General Manager & Chief Operating Officer
Point Grey Golf & Country Club
At its core, Point Grey is defined by those who belong to our club.
It’s been that way for the past century.
It will be that way for the next one, too.
Point Grey Golf & Country Club is a prestigious private golf club located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1922, the Club has a long history and is known for its beautiful course and high-quality facilities.
The Club features an 18-hole championship golf course that has hosted amateur and professional tournaments, including most recently the Canadian Amateur in 2022. The course is well-maintained, offering a challenging yet enjoyable experience for golfers of all skill levels.
Besides the golf course, the Club offers an exceptional, state-of-the-art practice facility called “The Farm” which complements the golf course perfectly. It was among the first clubs in North America to offer a TrackMan Range which provides extremely detailed swing and shot data. The Farm was completed in 2020 and offers all-season teaching facilities, becoming a very popular amenity among the membership. The Club also offers several dining options which have become a central component of the Club, including recently-refreshed indoor dining and a picturesque outdoor patio. The clubhouse is home to a fitness facility with state-of-the-art cardio equipment and other fitness hardware for member usage.
To provide members with an exceptional private club experience by offering superior facilities, services and programs; while at the same time promoting friendship, participation and competition.
A premier private club that:
- Is built upon golf as the foundation of Club activities;
- Serves a multi-generational membership by offering a range of social and recreational activities;
- Consistently delivers high quality, easily accessible, facilities, services and programs; and
- Provides a unique and harmonious environment for the enjoyment of families, children and adults.
- 18-hole championship golf course
- The Farm, best in class practice facility
- Dining options including a picturesque outdoor patio and recently-refreshed indoor dining
- Fitness area
- Active adult golf members: 900
- Total members: 1,350
- Initiation fee: $70,000
- Annual dues: $8,000
- Gross revenue: $9.4M
- F&B revenue: $2M
- Average member age: 52.3
- Rounds of golf annually: 40,996 (2022)
- Full-time equivalent employees: 60
- Total active employees: 100
The GM/COO is responsible for the management of all aspects of the Club’s operations and activities and the implementation of strategy and policy directives given by the Board of Directors. The GM/COO reports directly to the Board.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Leading a world-class golf facility, ensuring an exceptional member and staff experience, and assisting the Board in creating a long-range strategic plan.
- Hire, train, motivate, evaluate, appropriately compensate, inspire, lead, discipline and terminate staff in a professional and equitable manner including setting annual objectives for staff.
- Expending monies and making financial commitments on behalf of the Club within budgeted limitations.
- Administering Club rules and reporting member infractions or violations.
- Guiding and assisting the Board in the development and formulation of Club strategies and policy.
- Working with committees, as needed, to facilitate the formulation and execution of short- and long-term programs.
- Attending all Board Meetings and where appropriate, attending Committee meetings.
- Developing performance objectives and measures of progress.
- Performing such other duties as the Board may specify.
The ideal candidate possesses strong interpersonal skills, is a proven collaborator and relationship builder who possesses the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- An innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen and passion for continuous improvement.
- Able to display sound judgement and make complex decisions in support of the Club’s Vision and Mission.
- An ability to implement capital improvement projects, and drive to identify industry best practices and achieve key benchmarks.
- A dynamic leader and motivator that prides themselves on the accomplishments of their team and the willingness to provide ongoing constructive feedback.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Member experience-driven and service culture attitude
- Conducts themselves in a responsible and professional manner.
- Able to be diplomatic and tactful, yet firm, when dealing with Member constituents.
- Self-starter, results-orientated and hands-on when needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience as a leader in a private club environment or other similar top tier facility.
- A passion and understanding of what it means to deliver a consistently excellent member experience.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic plans, including overseeing the development of large capital improvement projects.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a golf-related program.
- A Certified Club Manager designation is preferred (CCM).
- Experience reporting to a Board and an understanding of club governance.
- Extremely skilled in financial and budgeting processes.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by September 1st, 2023, at 5:00pm PST.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Point Grey GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Point Grey GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on Point Grey Golf & Country Club, visit https://pointgreygolf.com/