CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
GOODWILL MIDDLE GEORGIA & THE CSRA
Augusta & Macon, GA
Dr. Edgar J. Helms, a Methodist minister, founded Goodwill in 1902 in Boston, MA. Dr. Helms collected used household goods and clothing in wealthier areas of the city, then trained and hired unemployed people to mend and repair the used goods. The goods were then resold, and proceeds paid the workers’ wages and were invested in the development of job training programs. The system worked, and the Goodwill philosophy of a hand up, not a hand out was born. Dr. Helms’ vision set an early course for what has become a $6.5 billion nonprofit organization with more than 165 autonomous member organizations worldwide.
Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia, Inc. (GIMG) was founded in 1975 to serve individuals with disabilities and other special needs. Since that time, the organization has continued to grow, as illustrated by the following timeline:
1996 – Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia, Inc. expanded its territory into Augusta, Georgia and Aiken, South Carolina, increasing the number of service counties to 35 to become Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia and the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA).
2007 – Helms College was established in Macon with the focus of creating an educational model for Goodwill Industries nationwide to provide skills training industry certifications, degrees in high-demand middle skill occupations in the culinary arts, medical/health, automotive technology, information technology and other occupational fields that lead to meaningful jobs for individuals.
2012 – A second campus for Helms College opened in Augusta offering education in culinary arts at its School of Hospitality.
2016 – The Augusta campus began offering classes at its School of Health Services. Helms College currently offers Associate Degree and Diploma programs in culinary arts at its Macon and Augusta campuses, and health services programs for Multi-Skilled Medical Assistant and Medical Administrative Assistant certification at the Augusta campus. The key differentiator of Helms College from other learning institutions is our abundant experiential learning.
Goodwill Middle Georgia & the CSRA also operates Edgar’s Hospitality Group (EHG), consisting of hospitality venues in Macon and Augusta with plans to build an agri-tourism campus at Lake Oconee Georgia. To learn more about the EHG properties, visit here.
What We Believe
Goodwill Industries believes work plays a critical role in the ability of individuals to achieve desirable life outcomes. The founder of Goodwill Industries, Dr. Edgar J. Helms, believed that individuals wanted and needed an opportunity, a chance beyond charity, and this basic philosophy has set the vision for the Goodwill movement since 1902.
We build lives, families and communities one career at a time by helping people develop their God-given gifts through education, work and career services.
I am proud to be Goodwill.
Service – I will practice hospitality.
Ownership – I will go above and beyond with every job I do.
Accountable – I will keep my commitments.
Respect – I will base my interactions with others on honesty and integrity.
The Role of the Chief Financial Officer
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Chief Financial Offer (CFO) will work closely with the CEO and peers to achieve GIMG’s 2025 strategic plan success measures through strategies that will enhance profitability, productivity and efficiency throughout the organization.
This key executive leadership position will lead the finance department, (annual operating budget of $55 million) with executive responsibility for budgeting, banking relationships, IT system, franchising, and mergers & acquisitions.
As member of the Goodwill Executive Leadership Team, the CFO will be expected to understand and fully embrace the faith-based, “hand up” mission of Goodwill and demonstrate daily the core values of service, ownership, accountability, and respect.
Principle Accountabilities – CFO
Plan and direct GIMG’s real estate activities, including land/building acquisitions and leasing/landlord relations. Develops all pro-forma presentations for GIMG board of director’s consideration.
- Participate in organizational strategic planning initiatives and direct/coordinate activities of department in compliance with this plan.
- In concert with VP Finance, plan and coordinate preparation of organizations annual operating business plan and budget, after collaborative negotiation with department executive leadership.
- Assume lead role in all contract reviews/negotiations and project fiscal forecasting due diligence. Develop proposals for CEO’s consideration and approval.
- Provide oversight for all capital development, and acquisition of funds for new ventures.
- Interact with senior staff to identify, evaluate and promote new business opportunities.
- Oversight responsibility of all Information Technology functions.
- Identify agency “vital” operating data elements. Create and manage IS system to capture and disseminate data on a timely basis.
- Create, foster, and manage third party relationships for banking, financing and other collateral administrative functions.
- Review for implementation by VP of Finance, statutory and regulatory compliance procedures for all fiscal functions of the organization.
- Work with VP of Finance to source, manage and publish annual certified fiscal and compliance audits.
- Prepare and maintain investment policy and long-term investments, direct and monitor performance.
- Responsible for all Risk Management and Loss Prevention functions.
- Ensure compliance within areas of responsibility of all regulatory and accreditation bodies.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Build relationships with CFO’s from other Goodwill organizations and CFO’s from other colleges and universities to obtain best practice benchmark Ideas to incorporate into GIMG procedures.
- Manage M/A and business collaborations and contract negotiations with prospective partner organizations.
- CPA licensed professional with an MBA is preferred.
- A blend of for-profit and non-profit executive experience gained leading diverse profit generating business lines.
- Minimum five years of senior management experience with a mid-size company where turn-key leadership was required.
- Experience developing information technology systems that support organization-wide operational strategic growth and sustainment.
- Banking finance and investment senior experience.
- Experience with mergers and acquisitions.
- Experience with financial management of accredited federally financial aid eligible post-secondary Institutions preferred.
- Demonstrated experience creating and taking new business ventures from a concept to a successful, revenue generating operation.
- Superior budget and/or financial planning and management skills involving multi-million dollar and multi-site operations.
- General administrative skills including developing, implementing and monitoring company-wide policies and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong people skills with abilities to partner with a dynamic leadership team and interact with all levels of employees.
- Must be aligned with and energized by Rev. Edgar Helm’s faith based social enterprise model to eliminate poverty one career at a time.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The company offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
Interested candidates should submit résumés along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Thursday, September 30, 2021.
Please email résumé with references. Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Goodwill CFO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Goodwill CFO Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
Lead Search Executive