Chief Executive Officer
The Glencoe Club and
The Glencoe Golf & Country Club
The Glencoe Club
The Glencoe Club is Calgary’s premier private sports and social club providing programs and services for all members of the family. Nestled between the beautiful Calgary neighbourhoods of Mount Royal and Elbow Park, the Club is committed to creating exceptional experiences and to be members’ second home, providing excellence in all aspects of the Club. Members come to the Club to train and play in its excellent sports and recreation facilities; grow and excel in the vast array of programs; enjoy specialty services; dine in first-class restaurants; and create long-lasting memories with friends and family.
The Glencoe Golf & Country Club
With 45 holes across three stunning courses and an expansive Clubhouse overlooking beautiful greens, The Glencoe Golf & Country Club offers an abundance of golf opportunities and amenities. Nestled along the Elbow River and just minutes outside of Calgary, members are welcomed with pristine views and immersed in nature while enjoying an exceptional round of golf with family and friends. The Club’s knowledgeable staff and expert golf professionals, plus the carefully crafted menus and fun events, leave a lasting impression on everyone who visits.
About the Club
Mission and Vision
With a Mission of creating exceptional experiences and a vision to be our members’ second home, the Glencoe Club aims to provide excellence in all that we do; stressing values of Respect, Wellness, Integrity, Relationships, Caring and Innovation.
- Family oriented
- Excellence in quality-of-service delivery in sports, recreation, food and beverage and other services
- Strong value proposition
- Efficient and environmentally aware
- Diverse and inclusive
- Community aware, support neighborhood lifestyle
Govern self and others according to the values of The Glencoe Club and The Glencoe Golf and Country Club:
- Show that we care in everything we do.
- Build relationships with members and employees.
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Do what is best for the members, staff and the Club based on integrity.
- Continuously improve processes, systems and services through innovation.
- Commit to a pro-active health and safety program that focuses on wellness.
CEO Position Summary
As the Board’s top executive employee and official link to the operating Club, the CEO is accountable for all the operational performance and exercises all authority transmitted by the Board into the day-to-day operations of The Glencoe Club and The Glencoe Golf and Country Club. The CEO works in collaboration with the Board of Directors to set the strategic direction and has a commitment to the achievement of the vision and mission of the Clubs.
The CEO manages the successful operations of The Glencoe Club and The Glencoe Golf & Country Club, and ensures implementation of all Board policies and procedures.
Skills, Experience and Attributes of the New CEO
The Glencoe CEO will be a strategist, planner, implementer and leader. Glencoe now is working very well, is well run, both the downtown club and suburban golf club operations are in excellent shape; capably led and managed by two General managers. The CEO’s focus is forward looking development, leading and developing the operations, not managing them.
Critical factor is a track record of success and experience at senior levels of management, leadership, business development and financial management. Understanding of operational dimensions within a recreation or sports club, hospitality and/or food service operation is valuable and private club management experience is an asset but not a requirement.
Strategic Leadership and Implementation
- Working collaboratively and in alignment with the Board, both contributing, leading and following strategic direction.
- Ability to understand the market, environment, trends, opportunities and obstacles in developing strategies and tactics within the Clubs’ long-term plan.
- Appreciation, alignment and respect for Glencoe Club’s culture and history.
- Creative, progressive, innovative, leading evolutionary change not revolution or dramatic shifts in culture or offers.
- Ability to lead large projects, design and lead program implementation.
- Understand, manage risk profile and develop mitigation approaches.
Finance and Systems Leadership
- High degree of financial acumen and experience in strategic development.
- Qualifications and experience at senior leadership level:
- Developing and managing budgets and forecasts, long range financial plans
- Managing balance sheets and cash flow
- Oversight of financial reports and benchmarking that provide intelligence to effective decision making, within regulatory requirements
- Ensure effective reward programs that support staffing to achieve strategies
- Ensure diligence and applicable coverage in all forms of insurance.
- Risk Assessment Management structures that support appropriate actions.
- Ensure systems and technology supports strategy and current operations.
- Respectful and collegial leader and mentor, rising above managing and setting a positive culture and tone from the top.
- Supporting all levels of management in retaining the right people to deliver the mission, including maintaining market competitive total rewards.
- With Management and Staff – build trusting relationships. Hold people accountable for results, delegating effectively.
- Ensure sustainable leadership, identify gaps, build succession opportunities and development plans to reach them.
- With Board – build credibility and respect, develop trusting, transparent and productive relationships. Effective communicator and presenter.
- With members – visibly exemplify Club values, effective communicator, demonstrate approachability and empathy, effective oversight of issue management.
- With service providers, local and greater community, regulators, and local, provincial government – engaged, credible, approachable, effective represent the Glencoe brand and values.
- Understands operational dimensions within a sports club, hospitality and/or food service operation.
- Private club management experience an asset but not a requirement.
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent communication, writing and public speaking skills.
- A diplomatic, outgoing personality able to foster relationships with members, Board of Directors and staff.
- Strong leadership and ambassadorial skills.
- Experience in administration of Athletics, Recreation, Golf, Member Services, Food & Beverage, Facility Operations and Human Resources.
- Strong organizational and management skills with the ability to effectively delegate and manage the performance of others.
- Strong business acumen complimented by financial and entrepreneurial skills.
- Excellent member service and interpersonal skills.
- Working towards or having achieved Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred.
Glencoe Club General Manager, Glencoe Golf and Country Club General Manager, Chief Financial Officer/Chief Information Officer, Director of People and Culture, Health and Safety Manager, Communications & Creative Director, Executive Administrator.
The successful applicant will receive an attractive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications along with a comprehensive health benefits plan and pension program.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the position qualifications and describes your alignment with the position by November 19, 2023.
Documents are required to be submitted in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Glencoe CEO Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name, Glencoe CEO Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Lead Search Consultants:
Managing Director & Partner
For more information on The Glencoe Club, visit https://glencoe.org/web/pages/home
For more information on The Glencoe Golf & Country Club, visit https://glencoegolf.org/