GENERAL MANAGER/CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
WHITEVALE GOLF CLUB
Whitevale Golf Club
With the first game enjoyed in 1958, Whitevale is a member owned, private golf club conveniently located in north Pickering, Ontario. We have a scenic championship golf course and a world class practice facility. Our sanctuary is surrounded by conservation lands to our east, west and south.
Completed in 2015, our state-of-the-art Clubhouse, designed by Richard Wengle, sits high on the landscape ensuring the perfect vantage point to awe inspiring views from all our dining, patio, and lounge areas. More recently, our Golf Operations and Turf Care Facility was completed in 2020.
Whitevale Golf Club provides an exceptional golf experience whether it is a casual round with family or friends or providing opportunities for members to compete and develop their game. Our course is our showcase, and it is conditioned to please and entertain members and guests alike.
The Position: General Manager & Chief Operating Officer
Whitevale Golf Club is seeking a General Manager and Chief Operating Officer who is dedicated to the Club’s Mission, Vision and Values. Reporting to the Board of Directors through the President, the role of the GM/COO is to manage Club operations in accordance with the strategic, financial, and operational direction set by the Board.
Guided by Policies and Bylaws, the GM/COO shall manage all aspects of the Club including activities and relationships between the Club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry. The GM/COO is the leader of the Club’s management team and is responsible for managing all facets of the Club’s operations.
- Develop and deliver a consistently excellent experience to satisfy the members expectations in a private golf club.
- Effectively manage all aspects of the Club’s activities and services provided by the Club to ensure a high level of member satisfaction and referrals to their family, friends, and colleagues.
- Develop and implement innovative, industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures, and methods. Direct the work of and support the development of all department managers.
- In consultation with the Board and Finance Committee, deliver long and short-term financial objectives.
- Prepare forecasts and executing the financial plan for the Club including development of annual operating, cash, and capital budgets. Preparing financial reports to the Board and Finance Committee.
- Lead the Club’s human resources, including establishing, initiating, and monitoring personnel policies and overseeing training and professional development programs. Create an environment where staff wishes to return, and candidates want to join the Team. Act as a mentor to Direct Reports.
- Coordinate and implement the strategies within the Club’s short and long-range strategic plan as created by the Long-Range Planning Committee and the Board.
- Welcome new Club members, “meet and greet” all Club members as practical during their visits to the Club.
- Coordinating the marketing and member relations programs to promote the Club’s services and facilities to present to potential members. Develop ongoing dialogue and rapport with members by being present at all major Club functions.
- Ensuring compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
Head Golf Professional, Golf Course Superintendent, Executive Chef, Food and Beverage Manager, Events Coordinator, Social Media and Marketing Coordinator, Membership Administrator, General Accountant.
The GM/COO will report to the Board of Directors through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic, business objectives and leading the continuing transformation at Whitevale Golf Club it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dependable, and dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example.
- Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback with recognition that leads to positive outcomes. Fully engage and inspire department managers and their teams to enhance member experiences.
- Exhibit leadership skills in continued team building, employee motivation and service training.
- Is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Proudly represent the Club to external groups.
Member and Guest Experience:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service as expected at a member-owned club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for the golf course and all facilities, services, and communications.
- Analytical with the ability to proactively use data in forecasting and managing revenue and cost.
- Demonstrates integrity, ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful leader through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, empathy, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented work-style combined with excellent verbal and written communication as well as interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing needs in schedule demands & time commitments. There is an expectation this position will be present and visible at Club events.
- Demonstrates energy with a desire to interact and build relationships with the membership.
- A confident, diplomatic, competent professional who is a “doer”. A take-charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability and innovation.
- A track record of strong professional results with a clear commitment to member service.
- Interacts with an open and transparent approach with members while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a strong understanding of all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, marketing, human resources, risk management and performance management.
- Experience managing golf course operations and capital projects.
- Values marketing (including digital) and its organizational impact.
- Direct experience and understanding of the operation of a not-for-profit golf course including the hospitality aspects.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- Efficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail and use of the Internet & social media platforms.
- A post-secondary degree in business, hospitality or professional golf management credential is preferable.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Experience as a senior leader in a private golf club environment or other similar top tier golf facility
- A passion and understanding of what it means to deliver a private golf club experience.
- Experience in the hospitality with an excellent understanding of food and beverage operations, including pricing, menu development, inventory management and costing.
- Proven experience developing and managing budgets and business plans.
- Experience reporting to a board that has adopted a club governance, structure, and processes to lead the Club and GM/COO to thrive.
- Evidence of continued professional development.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity & benefits.
Application Process and Deadline
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, April 30, 2021. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Whitevale Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, Whitevale Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Whitevale Golf Club please visit whitevalegolfclub.com.