Camp Lake James
Nebo, North Carolina
Located in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, Camp Lake James offers the ultimate in lake lifestyle. The Camp has everything members need to relax, play and create special memories with family, friends and neighbors.
Activities and amenities abound at Camp Lake James. From our outdoor amphitheater, pools (adult and kids), hot tub, disc golf course and campsites to our beach sports, fitness center and sport courts that include pickleball, tennis, bocce and shuffleboard, the biggest decision our members make it what to do next.
After a day of activities, members like to kick back at the Expo Bar, County Line Canteen or Social Hall to enjoy great food, drinks and company served with warm hospitality.
At Camp Lake James, you’ll find a staff skilled at hospitality and dedicated to providing a wide range of events and activities that appeal to all age groups. Their goal is to make each new member gathering more memorable than the last.
Members become part of Camp Lake James by owning property at one of two communities on Lake James – 1780 and Olde Wildlife. At present, approximately 60 member families are full-time residents; the remaining members consider their residence at the Camp a second home. Additionally, the Board has authority to sell a limited number of annual Recreational Licenses which grant Camp access.
Camp Lake James Overview
- 321 members (homesites)
- $1.60M Gross volume
- $950K Annual dues
- $350K F&B/Events volume
- 25 Employees in-season; 4-6 off-season
- 5 Board members
The General Manager Position
The General Manager reports to the Board and coordinates with the President of the Board on a regular basis. The General Manager implements the policies established by the Board of directors and the Club’s bylaws. He/she develops operational policies and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all areas. This includes the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets and management of operations to attain the desired results.
The General Manager coordinates all management functions and works in concert with committee chairs in assisting them in the development of proposed policies, programs, events, etcetera.
The General Manager is the lead coordinator of programming and development of synergy among all departments. Overseeing the strategies for high levels of member engagement and experience is a critical part of the position.
The General Manager should have a strong presence and seek to be highly visible to the membership and staff. They set the tone for consistently treating members with first-class hospitality and communicate this expectation to the entire staff as well.
Important Individual Characteristics:
- A naturally enthusiastic personality and passion for hospitality and excellent customer service.
- Experience and knowledge running a year-round club with attendance fluctuations based on season.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement.
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the board and committees and homeowners.
- Able to step into any functional area, as needed, including budget and financial oversight, HR, F&B, Activities, and facilities management with a hands-on approach when needed.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club come to fruition.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of top-notch food and beverage and event experiences for Club members and guests.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of actual operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets and cash flow management.
- Maintain high level of visibility among members and staff.
- Understands the importance of digital communication and can utilize web and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club or hospitality environment. Current Assistant General Managers or Clubhouse Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement will also be considered.
- Solid experience in Resort Management and Resort Hospitality will be considered
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business is preferred, but not required.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, May 13, 2022.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Camp LJ GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Camp LJ GM Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please e-mail resume with references.
For more information about Camp Lake James, please visit camplakejames.com