Brantford Golf & Country Club
About the Club
Located alongside the Grand River in Brantford, Ontario, the Brantford Golf & Country Club is widely known as the fourth oldest golf club in North America, founded in 1879. The golf course consistently ranks in the top 100 golf courses in Canada. The course layout was originally designed by Nicol and Stanley Thompson, with changes made over the years including a major renovation that began in the fall of 2021 and will conclude summer 2023.
The clubhouse is a modern facility completely rebuilt in 2002. The clubhouse offers fine dining overlooking the fourth hole and the picturesque Grand River and conservation area. An outdoor patio is the highlight of the summer dining season as it also overlooks the river and the golf course.
Brantford boasts a strong history of developing junior golfers including two former junior members who ascended to the highest ranks of the golf world. PGA and LPGA Tour members David Hearn and Alena Sharp have played under the Brantford Golf & Country Club banner for almost twenty years. Brantford has also hosted many professional and amateur championships throughout its history. The 1970 (Al Balding) and 1986 (Dan Halldorson) CPGA championships were held at Brantford. Canadian Open Monday qualifying was also held at the Club for many years.
The Club also has a six-sheet curling rink attached to the clubhouse. The curling rink has its own lounge with viewing at ice level, and above from the main lobby area. The curling section has hosted provincial championships and world-class bonspiels that featured then current and former national and world champion teams from Canada, U.S.A., Europe and elsewhere in the world.
For more information about Brantford Golf & Country Club, visit https://brantfordgolfandcountryclub.com/ .
We are seeking a General Manager (GM) who is dedicated to the Club’s Mission, Vision and Values. The GM is the leader of the Club’s management team and is responsible for overseeing and managing all facets of the Club’s operations.
The General Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Lead and manage the organization in accordance with the strategies, plans and policies as developed along with and by the Board of Directors.
- Effectively manage all aspects of the Club including financial controls, marketing, maintenance of our assets including the golf course and clubhouse.
- Develop and deliver a consistent member experience ensuring a high level of quality and service to members, guests and outside functions.
- Develop and implement operating policies, procedures and programs that lead to strong financial controls and internal discipline.
- Develop programs and financial forecasts that consider near-term goals and objectives and long-term needs that lead to a complete picture of future capital requirements.
- Must be able to anticipate changes to our membership that will affect future revenue streams.
- Develop budgets that are realistic and achievable. This includes forecasting annual operating revenues and expenses, considering current and expected/anticipated economic challenges, opportunities and other potential developments.
- Develop an organizational structure that fosters personal development and growth of all staff members, which leads to greater member experience, and career advancement for staff.
- Be a visible and outgoing presence with club members and guests. Welcome new members with a thorough orientation program.
- Develop marketing initiatives and tools that increase the visibility of the Club to current and potential new members. Develop and maintain the Club as a focal point in the community.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements affecting the club.
- Maintain effective and efficient communication with staff and members.
Head Golf Professional, Grounds Superintendent, Clubhouse Manager, Office Manager.
The GM will report to the Board of Directors through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Brantford Golf & Country Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dependable, and dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example.
- Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback with recognition that leads to positive outcomes. Fully engage and inspire department managers and their teams to enhance member experiences.
- Exhibit leadership skills in continued team building, employee motivation and service training consistent with the Board’s desire to create a club environment that is inclusive and safe for all members and staff.
- Foster and support equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) within the Club through adoption of best practices for an inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Proudly represent the Club as its spokesperson to internal and external groups through strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to coach direct reports as required.
Member and Guest Experience:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service as expected at a member-owned club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services, and communications.
- Demonstrates integrity, ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful leader through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, empathy, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work-style combined with excellent verbal and written communication as well as interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- A confident, diplomatic, competent professional who is a “doer”. A take-charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability and innovation.
- A track record of strong professional results with a clear commitment to member service.
- Interacts with an open and transparent approach with members while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a strong understanding of all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management, marketing and performance management.
- An innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Experience successfully leading hospitality operations in a club or similar setting.
- Ability to maintain the financial integrity and viability of the Club.
- A post-secondary degree in business, hospitality or professional golf management credential is preferable.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Experience as a senior leader in a private club environment or other similar top tier facility.
- A passion and understanding of what it means to deliver a consistently excellent member experience.
- Hospitality experience with an excellent understanding of food and beverage operations, including pricing, menu development, inventory management and costing.
- Proven experience developing and managing budgets and business plans.
- Experience reporting to a board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to thrive.
- Evidence of continued professional development.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by January 11, 2022. If you require any accommodations to be considered for this position, please include that information in your submission. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Brantford GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Brantford GM Resume”) respectively to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview. Please email resume with references.
Lead Search Consultant:
Managing Director & Partner