RICHMOND COUNTRY CLUB
In 1951, a group of young Vancouver Jewish business and professional men purchased a nine-hole golf course in West Vancouver (Glen Eagles Country Club). They did this because there were few, if any, country clubs in the Lower Mainland who admitted Jewish members. In 1959, under the leadership of a small group of people from the Jewish Community, and with the support of many interested members, Richmond Country Club was created. The services of golf course architect, Arthur Vernon Macan, were engaged to build an outstanding course, with 5,000 new trees planted in a park-like setting. Since that time, the Club continues to attract a diverse group of members, who want to be part of an engaged social community; who are looking for family activity or an athletic outlet, and who want to get involved in a private club atmosphere.
In 1991, both the clubhouse and golf course were renovated with added amenities of the Fitness Centre and significant improvements to the swimming pool. Since then, a further renovation has taken place with many upgrades to our facility that included newly updated indoor (4) and outdoor tennis courts (4 – bubbled in winter), an updated fitness centre, heated outdoor pool and two renovated restaurants. The Club contributes to amateur golf and tennis by periodically hosting provincial and national events.
Our mission is to be one of North America’s most dynamic, full facility family Country Clubs while respecting and maintaining our core values and Jewish Heritage. Our values include Stewardship, Integrity, Respect, Fairness, Service, Leadership and Accountability, Innovation and Creativity.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the General Manager (“GM”) will guide and work with the Board in the development and implementation of Club policies, programs and strategy. The GM shall manage all aspects of the Club including activities and relationships between the Club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry.
Richmond Country Club is seeking a GM who is dedicated to being the best and is willing to embrace the Club’s core values.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and deliver a consistently outstanding member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier private club.
- Manage all aspects of the Club’s activities to ensure and maintain the highest standards and quality of activities and service provided by the Club to ensure a high level of member satisfaction.
- Oversee the development and successful implementation of all marketing and member relations programs to both attract new members and foster positive relations with existing members and their guests. Ensure all new club members are “met” and properly oriented to the Club. It is important to be visible and accessible to our members.
- Act as a catalyst in the development of a Strategic Plan that charts the future course of the Club. The plan will be updated on an annual basis and will act as the framework in which the Club is operated. The achievement of the key objectives in the plan will be the primary responsibility of the GM.
- Develop and implement an Annual Business Plan in the context of the Strategic Plan. Regularly update the Board on progress relative to both the Strategic and Annual Business Plans.
- Maintain and develop a management philosophy that recognizes our people are a key part of the foundation of the Club’s success in delivering a great membership experience and competitive advantage. Actively promote a positive work environment where teamwork is emphasized.
- Develop and monitor Human Resource policies consistent with the Board’s desire to treat employees fairly at all times and be compliant with all laws and regulations.
- Manage and clearly define direct reports’ goals and objectives. Provide consistent feedback towards continuous improvement, and ensure appropriate personal development occurs, while incorporating succession planning for all key leadership roles.
- Be visible and approachable to all employees.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
- Develop and implement best-in-class and industry leading operating policies, programs, procedures and methods while directing the work and promoting the development of all department managers.
- Monitor long and short-term financial objectives and reporting. In consultation with the Board, Finance Committee and Accountant, prepare and execute the financial plan for the Club that drives Club revenues and achieves the agreed upon financial results.
- Monitor and stay current with industry trends and ensure Richmond Country Club implements improvements as required.
- Provide quality and timely communication with the Club’s President, Board, employees and members. Working collaboratively with the Board, this position will take responsibility/ownership of all aspects of Club operations, and share in the Club’s overall success.
Assistant General Manager, Controller, Membership Director (vacant), Director of Racquets and Athletics, Food and Beverage Director, Head Golf Professional, Golf Course Superintendent, Facilities Manager.
The GM reports to the Board of Directors through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Richmond Country Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes to enhance Member experiences through inspiring department managers and employees. Exhibits leadership skills in team building, employee motivation and service training and is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a premium private club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications.
- Leads our Commitment to Health and safety protocols and processes.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful GM through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work style combined with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to interact with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic and competent professional who is a “doer” and a take charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member approach while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Direct experience with golf, tennis, fitness and food and beverage businesses preferred.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is preferred.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Previous experience as a senior leader at a private country club or other similar top tier facility, with a passion and understanding of what it means to have a premium country club experience.
- Experience in the hospitality industry beneficial.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to success.
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
Note: The position is currently vacant.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, April 7, 2021. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Richmond Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, Richmond Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com.
For more information on Richmond Country Club please visit richmondcc.ca.