Director of Finance
The Badminton and Racquet Club of Toronto
About The Club
The Badminton and Racquet Club of Toronto is a preeminent private athletic and social club in midtown Toronto known for its personal touch, lasting friendships, multi-generational families, and loyal members and staff. The B&R is the ideal place for anyone with a passion for racquet sports, wanting to learn a new activity, staying forever young, or simply wanting to be part of a vibrant social scene.
Renowned for our welcoming community and camaraderie, the B&R is a home away from home where members of all ages enjoy, and are enriched by racquet, fitness, wellness, and social experiences.
Your B&R – Your Way
The Badminton and Racquet Club of Toronto is recruiting for a Director of Finance who must not only possess a broad knowledge of all accounting, financial, and business principles, leadership, analytical, and strategic thinking skills, but must also be able to fit into an organizational culture that promotes openness, mentoring, teamwork, innovation, tradition, creativity, stability, and financial results.
The Director of Finance will work closely with the Senior Management Group and Finance, Audit, Property and Planning Committee and will oversee all financial aspects of the business while driving the organization’s financial strategy and planning. The Director will also be responsible for assessing the financial performance of the Club, possible risks, and investments while ensuring legal and regulatory compliance for all Club accounting and financial reporting functions; The ideal candidate must be familiar the relevant tax laws, payroll, reporting requirements, and generally accepted accounting principles affecting the Club.
The Director of Finance will be directly responsible for the establishment and recommendation of financial policies, procedures, controls, investments, and reporting systems, and the supervision and management of general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll, and such personnel. In addition, this role has oversight responsibility for the Club’s IT systems and, its expenses, as well as the independent contractors with whom the Club engages.
The Director of Finance reports to the Chief Operating Officer. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the business objectives of the club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following requirements:
Leadership / Managerial Experience
- Excellent managerial and leadership skills.
- Ability to respond appropriately and find solutions in high pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- Ability to lead committees and present to a group in a professional and polished manner.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills.
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, members, boards and committees, key business partners, and government agencies.
- Ability to show a well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Strong presentation skills in a group setting.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office, POS, and financial management software systems, especially advanced functions withing Excel. Northstar system proficiency an asset.
- Good understanding of IT infrastructure management.
- BS/BA in accounting, finance, or relevant field; MS/MA is an asset.
- CPA or other relevant qualification an asset.
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in finance with at least 3 years of experience in management and as a Director of Finance or similar role.
- Experience in the private club or service industry an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant and current corporate finance and accounting principles, laws, and best practices.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in dealing with accounting systems, budgets, internal controls, business planning and asset management.
- Extensive experience in creating and managing budgets for medium to large organizations.
- Strong knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Mathematical reasoning.
- Diplomatic, Analytical, Strategic Planner, High Attention to Detail, High Levels of Integrity and Confidentiality, Member Focused, Decisive, Problem Solver, Results Focused, Organized, Excellent Time Management Skills.
The position will be available in Early 2024.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits including:
- 100% Health and Dental Benefit Coverage
- LTD and Life
- MBO Bonus
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Sunday, December 31, 2023.
Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, TheBandR Resume” and ‘Last Name, First Name, TheBandR Cover Letter”) respectively to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultants:
Managing Director & Partner
Dee Anna Clarke
For more information on The Badminton and Racquet Club of Toronto, visit https://www.thebandr.com/