General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
Uplands Golf Club
Victoria, British Columbia
Uplands Golf Club
The Uplands Golf Club is described as “the course you can walk for life” as the parkland style course opens itself up to golfers with our varying vistas but very limited change in elevation. According to the Guinness Book of Records, Arthur Thompson, (1869-1975) carded 103 on January 1, 1973 at Uplands, making him the oldest golfer ever to shoot his age. This is a tribute to an extraordinary man but also to a very walkable and playable course at any time of the year.
The Club is situated on 120 scenic acres adjacent to the University of Victoria. Uplands Golf Club is most recognized for its exceptional well-groomed fairways and greens which are playable on a year-round basis. Just 10 minutes from downtown Victoria, it is accessible from all Greater Victoria districts.
As the Club enters its 100th Birthday year, it has embarked on a multi-year plan of course improvements guided by a plan from golf architect Jeff Mingay. The Club has hosted 19 PGA of Canada events and is a favourite with players at all levels.
The Clubhouse has rooms that accommodate gatherings both large and small, and spacious sundecks with views of the incredible wooded course. As a certified member of the Audubon Sanctuary Programme, Uplands continues its commitment to ensuring that the underlying principles and guidelines of nature conservation are fully adhered to.
To learn more about the Club, visit www.uplandsgolfclub.com.
The Position: General Manager and Chief Operating Officer
Uplands Golf Club is seeking a General Manager and Chief Operating Officer (GM/COO) who is dedicated to the Club’s Mission Statement and Guiding Principles. Reporting to the Board of Directors through the President, the GM/COO is responsible for the management of all aspects of the Club’s activities in leading the Club towards the development and achievement of the strategic and business planning goals. The GM/COO shall develop operating procedures and guidelines as necessary to respond to the overall policy directives passed by the Board of Directors.
- Develop and deliver a consistently excellent member experience commensurate with specified member expectations and in keeping with a premier private club.
- Effectively manage all aspects of the Club’s activities and services to ensure a high level of member satisfaction and referrals to their family, friends, and colleagues.
- Develop and implement innovative, industry-leading operating policies, programs, procedures, and methods. Direct the work of and support the development of all department managers.
- In consultation with the Board, deliver long and short-term financial objectives. Ensure that the financial integrity of the Club is maintained at all times.
- Prepare forecasts and execute the financial plan for the Club including development of annual operating, cash, and capital budgets. Prepare financial reports to the Board.
- Develop an organizational structure that is in keeping with the values and the strategic direction of the Club. Act as a mentor to Direct Reports.
- Coordinate and implement the strategies within the Club’s short and long-range strategic plan as approved by the Board.
- Welcome new Club members, “meet and greet” all Club members as practical during their visits to the Club.
- Maintain a visible and outgoing presence and lines of communications in the Club with members and staff. Responsible for ensuring communications initiatives and appropriate marketing tools are developed to increase the visibility of the Club to current and potential members.
- Develop ongoing dialogue and rapport with members by being present at all major Club functions.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements affecting the Club.
Head Golf Professional, Master Superintendent, Food and Beverage Manager, Membership/Office and Website Administrator, Accountant and Member Accounts Secretary.
The GM/COO will report to the Board of Directors through the President. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic and business objectives of Uplands Golf Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- A trustworthy, dependable, and dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivating staff and leading by example.
- Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, continuous performance feedback with recognition that leads to positive outcomes. Fully engage and inspire department managers and their teams to enhance member experiences.
- Exhibit leadership skills in continued team building, employee motivation and service training consistent with the Board’s desire to create a club environment that is inclusive and safe for all members and staff.
- Forward-thinking, follows industry trends, and strives for continuous improvement to ensure the Club implements improvements as required.
- Foster and support equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) within the Club through adoption of best practices for an inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Proudly represent the Club as its spokesperson to internal and external groups through strong communication and presentation skills.
- Provide support and advice to the Board of Directors and its committees.
Member and Guest Experience:
- Thorough understanding of and capacity to consistently deliver exceptional standards of service as expected at a member-owned club.
- Ability to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services, and communications.
- Demonstrates integrity, ethical conduct in words and deeds; embodies the characteristics of a successful leader through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, empathy, and dedication.
- A self-starter with a results-oriented workstyle combined with excellent verbal and written communication as well as interpersonal skills demonstrated with all the Club’s stakeholders.
- A confident, diplomatic, competent professional who is a “doer”. A take-charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability and innovation.
- A track record of strong professional results with a clear commitment to member service.
- Interacts with an open and transparent approach with members while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence.
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a strong understanding of all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management, marketing and performance management.
- Understands and applies new club industry technologies.
- An innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing complex capital projects.
- Experience successfully leading hospitality operations in a club or similar setting.
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles.
- A post-secondary degree in business, hospitality or professional golf management credential is preferable.
Experience and Accreditation:
- Experience as a senior leader in a private club environment or other similar top tier facility.
- A passion and understanding of what it means to deliver a consistently excellent member experience.
- Hospitality experience with an excellent understanding of food and beverage operations, including pricing, menu development, inventory management and costing.
- Proven experience developing and managing budgets and business plans.
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes.
- Evidence of continued professional development.
The Club will offer a competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience.
Application Process and Deadline:
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Friday, January 28, 2022. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Uplands Resume” and “Last Name, First Name, Uplands Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lead Search Executives