEO Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner