Beacon Hall Golf Club
Located in Aurora, Ontario, Beacon Hall Golf Club (“the Club” or “Beacon Hall”) is a prestigious golf club that is consistently ranked in the top-100 courses outside the US and the top-10 in Canada. Founded in the 1980s, the Club’s vision was to appeal to golfers with a true passion for the game, a vision that guides the Club today. The Club offers its members:
- A very limited membership, as open access to the first tee is a key part of the mission
- A welcoming and friendly environment for all members
- Active men’s, ladies, intermediate, senior and junior members sections
- An inviting event and social calendar with excellent facilities for socializing and entertaining guests
- A commitment to provide “best in class” dining and member services
- The finest professional staff
- Beacon Hall’s Performance Academy, opened in May 2018, offers the highest quality golf instruction, with excellence across a broad range of services including instruction and coaching, club fitting, equipment analysis and gapping, golf fitness and personalized programming
- A scholarship/caddie program unique to Beacon Hall
- A full range and short game practice facilities
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for supporting the mission and vision of Beacon Hall Golf Club. This executive has operational management authority over the daily operations of the Club, as well as establishing short- and long-term organizational goals, objectives, plans, and policies, made in conjunction with the Board and its strategic vision and mission statement. This dynamic individual will work with the Board of Directors and Committees to provide those service levels and facilities emblematic of an elite private club. The individual must be driven in the view that the status quo is never good enough.
The GM reports to the Board of Directors through the President of the Board. The Board of Directors consists of nine elected members, three of whom are elected by the members of the Club each year for a three-year term. Standing committees include Facilities, Finance, Golf, Greens and Membership.
The GM must be professional and highly respectful in their personal style, demeanor and presence, and someone who recognizes and is comfortable interacting with all demographics of members, staff and other constituents who contribute to the success of the club. Visibility and name recognition are basic foundations of such success, and this style must be a critical competency of the top executive. He/she must be able to clearly and intuitively “walk the talk,” exemplifying how to perpetuate a true top “Club Experience” commensurate with what is one of the top golf clubs in North America.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and deliver a consistently outstanding member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier Tier 1 private golf club.
- Manage all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards, quality of activities, and service and levels of member satisfaction.
- Oversee the membership sales process and support the transaction between buyer and selling. This involves ensuring that all new club members are “met” and properly oriented to the Club.
- Develop and implement best-in-class and industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures and methods while directing the work and promoting the development of all departmental managers.
- Monitor long and short-term financial objectives and reporting. In consultation with the Board and Finance Committee, prepare and execute the financial plan for the Club as follows: (i) develop annual operating, cash, and capital budgets; (ii) monitor monthly budget and other financial information (iii) initiate effective corrective action, as required (iv) approve invoices and other arrangements before inception or payment; and (v) prepare and make timely financial reports to the Board.
- Monitor and remain current with industry trends, and ensure Beacon Hall implements improvements as required. Play a key role in the development of the Club’s long-range strategic and annual tactical plans consistent with the Club’s vision and mission.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
- Maintain and develop a management philosophy that recognizes people are a key part in the foundation of the Club’s success in delivering a great membership experience and competitive advantage. Actively promote a positive work environment where teamwork is emphasized.
- Develop and monitor basic human resource policies consistent with the Board’s desire to always treat employees fairly and remain compliant with all laws/regulations.
- Manage and clearly define direct reports’ goals and objectives. Provide consistent feedback towards continuous improvement, and ensure appropriate personal development occurs, while incorporating succession planning for all key leadership roles.
- Be visible and approachable to all employees.
Golf Course Superintendent, Head Golf Professional, Clubhouse Manager, Controller, Communications Manager
Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Beacon Hall, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training, and is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Exhibits excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to take a lead role in the development of all Club communications, working closely with the Communications Manager.
- Confident, professional and sensitive in all interactions including conflict resolution and mediation.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- An innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Direct experience with golf and food and beverage businesses.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- Engages with the membership by providing a friendly and welcoming environment.
- Operates with a member-centric mindset and takes the time to get to know the membership on a personal level.
- Displays a service-first attitude and maintains excellence in daily interactions with club members, guests, and staff.
- Schedules time at the Club to maximize engagement with all members and is committed to a service culture and excellence.
Governance Knowledge/Private Club Experience:
- Experience working with a Board and Committees at a club that has adopted a club governance structure and process.
- Confident enough to ask questions, make recommendations to the Board and engage in meaningful discussions.
- Active in the Club Managers Association of Canada and other professional associations. Attends selected conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and industry trends. A CCM designation and other industry credentials are desired.
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and retirement savings matching program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by September 12th at 5:00pm EDT.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Beacon Hall GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Beacon Hall GM Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on Beacon Hall Golf Club, visit beaconhall.com