Gaston Country Club
For more than 60 years, Gaston Country Club has been a refuge for families to enjoy an active lifestyle. The centerpiece of the Club is an Ellis Maples 18-hole golf course which opened for play in 1958. In 2003/04, under the direction architect Kris Spence the course underwent a restoration and has since enjoyed a reputation as one of North Carolina’s Top 100 golf courses, hosting such prestigious events as the Wells Fargo Championship qualifiers, N.C. Women’s Amateur, along with many Carolina Golf Association tournaments.
Distinguished by its elegance and traditional southern touches, the clubhouse overlooks the golf course providing grand views from our multiple dining and event spaces. Alongside the clubhouse is our golf shop and practice facility featuring a multi-directional range and short game practice facility. Beyond golf, our members enjoy the best swimming and tennis facilities in the area. Our tennis complex boasts six Har-Tru courts and four hard courts, all lighted, allowing for year-round play. Families, both young and old, enjoy basking in the sun by the junior Olympic size pool, kiddie pool & play area, and water slide.
In addition to our top notch facilities, members enjoy a variety of social events for all ages offering terrific opportunities to mingle with old friends or meet new ones.
Club Facts and Figures
- 589 members. 459 golf, 47 social, 40 clubhouse, 43 other
- Initiation fee: Resident member golf, $6,000 (increasing to $8,500 in 2022)
- Annual dues: $2,470,000
- Gross volume: $4,328,000 (including dues)
- F&B volume: $942,000
- Gross payroll: $2,040,000
- 95 employees in-season; 75 off-season
- 11 Board members
- Average age of membership: 59
The General Manager Position
The General Manager reports to the Board and coordinates with its President on a regular basis to implement the established policies and the Club’s bylaws.
The General Manager also coordinates all management functions and works in concert with committee chairs to assist in the development of proposed policies, programs, events, etc.
He/she develops operational policies and is responsible for the creation and implementation of standard operating procedures for all departments. This includes the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets and management of operations to attain the desired results.
This position requires taking the lead to coordinate programming and the development of departmental synergy. Another critical requirement of the position is to oversee the internal and external marketing strategies for membership growth and member engagement.
A strong and visible presence will be a daily requirement to set the example for all employees to consistently treat members with warm hospitality and professional service.
- Membership & Marketing Director
- Food & Beverage Director
- Catering & Events Director
- Tennis Director
- Head Golf Professional
- Director of Agronomy
- Facilities Maintenance Director
Important Individual Characteristics
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the board and committees.
- Disciplined follow-through to ensure the vision and goals of the Club come to fruition.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- A natural leadership style which promotes staff and membership engagement.
- An enthusiastic personality and passion for the club management profession.
- Ability to cultivate a high-level of member services and satisfaction.
- Possess a strong understanding of how to deliver remarkable food and beverage experiences.
- Effective fiscal management through delivery of operational and capital results in alignment with approved budgets.
- Maintain a high level of visibility to members and staff as the face of the Club.
- Understands the importance of digital communication and can utilize web and social media tools to communicate with the staff and membership.
- Ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a private club environment. Current Assistant General Managers or Clubhouse Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement will also be considered.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred.
Note: A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, December 15, 2021.
Documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Gaston GM Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Gaston GM Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail resume with references.
For more information about Gaston Country Club, please visit www.gastoncc.com.
Lead Search Executive