Beaconsfield Golf Club
Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada
Beaconsfield Golf Club
The Beaconsfield Golf Club is the only private golf club on the island of Montreal, the second most populated city in Canada. Founded one hundred and seventeen years ago, it has played an important role in Canadian golf, having hosted many national and international golf events including two Canadian Opens, four LPGA events, and more recently, the Canadian Amateur Championship. The Club prides itself on the quality and setting of the golf course and its historic clubhouse. Beaconsfield is a family and business friendly club and an integral part of the West Island community. Club facilities include an 18-hole golf course, extensive practice facilities, pro shop and full clubhouse services. Its membership levels and financial position remain sound in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
To learn more about Beaconsfield Golf Club, visit here.
The Position: General Manager (GM)
Beaconsfield Golf Club is seeking a General Manager responsible to the Members of the Club and its day-to-day operations in accordance with the strategic, financial and operational direction set by the Board. The GM reports to the Board of Directors through the President. The GM is expected to play an important role in the continuing development and execution of the Club’s vision and strategic plan. The GM shall manage all aspects of the Club including activities and relationships between the Club and its members, guests, employees, community, government and industry.
- Be a highly visible face of the Club. Develop and deliver a consistently excellent experience to satisfy the members expectations in a private golf club.
- Effectively manage all aspects of the Club’s activities and services provided by the Club to ensure a high level of member satisfaction and referrals to their family, friends, and colleagues.
- Develop and implement innovative, industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures, by-laws and methods. Direct the work of and support the development of all department managers. The GM oversees external events including a limited number of golf tournaments and family celebrations.
- In consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Controller, develop and adhere to annual operating, cash, and capital budgets to deliver short and long-term financial objectives. Prepare forecasts and execute the financial plan for the Club including the development of financial reports to the Board and Finance Committee.
- The GM will lead organizational planning and development for the Club’s management team and employees and ensure the high standards of quality and service are upheld in accordance with best practices including performance appraisal and performance management.
- Lead the Club’s human resources, including establishing, initiating, and monitoring personnel policies and overseeing training and professional development programs. Act as a mentor to Direct Reports.
- Reinforce Beaconsfield’s ongoing leading position, participate proactively in all Board and Board Committee meetings with a view of advising the Board on strategies to continuously adapt to sociological changes and changing demographics
- Coordinating the marketing and member relations programs to promote the Club’s services and to present to potential members. Develop ongoing dialogue and rapport with members by being present at all major Club functions.
- Ensuring compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
Head Golf Professional, Golf Course Superintendent, Controller, F&B Manager, and all clubhouse operations. The Club employs 100+/- people during the golf season.
Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic, business objectives and leading the continuing excellence of Beaconsfield Golf Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dependable, and dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example.
- Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback with recognition that leads to positive outcomes. Fully engage and inspire department managers and their teams to enhance member experiences.
- Is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Proudly represent the Club to external groups.
- Experience as a leader in a private golf club environment or other similar top tier golf facility
- Experience reporting to a board that has adopted a club governance structure, and processes to lead the Club and GM to thrive. Experience developing policy and by-laws.
Member and Guest Experience:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service as expected at a member-owned club.
- Experience in the hospitality industry with an excellent understanding of food and beverage operations, including pricing, menu development, inventory management and costing.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for the golf course and all facilities, services, and communications.
- Analytical with the ability to proactively use data in forecasting and managing revenue and cost.
- Demonstrate integrity, ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful leader through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, empathy, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work-style combined with strong verbal and written communication in both official languages.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing needs in schedule demands and time commitments. There is an expectation this leading role will be present and visible at Club events.
- Demonstrates energy with a desire to interact and build relationships with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic, competent professional who is results driven. A take-charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability and innovation.
- A track record of strong professional results with a clear commitment to member service.
- Interacts with an open and transparent approach with members while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a strong understanding of all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, marketing, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- Experience managing golf course operations and capital projects.
- Values marketing (including digital) and its organizational impact.
- Direct experience and understanding of the operation of a not-for-profit golf course including the hospitality aspects.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- Efficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail and use of the Internet and social media platforms.
- A post-secondary degree in business, hospitality or professional golf management credential is preferable.
- Evidence of continued professional development.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits.
Application Process and Deadline:
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Thursday, September 23, 2021.
Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Beaconsfield Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, Beaconsfield Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lead Search Executives
GGA Partners, Inc.
GGA Partners Inc.